Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen freeze with screeching audio.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fanzypantz

fanzypantz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:52 AM

Operating System

Windows 10

Computer Specs (PSU, GPU, CPU, RAM, Motherboard)

Silent Pro M2 1000W, R9 390, i7 3770k, 16GB 1600mhz RAM, ASRock Z77 Extreme3 MB.

Speccy Link

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/fjEKjmDx5sv3xnOiyXbM0fz

Description of problem

For a little while now my PC have randomly frozen during different kinds of loads, gaming, login screen, casual browsing.. Most notably during gaming. When it happens it usually happens a few times within a few hours. Then it can be OK for a few weeks without trouble.Sometimes it freezes everything and the picture wont move, audio screeches and can't ctrl alt delete. Sometimes all three monitors turns black and becomes unresponsive.

When this issue began

A few months ago

Recurring issue

Yes

Date of purchase

CPU, SSD, RAM PSU, 4 years old. MB, GPU 2 years old.

Under Warranty

No

Cause/Steps to recreate the issue

Randomly happens, no specific load scenario that triggers it. Gaming, casual browsing, login screen.

What I've tried so far to resolve the issue

I've ran memtest and nothing came up. Stress testing both GPU and CPU at the same time yields nothing. One of my harddrives that I simply use for storage of one game that I don't play(500gb) has a few reallocated sectors warning. SSD and main storage drive are both in good condition.Ran Defender, Malwarebytes with nothing detected. Updated graphics drivers etc. Since then I've removed the harddrive with the bad sectors and tried changing PSU rail going to the GPU. Still happening several times.

Does this sound like a software or hardware problem?

Edited by fanzypantz, 12 November 2017 - 12:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fanzypantz

fanzypantz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:20 AM

I reformatted my SSD and installed windows 10 again. It just froze again when gaming.. 

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

If you reinstalled Windows 10 clean (without extra add-on programs), then the problem is most likely to be hardware related

Try monitoring your temps with this free program: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:

To make it work you have to do BOTH of the below (I have seen problems with this recently, so keep an eye on the temps in case the log doesn't catch them):

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 fanzypantz

fanzypantz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:52 PM

Here is the logfile when the last freeze happened. Looks like the hottest part right before it happened was the GPU, which is well within what I'd call safe values. Last night I ran memtest again got trough 4 passes without any errors showing up. Could it be the PSU? And if so, how can I test that out without buying a new one. Only one I have available is an old Chieftech 500w.(APS-500s). don't know if it can run the R9 390. 

Thanks for the fast replies, the reddit techsupport gave no replies. 

Edited by fanzypantz, 13 November 2017 - 01:53 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:21 PM

A video card doesn't take 500 watts to run.  The suggestions by the manufacturer are based on an average system of the type that the PSU is most often bought for.

I used an online tool and it said the R9 390 takes 308 watts, now you have to add in all the other stuff to see what the total is.

As such, I'd figure you'd need a bit more unless you strip the system down to bare minimum.

Here's my canned comments about PSU's:

What is the make/model/wattage and age of your Power Supply?
The purpose of this question is to get you to evaluate your PSU.
- PSU's tend to get less efficient with age
- adding components over time may decrease the ability of the PSU to support the entire system (Maybe remove some stuff to see if that helps?)
- while you can measure the output of a PSU with a multimeter, the readings may change dramatically when the PSU is put under load.  PSU testing instructions (by dc3) here:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/654994/pc-is-crashingfreezing-up-multiple-times-daily/page-2#entry4341756
- there's a free PSU test in the OCCT program at http://www.ocbase.com/

"Safe" values aren't really safe.  You must evaluate the entire system to see what's happening.
For example, a GPU at "Safe" values could have a part overheating that's not near the sensor - so the sensor wouldn't pickup that temp.
And, what if that part has problems at lower temps than the part with the sensor does at higher temps?

First off, your symptoms look like a video problem.  BUT, the look of a video problem can also be due to many other things (motherboard issues being the most common).  Low power from the PSU - either to the motherboard or to the GPU could also cause video problems.

Let's start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please start with the video tests (Furmark and Video2), but complete ALL of the tests - and let us know the results.

Edited by usasma, 13 November 2017 - 02:22 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 fanzypantz

fanzypantz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:22 AM

The first thing I did was to simply switch out the GPU  for a day with a GTX 670 and the system seemed stable, no freezes that day. Then I took it back into my system and started testing it.

CPU tests seems to be ok, Prime95 is stable, the Intel test passed. Furmark showed 72 degrees stable without any issues. The only thing that actually returned any errors was the memtest80 and memtestCL(ran it with 1500mhz on memory clock, 1010mhz on core clock if that makes a difference). However I have yet to have a freeze since swapping back to the 390(there can be days between system instability). I've contacted my store and it seems like it is still under some kind of warranty as they have either 2 or 5 years warranty dependending on expected living time(it's only 2 years and 3 months old).

64b592356c.png
76943b6d15.png

Edited by fanzypantz, 16 November 2017 - 08:41 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

I'm not a hardware expert.

Here's a link describing the tests:  https://simtk.org/projects/memtest

If you need more detailed information, I'd suggest posting over in the internal Hardware forums:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

As you only tested the other GPU for a day, it's difficult to say if this is due to your video card or not.

Over the last year or so I've seen more failures of the Memtest80 and MemtestCL tests - and have also seen more video card failures that weren't detected by traditional video card tests.

If it's still under warranty, have them check it out and be very specific about the problem so that they take the time to test it thoroughly,

#8 fanzypantz

fanzypantz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:18 AM

Well the freezes are back again. I'll see what their support can do next week.

Did you mean that Memtest80/CL are failing to find errors(in other words: miss-reporting), or that many GPU's show they are failing with the help of them?

Edited by fanzypantz, 18 November 2017 - 09:18 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:09 AM

What I mean is several things:

1)  I'm not a hardware expert, so my interpretation of the test results isn't necessarily correct.  My suspicion is that the Memtest80/CL test is correct and that there's a problem with the video card.  But, as I'm not real well-versed with these tests, I would suggest looking further if you want a more expert opinion of the test results

2)  This pattern (of partial video card problems) is very difficult to be sure of and getting accurate feedback from users about the problem (and what they did to resolve it) is difficult - therefore I wouldn't use it as the only reason for replacing your video card.

3)  If you decide not to go looking for more information, then I'd suggest trying another video card.  If you don't have one or can't borrow one, then I'd suggest that you might try purchasing one from a shop that'll let you return it (for your money back) if it's not needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users