Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Hangs For Seemingly No Reason

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mochafrap

mochafrap

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:49 AM

Dear BleepingComputer Gurus,

My laptop often (= once or twice a day on average) freezes while I'm working on it. This lasts for ~45-60 seconds, and then things go back to normal. I have only a few applications installed - Chrome, Edge, MS Office (Excel, Word & PowerPoint), and maybe a couple of others. When the issue happens, 2-3 of these may be open (at most), and with limited instances.

The issue is hard to replicate, but happens annoyingly often. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be and how I might fix it? 

My laptop is an HP, with an i5-6200 CPU and 8GB RAM. I'm using Win10 version 1709 build 16299.19. I also use Norton Security. I have, in the past, tried using CCleaner to remove dead links and clean up the registry, but it has not helped.

Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks in advance,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 25techsupport

25techsupport

• Banned Spammer
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:15 AM

power on the computer and do not open any applications and Open your task manager

And now check the CPU uses and the file that is consuming a lot of memory on your computer

Can you share the screenshot of your task manager so we can get idea how much memory and which are the files that are consuming so much memory even your computer is a idle state

Edited by 25techsupport, 13 November 2017 - 04:16 AM.

#3 mochafrap

mochafrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:46 AM

Attached File  Task Manager.png   260.1KB   0 downloads

Hi 25techsupport,

Many thanks for your reply. Here's a screenshot of the Task Manager immediately after a restart. The CPU usage is quite low, but disk usage is 100% and remains that way for several minutes after restarting.

Thanks,

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

Please show a screenshot of the Processes tab

Make the Task Manager window as large as possible - so we can see as many of the processes as possible

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 mochafrap

mochafrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

Thanks, usasma, for your reply. Here are 3 screenshots after a fresh reboot -

- #1 is ~45-60 seconds after reboot. No apps are open at this time

- #2 is ~45-60 seconds after #1. I used the search function in Cortana to open Paint, and pasted screenshot #1 there. 

- #3 is ~45-60 seconds after #2. Cortana should no longer be in use, but Paint remains open

Thanks again for taking the time to look through this.

Attached Files

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

Norton Security is my guess.

Try clicking once or twice on the Disk column header.  That'll sort the list by that column.
Let us see a screenshot of it then.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 mochafrap

mochafrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:10 PM

Hi usasma,

Thanks for the reply. Processes are already sorted from highest to lowest disk usage in all 3 screenshots.

If it is indeed Norton Security, would you recommend just living with the issue? Or would you happen to know of any settings I can change to address the high disk usage?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

I'd suggest temporarily uninstalling Norton Security to test and see if it's the only problem.

Use Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall while testing

You can always reinstall a fresh copy after testing - and often a reinstall of a fresh copy will fix the problems that the first version was having on your system.

#9 mochafrap

mochafrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:34 PM

Thanks usasma, will do. I'd like to test this out over a couple of days at least, so my next update will likely be over the weekend.

Thanks again for all your help with this!

#10 mochafrap

mochafrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:03 PM

Hi usasma - The laptop seems to be performing much better since the Norton Antivirus uninstall and reinstall. Many thanks for your help!

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:57 PM

Glad to hear it.  Thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users