Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

store a laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lond76

lond76

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:19 PM

Can i store a laptop in a room.whre the temps can reach 0c and below? Or the cold can damage the laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:34 PM

Storing your laptop in a cold room is not recommended same with storing in too hot of a room, since it affects the battery, screen, and other parts. In general, you want to avoid extreme temperatures as much as possible, so no, I wouldn't recommend leaving it in that cold of temperatures for an extended period of time. Obviously a couple of hours sure but I wouldn't say days+ at all. Leaving your laptop or other devices in a cold area for too long you can cause the LCD screen to start having issues and even kill the battery or kill the whole thing all together. Also if you left it in the cold for too long and then take it to a warm environment you can cause condensation which is NOT good for your internal components heck not even the outer layers. 

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:37 PM

If it's dry, you should be fine.   I have stored an laptop in my attic, which sees some extremes of temperatures, for several years and on those rare occasions I've pulled it out and fired it up it's still working.   In my case, I'm more concerned about the heat in the summer than the cold in the winter.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I'm with britechguy on this, storing shouldn't be an issue.  According to the Spec Sheet for an HP EliteBook 840 G3 (page 20).  Operating is from 32 to 95 F or 0 to 35 C when not using an optical drive, 41 to 95 F or 5 to 35 C when writing optical, -4 to 140 F or -20 to 60 C Non-Operating.  You can try to find the Spec Sheet for your machine to see if they will give you the temperatures for your model.

So, provided you don't go very much below 0 F you should be fine as long as you allow it to warm up to room temperature before using.  I've seen mechanical hard drives freeze up when left in a car over night, after about a half hour they work fine.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

storage temperature is not an issue, but turning it on when it's too cold or too hot could cause damage.

before using it again all you have to do is let it come up/down to room temperature before using again.

if it's freezing cold and you turn it on the heat produced by components will cause condensation and could short the traces out from the dirt built up inside the computer.   if it's a laptop then let it warm up before opening or you could crack the screen.  desktop just let it warm up.

extreme heat: let it cool down to room temp, most have temperature sensor that will keep it from booting if too hot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users