Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Prevent Malware?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MarshmallowMillicent

MarshmallowMillicent

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:58 AM

My personal computer is almost never infected and I scan it frequently. I am aware of the normal precautions you should take to prevent infection, however, the family computer is constantly infected. This is due to the fact that there is one person who is always installing programs that are technically "free" but seem more than shady. It would be very hard to prevent this person from using it. Is there any way to prevent the malware from being installed in the first place?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,952 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:56 AM

Security is all about layers and not depending on any one solution, technology or approach to protect yourself from cyber-criminals. The most important layer is you...the first and last line of defense.

The best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware and ransomware (crypto malware) infections is a comprehensive approach. Make sure you are running an updated anti-virus and anti-malware product, update all vulnerable software, use supplemental security tools with anti-exploitation features capable of stopping (preventing) infection before it can cause any damage, close/disable Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) if you do not need it and routinely backup your data...then disconnect the external drive when the backup is completed. If you must use RDP, the best way to secure it is to either whitelist IP's on a firewall or not expose it to the Internet. Put RDP behind a firewall, only allow RDP from local traffic, setup a VPN to the firewall, use an RDP gateway, change the default RDP port (TCP 3389) and enforce strong password policies, especially on any admin accounts or those with RDP privileges.For more suggestions to protect yourself from ransomware infections, see my comments (Post #2) in this topic...it includes a list of prevention tools.

Also see Answers to common security questions - Best Practices for Safe Computing.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

Hi, MarshmallowMillicent and Welcome to the AV/AM Forum at BC! :welcome:

Depending on your web browser, I would recommend installing an ad blocker like uBlock Origin, Adblock Plus, AdFender or AdGuard.

This way, all advertisements and offer buttons for Potentially Unwanted Programs will be blocked.

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 13 November 2017 - 04:04 PM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

In fact you can "Lock" the computer by using some tools like SRP (Software Restriction Policies) or Anti-executable, so the said user won't be able to install anything else; but you will have to dabble into more complex stuff which needs a certain level of knowledge about Windows mechanisms.

Edited by Umbra, 13 November 2017 - 09:28 PM.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#5 santiano

santiano

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:19 AM

My personal computer is almost never infected and I scan it frequently. I am aware of the normal precautions you should take to prevent infection, however, the family computer is constantly infected. This is due to the fact that there is one person who is always installing programs that are technically "free" but seem more than shady. It would be very hard to prevent this person from using it. Is there any way to prevent the malware from being installed in the first place?

I agree with MarshmallowMillicent, as I always take precaution with my system and scans the system time to time, keep updating the new version of the software, never click on a suspicious link. To keep malware away your web browser must be secured with a software solution that keeps potentially unwanted programs away. 

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,952 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:27 AM

However, MarshmallowMillicent apparently has a family member who ignores best practices for safe computing.

#7 sjpritch25

sjpritch25

• Security Colleague
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:25 AM

Well depending on what the family computer is used for.  Maybe using a program like deepfreeze.   This will only work if computer isn't used to save any information because after each restart computes is restored back to when the software was installed.   I used to use it on teen laptops at a recreation center.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security--2007-2010

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 539 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

Hi again, MarshmallowMillicent!

There is an excellent tutorial for Application Whitelisting and Software Restriction Policies here: How to create an Application Whitelist Policy in Windows.

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#9 MarshmallowMillicent

MarshmallowMillicent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:34 AM

Is there a way to prevent downloads unless you have a password? This would keep said user from installing any harmful programs.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,952 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:49 AM

Disable File Download Option in Internet Explorer
Folder Guard - How to set up Folder Guard to stop downloading from the Internet
Block Downloads from the Internet

Tools to restrict access to the Internet, protect computer and monitor activity:

Deep Freeze Standard can be used as a parental tool to protect the operating system since it returns the computer to it's original state after every restart.

#11 MarshmallowMillicent

MarshmallowMillicent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:24 PM

If I could prevent all downloads by adding a password lock, much like how sudo always requires a password this would solve my problem. Does such a thing exist?

Edited by MarshmallowMillicent, 20 November 2017 - 07:24 PM.

#12 MarshmallowMillicent

MarshmallowMillicent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:26 PM

In fact you can "Lock" the computer by using some tools like SRP (Software Restriction Policies) or Anti-executable, so the said user won't be able to install anything else; but you will have to dabble into more complex stuff which needs a certain level of knowledge about Windows mechanisms.

I will have to look into this.

#13 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 539 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:12 AM

Software Restriction Policies: AppGuard.

Application Whitelisting and Anti-Executable: NVT EXE Radar Pro.

Regards,

midimusicman79

#14 AnythingButMalware

AnythingButMalware

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:13 PM

Just wanted to add my input like the others! Practicing safe habits such as identifying a variety of attacks (i.e. phishing, social engineering), it will allow you to become less vulnerable (as a person) and will help with the avoidance of getting infected.

Have you tried turning it off and back on? :P

#15 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

Software Restriction Policies: AppGuard.

Application Whitelisting and Anti-Executable: NVT EXE Radar Pro.

Regards,

midimusicman79

those are the best in their respective fields in my opinion, i use them since ages (not saying im their beta tester). Very good choices

Emsisoft Community Manager

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users