Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win defender removed Trojan now I can't connect to web

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tizme2

Tizme2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:45 PM

Windows defender removed TrojanClicker:ASX/Wimad.genH
Now I can't connect to wifi. My wifi card is not showing in device manager but in settings it shows but says not present. Any idea how I can sort it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:53 PM

Windows defender removed TrojanClicker:ASX/Wimad.genH
Now I can't connect to wifi. My wifi card is not showing in device manager but in settings it shows but says not present. Any idea how I can sort it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Shut the computer down.  Remove the card.  Restart.  Shut down, and replace card in a different slot if possible.  Restart.  Report back to forum.  It is a good idea to unplug the computer when adding or removing hardware.

Edited by dhagerjohns, 12 November 2017 - 09:55 PM.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:10 PM

Install latest version of wireless card if this wont resolve the issue then reset TCP/IP protocol suite with batch script i have attached to this post.

Attached File  ResetNetworkCompenents.zip   44.81KB   5 downloads

Edited by FreeBooter, 12 November 2017 - 10:11 PM.

Posted Image

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:55 AM

Hi, unusual for a device to be thus effected, are you sure you have removed all nasties from your system?

I would try the advice of dhagerjohns you should then have the device reinstalled it will be then necessary to reset your network.

Freebooters batch file is not necessary (it would not fix your device problem anyway) as MS now include a network reset.

After getting the device back you need to press the win +r keys together in the run box copy paste:-

ms-settings:network-status (press enter) 

Scroll till you see, "network reset", after this you may need to make a fresh connection.

#5 Tizme2

Tizme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:39 AM

Its a laptop. So I don't think it has another slot. I know which file it was in and I hadn't opened it. Defender scans every file as soon as download it was quarantined straight away and removed. I lost connection right after removal. I will scan again and try your replies.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:54 AM

Freebooters batch file is not necessary (it would not fix your device problem anyway) as MS now include a network reset.

-

@jenae how the hell do you know malware infection has not corrupted TCP/IP protocol suite it does happen if you did not know. OP using my batch script wont cause any harm so why not use it.

Posted Image

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:21 AM

ms-settings:network-status (press enter) 

Scroll till you see, "network reset", after this you may need to make a fresh connection.

Actually, per Microsoft the Network Reset Feature should be the last step to try.

Using network reset should be the last step you try. Consider using it if the steps above don’t help to get you connected.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

FreeBooter's batch file does the winsock and tcp/ip reset commands that Microsoft advises using if the troubleshooter fails, the first step.

Run the Network troubleshooter followed by networking commands

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 November 2017 - 10:10 AM.

#8 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:15 PM

Hi, no my advice to run the Network Reset was deliberate, and should be followed particularly after a virus /malware problem.

It actually performs a tcp/ip reset as well as a winsock reset among other actions that essentially return the network to defaults. It is mentioned as doing last since this action can mean a user has to re establish their internet connections, however having used this on thousands of computers, we can report it rarely requires this.

Most importantly it is safe and essentially it will reset the NSI (network store interface) rather essential after corruption, if you run netsh int Ip reset (part of the batch file) it will error(access denied) this is ignored by many who know little about the science behind this, continued internet connection problems are the result. Netsh is deprecated in win 10 by MS, although most of the cmd's still work.

In this case failure to reset the Nsi is critical. It can be done. I wrote a fix for the university forums (private) to reset permissions on this key, it is essential that this be followed as security protocols now require this to be access denied, after the fix, the netsh cmd works properly and Nsi is reset, however the registry will restore restrictions immediately after a boot.

I do not give advice unless I know what it does, 

#9 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

I really don't know what any good will do if his machine does not even know he has a wifi card.

#10 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:42 PM

Hi I agree, that's why I said the batch file won't fix the device problem, nor will the network reset they are meant to be run after the hardware issue is resolved.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:03 PM

I really don't know what any good will do if his machine does not even know he has a wifi card.

This why i ask OP to reinstall network card driver.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users