Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Microsoft Security Essentials

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wisgro123

wisgro123

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:22 PM

MSE ran today and for the first time used 99 - 100 % of my cpu and ran forever. The only way I could get it to stop was to reboot. Attempted to remove MSE. It isn't displayed in Add/Remove programs but the folder is visible and all files are intact under Program Files\Microsoft Security Client. I downloaded and ran the bleeping computer MSE Removal Tool. The tool ran but the MSE folder and files are still intact.    Any suggestions for removing MSE would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

I believe the removal tool is only for version 1. If you have version 2 use the steps here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2483120/how-to-manually-uninstall-microsoft-security-essentials-2-0-1963-if-yo

#3 wisgro123

wisgro123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:54 AM

Thanks John. Unfortunately that's just another method for opening Add/Remove which as I said doesn't display MSE.

#4 wisgro123

wisgro123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:32 AM

John, I scrolled down the microsoft page you sent. There were options to disable MSE in the registry. Unfortunately none of the sub keys MS says to delete are displayed anywhere in my registry. The last option on the page I tried was to disable MSE. Clicked Start>Run then entered: sc config msmpsvc start= disabled. Pressed OK after that entry. Went to the program files in Program Files\Microsoft Security Client and clicked MsMpEng.exe file. Nothing happened. Next opened task manager, clicked the Processes tab, scrolled to MsMpEng.exe. It was inactive. Showed 00 in the CPU usage column. I hope that does it. Thanks for your help.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

Your Welcome. You should now be able to delete the MSE folder if not done so already.

Edited by hamluis, 13 November 2017 - 10:05 AM.
Fixed typo - Hamluis.

#6 ChirunoIceFairy

ChirunoIceFairy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:31 AM

Quick question, does MSE still provide updates for its definitions for XP? I've seen around the time of the WannaCry attack a definition update for one of the v4 versions, but can't remember exactly which version.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:36 AM

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mmpc/2014/01/13/microsoft-antimalware-support-for-windows-xp/

#8 ChirunoIceFairy

ChirunoIceFairy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:12 AM

So it was basically a one-off update then. Glad to see that was cleared up :)

Any AV recommendations for XP? I currently am not running one.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:12 PM

It all depends on the CPU. I am running an old XP computer with an AMD Athlon processor that does not support SSE2 instructions. If the CPU can support SSE2 then avast is an option for free. The only AV I found that runs on XP without SSE2 is Qihoo 360 Total Security. On the old XP I hardly notice it running. It has a patch up option that will detect if you need to install any updates but it will not detect any updates if you use the POSReady hack to get updates till 2019. 

If you decide on Avast then do a custom install and pick the File and Web Shield. Some of the other modules are bloat.

https://www.winhelp.info/put-avast-free-antivirus-on-a-diet/

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 November 2017 - 12:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users