Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 57 Will Be Offered Tomorrow In Windows...

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,909 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:13 PM

For every person that agrees with you, there will be 1 that disagrees.  Nature of the beast where everyone has an opinion.

I was guessing everyone disagrees with me lol. 

Thanks for the post, I will definitely give it a go once the kinks are worked out.  I need NoScript and Down Them All, well, I think I need them, and like the way they work as opposed to other similar software.

I'm guessing from what I've read all linux users on qualifying distro's will get to Automagically.  I can't believe Chrome did not try to Correct Automagically, I did not know this was actually a word!

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=automagically

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#32 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,909 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:23 PM

O-so sad I'm losing my Xmarks Bookmarks extension, does anyone know if this will be available later on?  I did a little searching but need to get back to work.  I saw this at the Xmarks site:

"Not compatible with Firefox Quantum"

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#33 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,683 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:41 PM

Is this Performance Upgrade something to try and get more Phone Users on board?  Otherwise, so far, I see little performance gains and losing Add-ons? although they will come back albeit a little different in design?

They should have just straightened out their Bookmarks and I would've been onboard.  Don't know about others, but the Bookmarks are very important to me, and that they are easy to work with.  Be nice if None of these Browsers had the little Built in Bookmark Folders, that seem to mess up Importing Bookmarks.  Probably just me?

pcpunk, while I agree that Firefox bookmarks were once a mess years ago, and until recently, Google Chrome done a great job, now it's 25x worse than Firefox ever was. :(

This can be especially bad when one has over 20 OS installs, all with Google Chrome & all synced, on this very install, although I've deleted all except one several times, now I have sometimes as many as 20 'Imported Form Firefox' alone. And that's not counting all of the bookmarks created since moving to Chrome, as well as the sub-folders of all. Example, when I have a computer, say 'Dell Optiplex 780' folder. and all of the created sub-folders with bookmarks over specs, issues & other discussions, these are also multiplied the same way. Even common sites that I use, all into categories, is a holy mess. 

My only saving grace may be one PC I've not fired up in a while (prior to noticing this), would have to first unplug the Ethernet cable, then export the bookmarks & apply to every computer & pray that it works. Because the deletion on a few computers doesn't cut it, I can spend two hours cleaning up & within 5 minutes be in just as bad, if not worse mess the next time.

Point being, Firefox isn't the only browser with bookmark issues, and mine are just as important to me as anyone else who values the bookmark system. In a perfect World, this wouldn't happen, doesn't matter whether we have one computer or 100, all should be the same on every install. The problem being is that we don't live in that perfect World, someone manages to flip the wrong switch & messes up things for the masses, although maybe not all. 

Finally, there's no 'fix' for this issue other than reset Chrome & import a clean set of bookmarks, meaning recent ones will be forever lost.  :angry:

Cat                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Edited by cat1092, 18 November 2017 - 07:43 PM.

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w3mBsNE6cJXW7on5sbNTFDc  (Updated 10/07/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running AMD Phenom x4 965 CPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/c0aVnEnmxFmqX5Pf1nOhCKf   (Updated 10/10/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MLv5xbYuI2vsLqvtS4PaDGB  (Updated 10/20/2017)

#34 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,683 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:12 PM

O-so sad I'm losing my Xmarks Bookmarks extension, does anyone know if this will be available later on?  I did a little searching but need to get back to work.  I saw this at the Xmarks site:

That's when my Firefox bookmarks began to become messed up, there were times when Xmarks didn't have an active developer, as a result, bookmarks became messed up when another would take it over. :(

Fortunately, I didn't have as many computers then & was able to manage to keep a clean set of bookmarks to make things right. Unfortunately, I didn't do the same with Chrome, once I seen that all was OK, fell into a false sense of security, and for years trusted that the current system would work just fine. Now I must pay the price, as the only way to get bookmarks right would be to find the one PC not booted for some time, hope that the same didn't already happen, export into a .html file & import the same into all others. May have to reset Chrome beforehand, which will cause me to lose extensions also, but at least that would give me a clean start. Am sure that I'm not the only person that was affected by the issue, if so, a serious dose of very bad luck. My odds of hitting the huge Powerball jackpot would be better than being the only one hit with this mess, being there are more Google users Worldwide than Powerball players in the US. :lol:

I suppose that I could finally leave one 'as is' & just sign out of Google before connecting to the Internet (by placing a check in all of Chrome's boxes with CCleaner & run it) then recreate bookmarks on one computer by hand a couple hundred per day, which should in turn, go to the rest as booted into..............eventually & hopefully w/out a mess. :)

Only course of action I can think of that may work, spending hours of deleting is getting me nowhere. 

Cat

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w3mBsNE6cJXW7on5sbNTFDc  (Updated 10/07/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running AMD Phenom x4 965 CPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/c0aVnEnmxFmqX5Pf1nOhCKf   (Updated 10/10/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MLv5xbYuI2vsLqvtS4PaDGB  (Updated 10/20/2017)

#35 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:29 AM

There is a news article here at BC announcing NoScript's release for Firefox 57.

NoScript Add-On Updated for Firefox 57 and the New WebExtensions API

QUOTE A BIT:

Six days after Mozilla launched Firefox 57, a revamped version of the Firefox browser, Giorgio Maone, the developer of the NoScript add-on, has updated NoScript to work with Firefox's new WebExtensions add-ons API.

Last week, on November 14, when Mozilla released Firefox 57, NoScript was one of the many popular Firefox add-ons that were not updated to work with the browser's new version, which dropped support for legacy addons (built on the XUL-based Add-ons SDK).

NoScript was just one of the many other insanely popular add-ons that did not work with the new Firefox, a list that also included Tab Groups, Classic Theme Restorer, FireGestures, MinimizeToTray revived, QuickNote, Session Manager, DownThemAll!, Tab Mix Plus, and FlashGot Mass Downloader.

BETTER LATER THAN NEVER....one exception....backing up before you wished you had.

backup2.gif

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#36 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,909 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 10:47 PM

That's when my Firefox bookmarks began to become messed up, there were times when Xmarks didn't have an active developer, as a result, bookmarks became messed up when another would take it over. :(

I never noticed that cat, though did have problems from lack of any good directions at their site.  The directions were there, and they were quite elaborate, but the important things were not in the Opening where they should have been.  Luckily I had enough to fix what got messed up.  I thought it was quite sophisticated, but I was missing the Favicons as I've said before here.  I love those things and still can't figure out why they went missing.  May have been because I was using Linux and Windows, Chrome, Chromium and Firefox, across many computers LOL who would think anything could work under those conditions lol.

I remember when you had those issues cat, and then I went and had the same problems but had a much simpler layout than yours.  I had no Subfolders at the time, just to keep things simple, and that was a blessing when the Xmarks curse hit.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users