Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS & UEFI at the same time?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ozzynotwood

ozzynotwood

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:54 AM

Is this right? (see attachment)

Laptop has both BIOS & UEFI or is this just a bit of terminology crossover?

JC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:11 AM

Unfortunately there does not seem to be an attachment to look at....................................

#3 ozzynotwood

ozzynotwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:20 AM

Unfortunately there does not seem to be an attachment to look at...................................

Damn it, picture was of a the diagnostic tools baked into a HP laptop. Title says "UEFI" and the middle of the screen shows "BIOS Version".

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:41 AM

UEFI is frequently is still frequently referred to as "BIOS"

My fairly old HP laptop has EUFI that can be set to act like conventional (legacy) BIOS - & as the original OS on it was XP & it is a very early implementation of UEFI it has always been set for legacy BIOS operation & is unlikely to be changed.

My Gigabyte Z170 motherboard is UEFI but the manual still has a section for BIOS settings, & refers to BIOS updates.

Edited by rqt, 12 November 2017 - 05:42 AM.

#5 ozzynotwood

ozzynotwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:08 AM

My fairly old HP laptop has EUFI that can be set to act like conventional (legacy) BIOS

That actually makes a lot of sense. My UEFI can also be set to legacy which would give the option of both technologies. Still looked a bit odd on my screen LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users