Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

partitioning hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:54 PM

i just got a new Win10 laptop...

on my Win7 laptop, i have my hard drive partitioned with software in the C: portion and other files in the E: portion...

not knowing a thing about Win10 i dont know how to partition my hard drive prior to setting up the different software i need to load (printer drivers, Office, etc)...

im not very computer savvy so anything you can do to "dumb it down" would be appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:09 PM

When Windows was installed the hdd/ssd was partitioned.  You shouldn't need to do anything other than install what ever third party applications you wish to run and then enjoy the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

Are you reinstalling Windows 10 on the new laptop?

Do you often reinstall Windows?  If not there is no real reason to partition the drive to separate Windows from your Programs. 

#4 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:12 PM

When Windows was installed the hdd/ssd was partitioned.  You shouldn't need to do anything other than install what ever third party applications you wish to run and then enjoy the computer.

Are you reinstalling Windows 10 on the new laptop?

Do you often reinstall Windows?  If not there is no real reason to partition the drive to separate Windows from your Programs. 

so, the new laptop has more than one address?  i.e. C: drive, D: drive, E: drive and theyre all separated?

no im not reinstalling Win10 on the laptop.  its already there...

i plan on leaving Windows where it is, and splitting the hard drive into 2 partitions.  one (C:) would have Windows and all of my other programs and one (D:?) for my files.  it has worked very very well on my Win7 system and Id like to do it with the new machine...

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:32 AM

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the X key to open the Windows Power Menu.

Select Disk Management from the menu.

This will show you all of the existing partitions and their sizes.  Please either use the snipping tool or create a screenshot of this image and post it in your topic.

You can use the same instructions for posting the image for either type of image you create.  I've provided instructions for a screenshot, this includes the instructions for posting either type of image in your topic. 

How to make a screenshot and post it in your topic

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot.

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

(Below are the instructions for posting a image in your topic)

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

Edited by dc3, 15 November 2017 - 09:36 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users