Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem installing Windows 10. Need Help.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:22 PM

I have been fighting with a Toshiba laptop that I want to upgrade to Windows 10.  I have a key code for Windows 10 Home but have had a horrible time trying to install it.

The Toshiba laptop originally came with Windows 8.  It has 6 gigs of Ram and 750 gig hard drive.  It also has a solid state drive.

I tried to repair the Windows 8 laptop.  It won't do a system restore.  It also won't work with a System Refresh nor a System Reset.

I took the hard drive out of the computer and was able to retrieve pictures, documents, etc.

I downloaded a media creation tool for Windows 8.1.  It would only go so far and then tell me that the Toshiba Laptop needed a Recovery Disk to correct the problem.  I also have a media creation tool for Windows 10.  I would prefer to have Windows 10 installed on the computer.\

Does it make sense to reformat the entire drive for the Toshiba and then install Windows 10.  I know it would be difficult to locate all the drivers but I don't think I am having much luck otherwise.

Would "any" recovery disk for Toshiba help me to get the system going. I can get one from ebay for about $9.00.  Thanks for any and all advice.  I am stumped. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

I downloaded a media creation tool for Windows 8.1.  It would only go so far and then tell me that the Toshiba Laptop needed a Recovery Disk to correct the problem.

I think you received this error because the install disk thought you were trying to do a repair instead of a clean install. You can set the drive up for a clean install by doing the following.

When you get to the Window where is asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X   Where X is the disk you will be installing Windows to. This is 0 on a one disk system.

clean               Deletes all partitions

convert GPT    Initializes the disk as GPT. If you get an error ignore it.

exit                  exits out of diskpart

exit                  exits out of command prompt

Continue with the install. You do not need to input a key. When you get to the below screen then click next. You could also do the above commands with the Windows 10 install disk using your key for Windows 10.

windows-8-clean-install-10-5807121f5f9b5

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:26 PM

Not opening a command prompt. No response to shift F10. Ideas

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,581 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

You do not get a command prompt by pressing Shift + F10 at the same time at the below Window? If not I have never ran into that problem. It could be a bad install disk. 

windows-8-clean-install-04-5807122c3df78

Edit: There is another method to get to the command prompt. See Option 2

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2880-open-command-prompt-boot-windows-10-a.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 November 2017 - 03:40 PM.

#5 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

I opened the Media Creation tool. It asked for language etc. did I do this in the wrong place. If I was installing Windows 10 when I get to the window that ask if I want to install Windows 10 (not repair) is that where I would press F10? Please let me know and thank you for your help.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,581 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:58 PM

I think you are getting confused between the media creation tool and the actual install media. Did you burn the DVD or create a USB flash drive using the media creation tool? I would recommend you use the media creation tool to download the iso file it offers. Use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive or burn the iso using isoburner at a speed no faster than 8x.

If using Rufus select GPT as a partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. Select iso image in the dropdown box, click on the icon and browse to the iso file you downloaded using the Media Creation Tool. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be formatted.

I posted a link from ten forums showing when you press Shift + F10 during the install process. 

#7 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:59 PM

The Toshiba Laptop has a Solid State Drive as well as a regular 500 gig hard drive. Since it is no just a one disk drive how do I proceed?? Thanks

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,581 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:02 PM

How big is the SSD?

#9 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

Cant get into it to tell. Im not sure.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,581 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:07 PM

If you can open a command prompt as I posted you can find the size from the list disk command. The reason I ask is because some laptops used a small SSD only for cache purposes. It's called Intel Smart Response Technology. If you have a small SSD you would not be installing Windows 10 to it.

Edit: It would help if you could provide the complete Toshiba model number.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 November 2017 - 05:16 PM.

#11 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:08 PM

Have church tonight. I am able to get to a command prompt. Let me get you information tomorrow and I will send it to you.
You have no idea how much I appreciate your help.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,581 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:31 PM

I'll keep an eye out. Do you recall if this computer came with two drives, the SSD and HDD, when you purchased it?

#13 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:28 AM

Just a quick note to let you know that I found the specifications for the laptop.  I guess I was confused thinking

it had a Solid State Drive.  It does not have a solid state drive.

I found the specifications on line and guess I was mistaken.

I also figured out that I can restart and hit F12 and am able to get to a command prompt.  Can I use the information you sent to me earlier to set the computer to know I am not doing a update but rather a clean install.

diskpart

list disk

select disk x ( 0 on a one disk system

clean

convert GPT (ignore error)

exit out of diskpart

wxit out of command prompt

If this is correct according to your previous suggestions, I should be able to install Windows 10???

Will I loose any of the device driver settings.  I know I can get into the Toshiba site to get device drives.  Will I have to reinstall all of them.

Thanks so much for your help.  I await your answer as to if I have things right.

You are a Godsend!!!

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,581 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:34 AM

I'm not sure F12 for the command prompt will work but you can give it a try. Did you create the bootable DVD or USB yet using the iso from the Media Creation Tool?

If you cannot get a command prompt pressing Shift + F10 you can use step 4 in option one. Click on Repair Computer > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.  This is using the Windows 10 install disk or USB.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2880-open-command-prompt-boot-windows-10-a.html

#15 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:11 PM

Was able to get to the command prompt.  After keying in the information you gave me, I clicked on install and the computer went through the installation process. I thought I was home free.  When it restarted, a screen came up saying it needed to update part of the installation for it to work.  It did but than it went back to the same recovery screen that I had before and Windows 10 is no more installed than what I had before.  It is showing a Recovery Screen but nothing I can do to get it to finish.

I think I will try to install one more time.

Thanks for your help.  No idea why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users