Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't access computor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shaunterr

shaunterr

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:52 AM

i attempted to access my win 7 laptop but it wouldn't start and went to startup repair but it couldn't be fixed i tried frst and this is what i got

Mod Edit:  Removed FRST data posted.  FRST is not used in this forum, see https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum-167/announcement-45-no-frst-dds-otl-hijackthis-or-combofix-logs-should-be-posted-in-this-forum/ .  There is no indication that malware is at work, so topic will remain in Win 7 forum - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 14 November 2017 - 05:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:18 AM

I suggest that you first disconnect the hard drive and attach it as a secondary drive on a working system.  If you can see/access the files on the drive, that would be 1 big hurdle cleared.  If not, then I suggest running the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive.

Louis

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:06 AM

If your system is a laptop you might have a hard time attaching the hard drive as a secondary drive to a working system - which I'm sure you have a working system laying around, right?

Maybe if you tell us more about your system you will get some other ideas that might be easier:

What is your system make and model?

If a Dell, what is the Service Tag number?

If an HP what is the serial number?

What is the installed Windows Edition (Home, Pro, etc.) and Service Pack?

Does the system have a working CD/DVD drive?

Do you have a genuine bootable Windows 7 installation CD that matches your installed Windows Edition and Service Pack?

If the system used to work what do you think happened to it since the last time the system worked properly?

When you attempted to repair the system and "it couldn't be fixed" is that what the message said or did it say something else?

What happens when you attempt to start Windows normally?

Having never used FRST and if you did how were you able to do that if the system does not boot?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 shaunterr

shaunterr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:35 AM

i have a secondary pc i can connect my drive to or i can use my hard drive reader and just take everything off that i want and format the drive

Edited by shaunterr, 22 December 2017 - 05:53 AM.

#5 shaunterr

shaunterr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:50 AM

If your system is a laptop you might have a hard time attaching the hard drive as a secondary drive to a working system - which I'm sure you have a working system laying around, right?

Maybe if you tell us more about your system you will get some other ideas that might be easier:

What is your system make and model?

If a Dell, what is the Service Tag number?

If an HP what is the serial number?

What is the installed Windows Edition (Home, Pro, etc.) and Service Pack?

Does the system have a working CD/DVD drive?

Do you have a genuine bootable Windows 7 installation CD that matches your installed Windows Edition and Service Pack?

If the system used to work what do you think happened to it since the last time the system worked properly?

When you attempted to repair the system and "it couldn't be fixed" is that what the message said or did it say something else?

What happens when you attempt to start Windows normally?

Having never used FRST and if you did how were you able to do that if the system does not boot?

its a toshiba satellite c660 windows home prem

i can get it to start up repair after it says this device can't be fixed

i could access a part of the drive and put first into it with a usb

when i try to start windows normally it goes to start up repair

i have a working cd drive and a disk matching my os

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:16 AM

I am not the greatest at resolving Windows 7 startup problems.

Not one to make suggestions that begin with the word "try" hopefully somebody else will have some ideas now.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 shaunterr

shaunterr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:31 AM

I am not the greatest at resolving Windows 7 startup problems.

Not one to make suggestions that begin with the word "try" hopefully somebody else will have some ideas now.

thanks for trying to figure out my problem though

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:48 AM

Try to boot to your BIOS screen. If you can, exit out, do not change anything.

Next, check your Toshiba manual; there may be a hard drive test procedure that can be accessed by tapping one of the F-keys as you boot. If so, run a test on your hard drive to make sure that it has not failed.

Post back with results.

[EDIT]: The problem with Toshiba is lack of support for their products. I have read several posts that the Hitachi hard drive tester will work on Toshiba hard drives (Toshiba does not manufacture their own drives). A download can be found here. Burn the downloaded ISO to a DVD disk, then boot with that in your drive. That way you by-pass Windows (which will not boot on your machine) and test the drive to see if it has failed.

Edited by ranchhand_, 23 December 2017 - 09:02 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users