Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can substitute SSD?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 njtutor

njtutor

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:05 AM

I have a computer whose single, 500 GB SATA hard drive is beginning to fail.

I regularly do full-image backups to an external drive, so when my internal drive fails I can simply replace it with an identical new one and restore the image from the external copy.  However, I would like to substitute a 500 GB solid state drive. 

My questions are:  (1) Are there any settings in a Windows 7 operating system (or the BIOS) that apply specifically to the mechanical drive and would make the system inoperable?  If not, (2) Will the OS recognize that its drive is now a solid state, and disable Windows 7’s automatic defragmentation function since SDD’s should not be defragmented?

Thank you.

njtutor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

Yes this is possible, do you have any backup media such as a external thumbdrive or hard disk?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 njtutor

njtutor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I backup to an external hard drive and restore using a Windows CE 'Rescue' CD.  My concern, as I mentioned was not only whether Windows 7 and the BIOS would recognize the change, but whether the OS would no longer use its automatic defragmentation function, which is unnecessary in SSDs and constitutes extra wear-and-tear on the drive.

NJTutor

Edited by njtutor, 12 November 2017 - 01:48 PM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

Well you will have to format the SSD to NTFS in windows.

If your current drive has life just use the windows disk management tool.

As for auto defrag you can turn it off

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3292-disk-defragmenter-schedule-turn-off.html

If you have to use another method well you could use a USB thumb drive for real cheap and turn it into a windows installer disk

Reinstallinfg windows isnt hard but it is annoying, but can be done.

There is a usb image creator for windows 7 if you wish it and one can get windows disk images for free and legally, you just need to know your windows licence key.

Edited by MadmanRB, 12 November 2017 - 02:09 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 njtutor

njtutor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

Thank you for the additional information.  Yes, I realize that the SSD must be formatted.  I have other computers that can do it if the computer in question has failed before I substitute the SSD for the HDD.

I looked at the Disk Management Tools and the one I assume you're referring to is the disk checker.  I've used chkdsk in the past but I'll try the one in Tools in case it's different.

I found the defragmenter function in the services list and I could disable it there, but the link you sent gives a much more powerful control, so a special thanks for that.

It seems to me that using my Windows CE rescue disk and the full-mage backup file on an external hard drive, I should be able to clone the HDD image to the new SSD, making reinstallation of Windows or any of my programs unnecessary.

Thanks for all your help.

NJTutor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users