Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 - AMD Graphics problem (Black Screen), Driver Issue?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MrKalius

MrKalius

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

PLEASE NOTE: Upon trying to fix this issue again, I got a BSOD. Please check the information below.

SPECS: Corsair 650W, AMD Radeon Powercolour 7870, Intel Core i5 3570k (3.4Ghz), 8GB Vengence RAM, Gigabyte Z77M-D3H (Mobo)

Yesterday morning, I turned on my computer and was greeted by the sight of either all my monitors being a black screen, or all my monitors saying that they couldn't find the cables that they were connected too.

So, I try to restart my computer and I get the same issue. Next, I try dissconnecting all monitors and trying them out one by one. No luck.

At this point, I had work, so my brother attempted to fix said issue. Here's what he tried.

He went into safe mode and rolled back to the oldest drivers that were available to my Graphics Card and this seemed to work, for a short while, he then put it into sleep mode and immediately took it out of sleep mode and it worked. Then he turned the computer off and on again and it worked fine. However, when he turned the computer on after returning hours later, the same issue persisted.

He then tried to update the drivers to the latest drivers, this also seemed to work, so he shut the computer down again, and when he returned later on, my computer had this same issue.

The next 4 hours are spent by him going into safe mode and installing several new drivers to try and fix the issue. He changed some BIOS information, but restored it to default each time he tried something new.

Next: He went onto the AMD website and got software that it recommended to let the user know which Graphics drivers are best up-to-date with the Graphics card.

He downloaded the 17.2.2 Driver, this didn't work.
He then tried 17.11. This didn't work.

He then tried installing 16.3 manually WITHOUT the re-live software and this seemed to work... until he returned 2-hours later where he got the same issue, once again.

After which, he started doing System Restores to the system until I got home.

NOTE: Yesterday, I restored my system too 10/11/18 (my earliest restore point) and everything worked PERFECTLY. (Which is really, really weird, because when my brother tried it; nothing) I then turn my system on again today, same issue!! Although, I'm sure this was a fluke...

When I gained access to the system, I did a Scan of Malware Bytes (Premium Version) and it didn't find anything. So, I'm aware that my Graphics card isn't bust, nor are my monitors as I managed to get it working that one time by complete Fluke of system restore, and the fact that I'm on safe mode, able to write this post.

ALSO NOTE: If you need me to run any Diagnostic tools, please make sure they work in SAFE MODE (no drivers required) as I can't exactly get onto my regular booting system, because of said issue. My current drivers for my card are 18/7/2016 (16.300.2311.0) note, these worked yesterday, but when I turned my system on today, they do not work.

Thank-you.

UPDATE: 14/11/18 (04:37AM) - PROBLEM STILL PERSISTS.

Me and a friend of mine tried valliantly to attempt to get this working again, but to no avail.

We disabled the current Graphics drivers that we had and were successfully able to boot into the regular windows without any issues using the Generic Standard Display Drivers. So it's basically the exact same issue, except now I can access my computer, somewhat.

Then we used the AMD Software to uninstall ALL Graphics drivers from the computer and then installed the latest drivers from the AMD auto updater. This didn't work, and I got the same issue; black screen after windows start up logo.

We then tried some other drivers, but upon restarting, I got a BSOD, and had to repair the sytem; it was unable to repair. The BSOD data is as follows.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode: 100000ea
  BCP1: FFFFFA8008413640
  BCP2: 0000000000000000
  BCP3: 0000000000000000
  BCP4: 0000000000000000
  OS Version: 6_1_7601
  Service Pack: 1_0
  Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\111417-22885-01.dmp
  C:\Users\Luke\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-52572-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

(although, I can no longer use any other resolution other than 800x600 and I can no longer do most things on my computer, as well as being unable to use any dual monitors - 3 Monitor setup, at least I can listen to music...) It really fries your brain when you stay up all night trying to fix computer issues.

Edited by MrKalius, 13 November 2017 - 11:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

We need more information about your system than what you've provided. Hence, please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. You may skip the part of step three where it instructs you to create a new topic, since you already have a topic here. There's no need to create another topic. :wink:

Thank you.

Regards,
bwv848

P.S. Even if your computer isn't blue screening, please still do the above.

#3 MrKalius

MrKalius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

Here is the Snapshot for Speccy you requested (I already had speccy on my system)

I've also provided the SysnativeFileCollection Data you requested.

