Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

suggestion on upgrade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stealthfirestar

stealthfirestar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:08 PM

I have an old laptop

Thinkpad - T 61 with the following configuration

cpu - Intel core 2 duo T 7500 = 2.2ghz

2GB RAM

windows 10

Can some one please suggest additions i can make to improve performance .

My plan is to upgrade this PC and give it to my dad .. who is now starting to learn how to use computer.

i will installing the very basic computer programs like chrome, Microsoft office and some video calling .

Thank you so much in advance.

Firestar.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:21 PM

I would add more RAM, take it to (at least) 4GB.  4GB appears to be the max memory supported.

No need for an more work than that...for its intended use, IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/ThinkPad-Memory-SODIMM-MAJOR-BRANDS/dp/B00D6Q3BFG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510521616&sr=1-1&keywords=4Gb+%282X4Gb%29+Memory+Ram+For+Ibm+Lenovo+Thinkpad+T61%2C&dpID=51m-3uIRgkL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 November 2017 - 04:21 PM.

#3 stealthfirestar

stealthfirestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:18 PM

Thank you 

hamluis

Does it help if i upgrade HDD .. does T61 support ssd ?

Thanks.

Also my PC stops because of over heating.. any suggestions on that?

Thanks.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,969 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:37 AM

Looks like its SATA compatible so it can be done, however if space and money are an issue then getting a faster speed HDD would not be a bad idea, 1 TB hard drives are dirt cheap compared to the inflated prices of SSD's right now, its a sacrifice in speed for space but a 7200 RPM hard drive is still very fast.

Now there is one other thing to consider for this, once you give it more RAM and another hard disk you may want to convert this into a linux machine.

Windows 10 is on the heavy side, windows XP is out of date as is vista.

Linux may actually save this old timer, if you never heard of it well dont worry as you are probably already using it if you use an android as android is  based on linux.

As as are chromebooks too.

If you have another machine to play around with I can give suggestions on Linux versions to try.

If your father is new to computers all the better, as it makes them more open to linux as linux is actually easier than windows in a lot of areas.

Its more teaching yourself linux is where this may start to be odd but its a nice suggestion as windows may drag on that hardware.

And linux can do most of one can want on a computer like go on social media, youtube, netflix, play web based games and might actually be better for someone who is afraid of catching a computer virus.

Sure its not bulletproof but fear is one thing holding some people back from computers.

As  for your own computing issues, did you clean your machine out?

Did you make sure its free of dust and particles?

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 November 2017 - 10:37 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#5 stealthfirestar

stealthfirestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:04 PM

Thank you MadmanRB for the suggestions. I cleaned my  machine yesterday ... there is lot of dust in computer cooling fan.. now it is lot better then before in terms of heating,I had a laptop stand with fan using it with this one make it more easier to work with .. It is up and running whole night :) 

I liked the idea of LINUX on my machine.. but to start with i wanted to configure a dual boot and and once LINUX is comfortable i will take of the windows 10. Can you suggest any good link with  list of steps for installing dual boot. I used to have UBUNTU on my other machine .. but i took it off an year ago .. 

How to find out which HDD's compatible with T61. I will prefer to keep a 1TB and add 2 gigs ram to improve performance .. 

#6 stealthfirestar

stealthfirestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:43 PM

Thank you MadmanRB. I installed LUBUNTU on my machine and now it runs lot better compared to Windows  10.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,969 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

cool did you find a dual boot tutorial then?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users