Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why aren't CPU's cooled from both sides...?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:24 AM

It seems to me that it's really odd that you only cool one side of the board. Why not both?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:09 AM

By "the board" do you mean the system mainboard? Both sides of the mainboard are cooled, by conduction and convection to the air that is being continually exhausted from the case and replaced by cooler room air.

The CPU itself is also cooled from both sides, but only a small portion of internal heat is conducted through the LGA contact pins into the mainboard.

The majority of the heat output from the CPU passes into the heatsink cooler assembly, because the chip construction of a microprocessor is grown onto a silicon substrate which forms the ground plane of the CPU chip. All the current paths, which is what produces the heat due to electrical resistance, return through this substrate so it becomes the hottest. All the other circuits generating heat within the CPU chip itself are in layers on the substrate as part of its physical structure, and the heat generated in them is almost all conducted into the substrate. The substrate is then given good thermal contact to the cap of the CPU to pass the great majority of the heat out into the cooler.

All the hundreds to thousands of external connections to the mainboard have to be made on the other side, and it's just the modest amount of heat that passes through these to the mainboard that gets out on that side. So no special cooling is needed to handle it.

Edited by Platypus, 13 November 2017 - 02:11 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:02 AM

Surely airflow should only be in/from one direction otherwise any opposing flow would collide causing it not to be able to radiate out of and away from components and circuits themselves?

Edited by robby501, 13 November 2017 - 04:03 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,760 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:23 AM

My reading is that is why the OP says both sides (of the CPU/board), not both directions (of airflow).

#5 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:39 AM

My reading is that is why the OP says both sides (of the CPU/board), not both directions (of airflow).

Yeah, I got it, silly me...my mistake, indeed so...

Edited by robby501, 13 November 2017 - 04:44 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#6 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:40 AM

Yeah so about that? Is that like not possible or something to cool both sides...?

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,760 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:20 AM

So, what I wrote meant nothing to you?

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

In simple terms a processor really doesn't need to be cooled by two sides, most of the heat a processor makes is on the top of the processor rather than the sides or the bottom.

Think of it more like a convection stove, the heat is normally on the top conducted and transferred to its desired heat sink.

The heat sink is usually made of either copper or aluminum both are very good at absorbing heat and transferring it from the heat source keeping things cool.

Here is a basic video on how this all works:

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 November 2017 - 09:39 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users