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   2.09MB   3 downloads

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/QFLpqUjbTLzmFVyWH3BJSGk

I've gone ahead and Disabled my Radeon Video card last night so I was able to at least boot on my computer so it isn't in safe mode.

I'll go ahead and run the memory and hard drive diagnostics tools as stated in the post you provided.

Thank you for the response.

UPDATE: PROBLEM STILL PERSISTS

I've restated my system with only one Monitor plugged in which has allowed me to have only ONE screen at a full resolution.

Upon disabling the Video Card last night, it no longer shows up in the Device Manager, and windows Updater can no longer find the Drivers associated with the card...

Boy, the computer is slow with the standard GFX drivers.

Edited by MrKalius, 14 November 2017 - 02:43 PM.

#4 MrKalius

MrKalius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

UPDATE: PROBLEM IS STABLE? (But don't delete this post)

After talking to my brother (who is a Microsoft certified technician) I had previously disabled my AMD Radeon HD 7870 video card. He sent me a link online https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-radeon-hd-7870-sapphire-black-screen-after-booting.217784/ this explained other people who had been having the same problem I had been having. I went ahead and downloaded the AMD Catalyst 15.201.1151.1007 BETA drivers and followed all said instructions. This allowed me to see my AMD Card instead of just the standard dummy drivers. After they had installed, I was able to boot into my normal computer, with the new graphics card/drivers and use all my other monitors, too.

There is however, an issue I'm wondering about...

Previously, when my brother got to this point, he would use the computer as normal, but then when he turned the computer off/put it into sleep mode after using it, the problem resurfaced again, I'm afraid that when I've finished using the computer tonight, that the problem will crop up again.

I'm wondering how does this happen? And why? I know it shouldn't, as it's really strange. I guess I'm fearful of switching my machine off in case the problem persist again, and based on the past couple days experience, it most likely will... But I really hope it doesn't.

Based on these facts, there's a high possibility of this happening again tomorrow. Which I really hope it doesn't. But my brother already tried 2 other Drivers and got it to work to this point, but then it stopped working after he had turned the system off/went into sleep for a couple hours and then the problem persisted. 

I've also found a page were I'm able to have a list of all ATI driver downloads, which is here. http://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-ati-catalyst-vista-win-7.html

I REALLY hope the problem doesn't crop up again tomorrow, but it most likely will... D:

UPDATE: (The next day) 17:15 PROBLEM IS STABLE? (But don't delete this post)

Before I went to bed yesterday, I figured that since the issue was fixed and also based on previous experience with fixing this issue, that'd the Card/Drivers would crap out again and I'd get a black screen on start up so I put my computer on Sleep for the night and didn't decide to shut it down, just to be extra safe.

To my surprise, I turned on my computer tonight after turning on two of my three monitors and it worked! (No black screen, or anything) just a regular start up process from the Sleep mode settings.
This is good because as I've said previously, when my Brother had gotten to this point, he had put the computer in Sleep for just an hour and when he returned the problem persisted, but this time I kept my computer on Sleep for well over 8 hours and it seems to be working.

I think tonight, I'll do the ultimate test and shut the entire system down and start it up again in the morning....

Edited by MrKalius, 15 November 2017 - 12:23 PM.

#5 MrKalius

MrKalius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

UPDATE: PROBLEM IS STABLE.

Response to my previous post. It seems like these drivers have done the trick. Last night I turned off my computer fully without putting it on sleep like I did the previous day, and the computer started up perfectly without any issue, no blue screen, no black screen, no hanging, and all drivers up and running. I'm unsure as to why this issue happened in the first place my guess is that it may have been Windows update breaking something. I've taken the liberty of disabling Automatic updating of Graphics Drivers until I'm certain that this issue is fixed in it's entirety.

I'm going to request that the mods keep this post open for a little bit longer so that I can be sure the issue is fixed and if not, I'll be able to post any other issue that could arise and is related to this said issue, but for the moment, the issue seem stable: I'm still unsure as to why this happened in the first place. As well as this, so that the Moderator that posted above: bwv848 is able to use the information I posted about the BSOD that I got and is able to figure out if this is a larger issue or not, and if he is able to tell me what this blue screen was, weather it's serious and weather it relates to the issue at hand.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

Glad you managed to fix the problem! Graphics problems are some of the trickiest to deal with.

I just looked through the reports and don't see anything alarming — just graphics issues (which are fairly common with gamers).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users