Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple HDD Failures.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mbicknell

mbicknell

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

I I bought my wife and I a HP 15-P030nr Beats Audio Special Edition laptop. Purchased in Nov-2014. In Jan-2015 the HDD died. HP's infamous 3F0/3F1 errors. That was replaced under warranty and used up until June of 2017 the put it up since I wasn't using anymore. Yesterday I got it back out since I needed it for some web development, it booted fine. Since it hasn't been used in a while, it obviously needed some windows updates, operating system is windows 10. During the updates, it stated it was restarting to finish installing updates-Thanks Microsoft. It never booted back up. When it attempted to reboot, the infamous 3F0/3F1 error hit again. Recovery media stated to HDD was found. I removed the HDD from the laptop, and plugged into my desktop, no HDD found. Boot desktop with it's regular drive, plug in laptop drive, still not found. Windows Partition Manager, Diskpart, Gparted, and EaseUs does not see the drive at all.....Ok hard drive completely failed. I took the drive out the wifes laptop (same make/model) and put it in mine....no hard drive found...same story with partition tools, none can see it. What can cause this? 3 hdd's total...2 in 1 day that don't exist to other systems. could the sata controller fry the hdd? something else going on here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:15 PM

What models are the hard drives in question?

Did you run the respective hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on each drive?

If the drive failed inside the warranty period, then I suggest sending back to manufacturer, after applying for RMA.

The errors you mention...are HP interpretations.  To assess the functional status of the drives...you need to run the hard drive manufacturer diagnostic on the drive.

Louis

If your question is whether a motherboard can cause hard drive failures...I don't think that hard drives can rely on that line of thought.

Edited by hamluis, 12 November 2017 - 03:35 PM.

#3 mbicknell

mbicknell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

Can not run diags on either drive. They don't exist to anything. Everything shows them as non existent. Including Linux.

#4 mbicknell

mbicknell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:32 PM

Both HDDs are seagates. 1tb drives

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:35 PM

I guess that I don't see what it is that you are looking for...in the way of comments.  If a connected drive fails to register properly on different computers...that's a hard drive problem, not anything related to one computer.

Hard drives fail every day...including new ones which may arrive DOA.  It's not an unusual event.

That's one of the positive reasons/arguments for moving to SSDs...the well-known failure rate for electro-mechanical hard drives.

Louis

#6 mbicknell

mbicknell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

The question was, what could cause it. What would cause the drives to instantly fail upon being plugged in, and not recognized by anything at all. As per the original question, could the sata controller cause it.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:41 PM

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/can-a-sata-controller-kill-hard-drives.2316735/

Louis

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:08 PM

MB:  This sounds like M$ has struck again.  I was able to recover a similar fault based on what the drive had happen to it during the WIN update.  Corruptions in downloads have been intermittent but clients have had complete failures.  One trick I tried was to do a complete reset of the system to factory default, both hardware tricks and forced the BIOS to unload from the firmware.  This didn't work half the time  Two out of four.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users