Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defrag

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 terryw45

terryw45

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

Big Hi to all,

Is there any truth in 'defragging can be harmful' to your computer, I use Piriform defrag about once a week, continue or go monthly ?

thanks

Terry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:59 PM

Actually, Windows 7 automatically defrags your hard drive every Wednesday using Task Scheduler. I would not bother with a defragger utility in Windows 7. You do not want to defrag a SSD.

#3 terryw45

terryw45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:11 PM

JohnC_21

Thanks, I'll leave it alone, What's SSD?, (I'm still 'steam powered' !)

Terry

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:33 PM

SSD is Solid State Drive. Only hard drives should be defragged. 

hddvsssd.jpeg

Technically Windows does defrag SSDs but not in the same way as HDDs and it's done without user involvement.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 November 2017 - 05:37 PM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,483 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

In my opinion it all depends.  I think once a week is excessive, and I also believe that it puts more mileage on the Hard Drive.  I think once a month for most users is fine, and I'm still not sure whether to use Third Party or inbuilt, but I think for most people the Windows 7 Inbuilt one it best!, this is what I will use from now on.  With the current Default Settings it will run on Wednesday morning 1am, so you will need to leave it on Tuesday night till after it is done.  You can change the settings if you like, mine is turned off as my pc is never running that early in the morning.  I run mine Manually when I have time, or think it needs a good cleaning.  HERE is a little tutorial on how to set it up.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:09 AM

You do not have to " leave it on Tuesday night till after it is done".

Like many Scheduled Tasks if the task does not run because the time is missed (because the system is not running at the time) the Task will run as soon as possible after the time it is missed:

Attached File  Untitled.jpg   85.39KB   0 downloads

If things were not set up that way and if most people are sleeping at 1AM the task might not ever run for weeks, months, years.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,483 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:44 AM

@joseibarra, thanks I did not know that.  In fact, I don't understand how it runs after that if one is using their computer.  Perhaps it starts until we start using the computer then quits when it detects activity, I don't know.  Either way I think I will keep using my logic, either let it run on schedule, or turn it off and run it manually.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:53 AM

You should defragment HDD if there is five percent or more fragmentation.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:23 AM

You can run the Task anytime you want and when the Task runs it is a low priority so you might not even notice it running:

Attached File  Untitled.jpg   83.67KB   0 downloads

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#10 monkeylove

monkeylove

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

In my case, I experienced slowdown for four Win 7 machines with the built-in defrag set. I eventually had to use a third-party tune up program to defrag, clean the system, disable unnecessary programs and services that were being autostarted, etc.

#11 monkeylove

monkeylove

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:38 AM

I just found out that sometimes the defrag does not run on schedule. It might have to do with the lack of idle time or something that causes the system not to be idle. To solve that I had to disable the scheduling feature in the defrag program and create a defrag schedule in the task scheduler that runs even though the system is not idle.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,483 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:16 AM

That makes sense to me as I've seen machines that are on 24/7 to be seen as Fragmented.  I'll need to test this on my machine, thanks!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users