Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive - Seagate - Cannot View

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 devonaravenhold

devonaravenhold

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:12 AM

Hello all,

I tried to do a quick search prior to making this post, but wasn't successful in finding a solution...hence this post.

I have a Seagate External HD that I have been using for some time. Yesterday, I had to do a format of my internal Seagate hard drive, and now have lost visibility to my external HD files. The external shows up in Device Manager, however, not in BIOS and not any other searches I perform. I have even downloaded 2 separate recovery software packages, and they do not appear to have visibility of the drive either. Below are screenshots of what I have been seeing, should that help at all.

I am running Windows 7 currently (want to upgrade to 10 again, as the format wiped my free upgrade, ugh!)

The Motherboard is ASUS z97M-Plus

The External HD is Seagate - Backup Plus Portable Drive Model SRD00F1

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files

Edited by devonaravenhold, 12 November 2017 - 11:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:29 AM

I am running Windows 7 currently (want to upgrade to 10 again, as the format wiped my free upgrade, ugh!)

Because you already had Windows 10 installed you could have done a clean install with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool but this would also remove any OEM programs included with your computer.

Please post a screenshot of Disk Management with the USB drive attached.

Was this drive attached during the reinstall of Windows 7?

#3 devonaravenhold

devonaravenhold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:31 AM

I wish that I could of done that. When I was forced to format my drive *there were no other available options*, I had my original 7 disk available. I used the Tool to do the insertion and upgrade to 10, but then it was asking for a key. If I was ever given a key when I did the free upgrade a couple of year or so back...I no longer have it. So...lost cause. I did include the Disk Manager with USB drive image above along with multiple other images. 

The drive was unattached.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,269 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:38 AM

I don't see Disk Management, only Device Manager. Right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management. 

#5 devonaravenhold

devonaravenhold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:02 AM

Sorry about the delay, my mouse is freezing more and more and more...I'm about to toss the whole thing out and just be done with the whole PC! Lol. I added the Disk Manager screenshot up there in the original post.

Edited by devonaravenhold, 12 November 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,269 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:14 AM

The computer is not detecting your USB external in disk management. 

I am not sure this is your problem but the MB has USB 3 ports. Windows 7 does not have native USB 3 drivers. Did you try attaching the USB external drive to a USB 2 port colored black. USB 3 is colored blue. The USB 2 ports are below your PS/2 mouse keyboard port.

Go here and download the USB 3 driver if you have not done so. I would also download and install the Chipset Driver.

#7 devonaravenhold

devonaravenhold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:21 AM

Yea, I have actually attempted it on every USB port I have on my system. It used to be connected on the top of my case (which hosts 2 USB ports and one eSATA port, as well as a mic and headphone jack)

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,269 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:02 PM

If after installing the chipset driver you have the same problem I would reinstall Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. You can download the iso and use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive. In the dropdown box select GPT partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. In the dropdown box select iso image if not already listed, click the icon, and browse to the iso you downloaded. 

Make sure UEFI is enabled. From the MB support site the MB is UEFI. Looking at your Disk Management image the disk is MBR, not GPT. A MBR disk cannot boot on a UEFI computer. Perhaps this MB can autodetect.  For your MB you should be using a GPT disk, especially when using Windows 10. 

Boot the USB flash drive and at the Window asking for language press Shift + F10. This will open a Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type

diskpart

list disk

select disk X     Where X is the disk you will be installing Windows to. This is 0 on a one disk system

clean                 This will wipe all partitions. Be sure you selected the correct disk in the previous command

convert GPT      Sets the disk for UEFI.

exit                    exits diskpart prompt

exit                    exits command prompt

continue with the install. See the following guide. Its for Windows 8 but the steps are the same for 10. When you get to the below Window click next as the disk will be unallocated. Windows 10 will automatically partition and format the disk.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

windows-8-clean-install-10-5807121f5f9b5

If you want to verify if the USB ports are good on the MB before installing Windows 10 you can download a live linux distro. I would suggest Mint Cinnamon. You can also use Rufus to create the bootable USB or burn the iso to a DVD. Right click on any Windows 7 computer and select Burn Disk Image. Boot Mint and it will run in RAM and off the USB or DVD. The hard drive will not be touched. When Mint boots do not input anything. Wait until you get to the desktop. Click Computer on the desktop. Your devices are in the left pane. Attach your USB external. You should see a USB icon appear. Click on it and see if the USB external mounts. 

Does this USB external open on another computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users