Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Process Clean Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oxford gary

oxford gary

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:37 PM

Hi everyone;
I'm a first time user/member and am trying to learn more about any programs or strategies that could reduce the number of processes in my Windows Task Manager. I currently have 37 programs listed.
My hard drive was going spastic any time we used the computer so I removed a few of the processes that didn't look like they were needed. This helped but I had to also customize some of my settings to get this to work.
The way I learned about Bleeping Computer was from a website and it was advertising programs that would perform a "Process Clean-up." or something to that effect. Anyone know of such a program? Thank you very much.

oxford gary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:11 PM

There's a program called Advanced Uninstaller which does an excellent job of getting rid of unneeded processes. It shows you what processes are running, and gives you a clear, easy to understand explanation of each process, which makes it easy to determine whether you wnat to stop it or not. when youfind processes you want to stop, it will stop them from running at any time. if you wish to have them run in the future, you simply go back in and reenable them! the program can be found at CNET Downloads.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

Hello and Welcome to BleepingComputers....

One thing you have to do when ending the processes in your computer is to remember to do some research on each and every process that is in your system and to have an ink pen and paper handy to write down which ones you are stopping. You also have to stop one at a time and after the one is stopped to run your computer for a while to see if it works out ok.

At the top of this thread there are several tabs and the one you will be using most often is Startup. This is where the names of the processes are located. Use this for reference on all processes.

Remember if you stop a certain process that you should not the only thing you are going to get is SCREWED. Rather your computer is.

I am not trying to chew you out here rather just inform you of the dangerous thing you are about to undertake. Reading about this and taking your time and research is the most valuable tool you have.

Take care and do a good job.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:10 PM

BC maintains an extensive list of Startup Applications (see the tab at the top called Startup List). I would certainly recommend you review each and every application any utility presents for killing against that database since it provides guidance about whether the programme is needed, optional, or useless.
If you have Spybot already installed, you can use its Startup Tool to manage the items that launch on boot.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:04 AM

While I'm not familiar with a Process CleanUp program, maybe you could locate a link for us so that we can research it?

Services start for many different reasons. You can stop or start them in several different ways (by setting an option in a program, by modifying your startups, by using the services applet, or by editing the registry).

I've got 34 processes running on my system right now and could probably trim out a few more. But the number of processes is related (in part) to how much RAM you have. For example, I can afford to have some extra processes running since I've got 2 gB of RAM.

But, that's not the only reason for a slowdown or system problems. In my experience here's the most common reasons for this (in order of occurrence):
1) Malware - either viruses or spyware
2) Maintenance - Disk Cleanup, Disk Defragmentation, etc
3) Resource problems (not just RAM, but other system issues also)

I'd suggest that you have a look at this Slow Computer Troubleshooting guide by jgweed: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...l=slow+computer

If you still want to remove services and hit a stumbling block when doing it - just post back with the relevant information and we'll help you out with it.

Finally, there are several svchost.exe programs running on your system. svchost comes in 2 "flavors" - the good and the bad. The bad is one that isn't located in proper places on your system. And, while the good one is in the proper places on your system, it can still consume resources unneccesarily. FWIW - svchost.exe acts as a base for running several services at one time, so all the running services may not be visible in Task Manager.

In XPPro you can see this by typeing "tasklist /svc" in a command prompt window. In XPHome you'll have to download the free Process Explorer from http://www.sysinternals.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 oxford gary

oxford gary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

Thanks very much to each one of you. I've got some good leads on cleaning up my computer from your advice. I'm amazed how much information is out there that is not from the software and hardware companies. Thanks again.
oxford gary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users