Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection problems, at wits end and clueless!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TinyWings

TinyWings

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

Hi all, as my post header states, I am having connection problems, time and time again I lose my connection. I have tried many of the simpler fixes that I have found online, but nothing works. I am also getting different error messages, some saying I need to check my firewall, some saying wifi adapter needed resetting, sometimes simply saying I have no internet access.

Regarding the firewall settings, I haven't got a clue what I am doing. I don't know what 'incoming connections' are, or what the 'outgoing connections' are, so I don't know which to change to make my computer stay connected. I have noticed that Youtube is one of the sites I have the most connection problems with, but I have not, so far, had one single site where I haven't lost my connection at some point. My laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 110, and my internet supplier is Plusnet, and I'm on unlimited fibre broadband. 

I just do not have the first clue what to do, and find technical jargon mind boggling, so if you can help me at all, please know that regarding all this stuff, I am as stupid as they come. Sorry to be so difficult!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TinyWings

TinyWings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:23 PM

This is one of the error messages that keeps popping up. I can't remember what the others say, but I will screen shot and upload when othgers appear (Providing it's ok to do so? )

Attached File  bleeping error message.jpg   46.58KB   1 downloads

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:47 PM

Do you have a complete model number? There should be an alpha numeric number after the 110? It could be on the bottom or in the battery compartment if it has one.

#4 TinyWings

TinyWings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

Do you have a complete model number? There should be an alpha numeric number after the 110? It could be on the bottom or in the battery compartment if it has one.

Hi, thank you so much for responding. The complete model number is : Lenovo ideapad 110-15ACL.

If it helps, the model name printed underneath the model number is 80TJ.

Edited by TinyWings, 12 November 2017 - 05:40 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:53 PM

Try the following first. 

Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS. Follow the below guide. Remember to flush your DNS cache and Browser cache. Edit: Make a note of DNS server addresses if any are listed in case you need to revert.

https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/228007207-Windows-10-Configuration

Reboot your computer. I would also disable, not uninstall, your Ethernet Adapter in Device Manager. Sometimes Windows 10 gets confused when both Ethernet and Wifi are enabled. 

Set your adapter to Maximum Power.

If the above does not help then I would reinstall the Wifi driver but I have not found the support page for your model number as of yet.

Here is your Wifi Driver.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/100-SERIES/110-15ACL/80TJ/downloads/DS112709

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 November 2017 - 06:01 PM.

#6 TinyWings

TinyWings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:13 PM

Thank you JohnC_21. It will probably take me a while to follow the above, so please don't think I have abandoned my post, I am just going to be very careful or I will fluff it for sure!

Ok, hit one problem, when it comes to flushing DNS, the windows 10 versions shown are different to mine, mine is windows 10 home edition, so not sure what to do regarding that?

DNS flushed (I believe, I used cmd and ipconfig /flushdns)

Edited by TinyWings, 12 November 2017 - 06:59 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:17 PM

Take your time. Print out the instructions if that would help. 

Edit: For flushing the DNS cache in Windows 10 press the Windows key + X > command prompt (admin). It may be called Powershell (admin) depending on your version of Windows 10. At the prompt type

ipconfig /flushdns

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 November 2017 - 06:30 PM.

#8 TinyWings

TinyWings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:38 PM

Struggling already sorry.. My windows 10 version is windows 10 home, but I don't see that listed in the 'how to' regarding flush DNS cache?

Struggling already sorry.. My windows 10 version is windows 10 home, but I don't see that listed in the 'how to' regarding flush DNS cache?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

I edited my post #7 with instructions for flushing the DNS cache in Windows 10. Did you change the DNS server addresses to OpenDNS? This should be done first.

#10 TinyWings

TinyWings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:46 PM

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:53 PM

Press the Windows key + X. In the context menu you should see command prompt (admin) or Powershell (admin). Click on it and a command prompt window will open.

Type

ipconfig /flushdns

Note: you need to first change the DNS addresses following the OpenDNS link I posted before flushing the DNS cache. You also need to clear your browser cache.

Have you changed the DNS addresses to OpenDNS or are you having a problem with that?

#12 TinyWings

TinyWings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:14 PM

Press the Windows key + X. In the context menu you should see command prompt (admin) or Powershell (admin). Click on it and a command prompt window will open.

Type

ipconfig /flushdns

Note: you need to first change the DNS addresses following the OpenDNS link I posted before flushing the DNS cache. You also need to clear your browser cache.

Have you changed the DNS addresses to OpenDNS or are you having a problem with that?

I have now rebooted, so fingers crossed. Regarding the DNS addresses, I just typed in those numbers in the spaces provided, where it said use these instead (something like that, I had to check the other box and then I could type in the numbers you gave me, and also the alternative numbers underneath). Hopefully that was correct? Thank you so much for your patience, I am terrible with anything like this, so your help is very much appreciated!

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

It sounds like you did it correctly. Did you change the power configuration and also disable your Ethernet adapter?

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/change-power-saving-mode-of-wireless-adapter-in-windows-10.html

To disable your Ethernet type Network Connections in the Search Box. Click on the Ethernet connection. Right click and select Disable.

http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/os-windows-10-network-adapter-enable.html

#14 TinyWings

TinyWings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:48 PM

It sounds like you did it correctly. Did you change the power configuration and also disable your Ethernet adapter?

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/change-power-saving-mode-of-wireless-adapter-in-windows-10.html

To disable your Ethernet type Network Connections in the Search Box. Click on the Ethernet connection. Right click and select Disable.

http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/os-windows-10-network-adapter-enable.html

Yes, I changed the power configuration, and did disable the ethernet adapter. The links you have been including all along have been a great help, and even tough I stumbled a couple of times, I got there. I would never have made my way through it without your step by step guidance though. Hopefully I wont need to update/change my wifi adapter, but IF I need to, I'd like to continue on in this post with your guidance, if that would be ok?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:51 PM

Sure, if I do not respond then give me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users