Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to block Sponsored Content

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alley Cat

Alley Cat

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:01 PM

How do I block Sponsored Content from RevContent, TABOOLA, Outbrain, Steepto, etc ?

I have rarely seen ads for about 12 years now.  But in recent days, I noticed Sponsored Content pops right back after blocking it through Adblock on the Iframe.

Its likely Taboola, since it tends to have to most outrageous clickbait messages.

I mainly use Chrome, running a pair of laptops on Windows 7, with winhelp2002 mvps's HOSTS file.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

I can't guarantee this will work, but there are two things you can try:

1.  In Adblock Plus settings there is a checkbox for "Allow non-intrusive advertising" (or similar, I don't have Adblock Plus installed anymore).  If it's checked you could uncheck it.

2.  Uninstall the Adblock Plus extension and try uBlock Origin instead and see if it successfully blocks what you're hoping it would.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Alley Cat

Alley Cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:45 PM

Thank you Britechguy.  I already had "Allow non-intrusive advertising" unchecked for a few days.

uBlock origin did the trick.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:23 PM

You're quite welcome.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users