Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 57 Will Be Offered Tomorrow In Windows...

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

Firefox 57 will be released tomorrow for Windows users. I'm not expecting that to happen for Linux users as it

usually takes a day or more for Firefox updates to be offered.

I intend to not install Firefox 57 when it is offered. I am going to wait at least a week or more. I expect a ton of complaints

about it breaking so many add-ons. Though it is certainly no secret as it has been heavily advertised to alert users and

add-on/ extensions developers to this happening....we all know many will not of gotten the message.

I would like those more adventurous than I who install Firefox 57 in their Linux distro the day it is offered to comment on this post if possible

as to its performance...good or bad.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

I see they've been working on sandboxing it for Linux ... https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/firefox-57-brings-better-sandboxing-on-linux/

But I'm like you buddy215, and when something as fundamentally new as this comes along, I prefer to wait for some of the bugs to be ironed out before I install it.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,952 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:22 AM

Yeah not looking forward to it as it will break NPAPI and we already need so many workarounds as it is in linux to make DRM flash websites work.

Sure flash is dead soon but not soon enough

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#4 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,123 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:42 AM

The extension that I most want to work....NoScript... in 57 is still being labeled as a LEGACY extension...which to me means it won't be working in 57.

4KxrPZf.png

Edited by buddy215, 13 November 2017 - 12:49 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:47 AM

Y'know, it's at times like this that I am so glad Chrome seduced me way back in 2008..!  :lol:

And even Linux Chrome has been a pain in the behind for the last several releases. Go figure.  :whistle:

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 13 November 2017 - 11:47 AM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 654 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:15 PM

The extension that I most want to work in 57 is still being labeled as a LEGACY extension...which to me means it won't be working in 57.

4KxrPZf.png

I switched to Chromium and still use Firefox and I'll wait to see if the original extension creators update them and if not I'll look for alternatives.

As for as the Ubuntu Modification extensions marked legacy their creators will need to get on the ball but for now I have just disabled the Ubuntu Modification extensions marked legacy and haven't noticed any difference so obviously they don't do much if anything.

I use uBlock Origin instead of Adblock Plus it seems to work well.

Edited by The-Toolman, 13 November 2017 - 01:34 PM.

Linux Mint 18 Xfce (32bit) / Hp Pavilion d4650y (09 / 18 / 2006) / Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6400 Conroe (2.13 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 2M Cache, LGA 775 Socket) / DDR2 Memory 3.0 GB, 800MHz FSB / Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE [Nvidia G72] PCIE.

Linux Peppermint 8 (32 Bit) / Dell Optiplex 360 (11 / 28 / 2008) / Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 Conroe (1.86 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 2M Cache, LGA 775 Socket) / DDR2 Memory 3.0 GB, 800MHz FSB / Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE [Nvidia G72] PCIE.

#7 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,123 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:13 PM

GaryR....I read that news article...Firefox 57 Brings Better Sandboxing on Linux

Wow....those options for Linux are going to take some time to digest. I hope you or someone will offer some suggestions on those

after installing Firefox 57.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 10,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:46 PM

I have basically had a gut full of firefox

Heres the result of a speed test I just did.

Firefox
Download
7.23Mbs

Chrome
DOWNLOAD
11.12 Mbs

Same plugins, pinged the same server.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/firefox-57-brings-better-sandboxing-on-linux/#cid6996

#9 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 602 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:17 AM

GaryR....I read that news article...Firefox 57 Brings Better Sandboxing on Linux

Wow....those options for Linux are going to take some time to digest. I hope you or someone will offer some suggestions on those

after installing Firefox 57.

I expect the default Sandbox settings will probably work for the vast majority of people, and most will not have to "tamper" with them at all.

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:28 AM

The extension that I most want to work in 57 is still being labeled as a LEGACY extension...which to me means it won't be working in 57.

4KxrPZf.png

...<*snip*>...

.....I use uBlock Origin instead of Adblock Plus it seems to work well.

Me too. I've been using uBlock ever since I found it 18 months ago. Very lightweight (much lighter than AdBlock), and at least 99% as effective...

I used to use Ghostery, but with the 6.0 update Ghostery lost a large portion of their long-term userbase by their drastic, and useless, re-design.....and completely disregarding what people actually wanted (and not responding to complaints).

Their loss. The attitude clearly being 'This is what you're gonna get. Take it or leave it. If ya don't like it.....close the door behind you on your way out'.

So thousands of people did.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 14 November 2017 - 09:42 AM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 10,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:58 PM

This is what you're gonna get. Take it or leave it. If ya don't like it.

I will leave it,

#12 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,123 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:40 PM

This is what is posted at the NoScript website....NoScript - JavaScript/Java/Flash blocker for a safer Firefox experience! - what is it? - InformAction

Where's NoScript for Firefox 57 "Quantum"?

2017-11-14: We're working hard to make NoScript for Quantum available to you as soon as possible, even later today if we're lucky enough, and definitely by the end of this week.

Please be patient: if you feel naked while you're waiting for the "brand new" NoScript, you can still use the "regular" 5.x on Firefox ESR. See you soon!

I think Firefox with NoScript is the safest browser.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,896 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:52 PM

I think Firefox with NoScript is the safest browser.

That's for sure.  I use chrome primarily, but when I'm checking suspicious sites or just surfing recklessly Firefox it the one I go with.  I also use it for "Down Them All" Download manager that cat1092 showed me years ago!  That thing is sweet, and not all that hard to use.  Tells me if my Linux iso's downloaded well, and like any good download manager, will pause when an internet connection stops, and pickup later to complete the download.  I didn't even know this until it worked on it's own one day lol.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,123 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:29 PM

So far...DownThemAll is not compatible with 57.... DownThemAll!

QUOTE: Delays… November 10, 2017

Initially I planned to have a release version of DownThemAll! Lite (aka the WebExtension) ready for launch of Firefox Quantum. Well, Quantum will be released in a few days from now, and DTA Lite is not nearly ready.

There were some bits that turned out to be more fiddly than I anticipated, then some freelancing work (what actually pays my rent) took longer than anticipated, and then some medical stuff (nothing to worry, but still preventing me from spending the time I originally planned for DTA) and other personal stuff… This all completely made me miss my timeline I planned.
Please bear in mind that essentially DTA Lite, even tho it’s only “lite”, will be more or a less a complete rewrite, even though it will reuse a lot of the concepts.

Therefore, looking at my calendar, DTA Lite will take another month at least. I hope I’ll get to a point where I can release a beta version for early adopters/testers in 2-3 weeks and then 1-2 weeks after that a stable full release.
In the mean time, there is still the full DownThemAll! which can be used with at least the pre-Quantium Firefox (such as the ESR)*.

I’d also really like to rant how stupid and limited most of the WebExtensions APIs are, but I feel I ranted too much already.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,896 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:35 PM

Thanks buddy, haven't had time to keep up with that.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users