Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where To Download Linux?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gazspeight

gazspeight

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:57 PM

:thumbsup: [color=#006600]I am just about to put a new Hard drive into this P.C and i am thinking of installing the Linux operating system.
Where do i obtain the disc or download from?
How do i install Linux onto a NEW Hard drive?
Does this have the similar e-mail program as outlook express or is this a seperate item?
Will my programs / hardware work on this operating system?
Any advice is most welcome before i decide to install.
Big thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:18 AM

:thumbsup: [color=#006600]I am just about to put a new Hard drive into this P.C and i am thinking of installing the Linux operating system.

Have you thought about which flavor you want to try. There are literally hundreds of choices.

Where do i obtain the disc or download from?

DistroWatch.com

How do i install Linux onto a NEW Hard drive?

You will need to format the drive according to the version you want install. Most the the better known Liunx's install much like windows, in the respect that they will set the hard drive up for the installation.

Does this have the similar e-mail program as outlook express or is this a seperate item?

Yes. FireFox has Thunderbird which will handle most of your email needs. http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/

Will my programs / hardware work on this operating system?

Most moden hardware is support with some exception. There are programs that will allow some windows programs to function inside of Linux, but not all windows program will work. Windows emulator

Any advice is most welcome before i decide to install.
Big thanks in advance.

Advice? have fun. Exploring Linuxcan be very much fun, but at the same time it can be a head ache. The good thing about it is at anytime you get tried of it you can just delete it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 thenoose

thenoose

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:09 PM

I, a 15 year old relative computer n00b, advise you to get ubuntu linux. I found it much easier to set up than windows.
They even ship the cd to you for free.
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
Posted Image

#4 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:25 PM

In my personal opinion Ubuntu doesn't have much to offer. You get no experience being the root user, and it is just generally limited. I would reccomend trying Mepis, KNOPPIX, and possibly GNOPPIX. Those are all very nice live distros which can be installed and you can try them out before installing them too. I had my first experience with a older version of KNOPPIX and it was a great experience. Some time later I tried Ubuntu, and I found it way too simplified..
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#5 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:18 PM

another good place to download linux iso is from a torrent site called www.linuxtracker.org

#6 lawersai

lawersai

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:41 AM

google damn small linux it's 49M,but run very well.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:27 AM

DSL Download page
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:33 AM

For use as a "Live Distro" I love DSL , (some people like Puppy Linux as well :thumbsup: ) it's perfect for basic surfing and email . it has Firefox browser and Sylpheed for mail ,doesn't touch the Hdd unless you want it to(saving prefs.). it's basicly a stripped down version of Knoppix , so it's pretty easy to get connected. it can be kinda "cantankerous" at times though :flowers: and takes alittle getting used to. but it will run on just about anything .When installed to disk it becomes "Debian" according to their website. There is also DSL-N a "bigger" version , it's only at 0.1rc3 but since it's got DSL heritage already, it's better than you'd think. uses "Seamonkey" ( the "new" Mozilla suite) instead of Firefox and Sylpheed.
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/dsl-n/
I'll be looking into that maybe when it matures alittle bit more (I will still want my Firefox). as it is, DSL does everything I want it to do now.

Edited by no one, 08 October 2006 - 09:35 AM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#9 thenoose

thenoose

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:28 PM

In my personal opinion Ubuntu doesn't have much to offer. You get no experience being the root user, and it is just generally limited. I would reccomend trying Mepis, KNOPPIX, and possibly GNOPPIX. Those are all very nice live distros which can be installed and you can try them out before installing them too. I had my first experience with a older version of KNOPPIX and it was a great experience. Some time later I tried Ubuntu, and I found it way too simplified..

IMO it doesnt limit the user experience, it protects the system from yourself.
With sudo you can still do everything a root can do and theres nothing wrong with simplifying :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#10 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:29 PM

linux.com
TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:43 PM

Details help. What is in your box? What would you like to do with it? What do you mostly do with your computer now? You could always take the linux test.

and just for the record...

WINE
Is
Not an
Emulator

If anything, it's more like a translator...but not really.

Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X and Unix.

and

Myth 1: "Wine is slow because it is an emulator"
Some people mean by that that Wine must emulate each processor instruction of the Windows application. This is plain wrong. As Wine's name says: "Wine Is Not an Emulator": Wine does not emulate the Intel x86 processor. It will thus not be as slow as Wabi which, since it is not running on a x86 Intel processor, also has to emulate the processor. Windows applications that do not make system calls will run just as fast as on Windows (no more no less).

Of course...emulator is much easier to say to someone who wouldn't know the difference anyway.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#12 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:12 AM

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#13 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:47 PM

I just finished downloading Underground Linux, here's the link: http://underground.geekcode.info/portal/posts/view/download. I downloaded the torrent and I'm seeding it right now, I haven't actually tried it yet, but I will be as soon as I get the disk burnt..
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#14 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:12 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:
TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 toshibauser

toshibauser

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:50 PM

I went to the download page for damn small linux, given in a previous post
ftp://ftp.oss.cc.gatech.edu/pub/linux/dis...ions/damnsmall/

i went to a mirror and go this, however, theres about 100 different .iso files, text files, and zip files

what am i supposed to download, and id like to run this off of USB, btw

please help, theres soo many files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users