Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Assistance Please ....need to install driver(s) after OS and hard drives ...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:36 AM

Gentlemen & Ladies,

Due to a change of OS ( fresh/ clean) installation ( not from DVD disks but ISO file )of Windows from original OS 32 bits Vista Ultimate sp2 to Windows 7-Professional-64 bits, and a replacement of solid state drives, makes me believe I will need to replace the driver for the Intel processor.

My laptop is a good old Sony Vaio VGN-AR770 that has Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 2.6 GHz / Or called PM965? processor.

BIOS info: Pheonix Tech LTD, version R2080J8

I tried using the " Intel Driver & Support Assist " from Intel's website , but the scanning takes forever.

I went back to Sony's website for driver/software, but they only have the 32 bits version/ Vista available for my laptop.

Due to the installation of OS was done on a clean/ flash basis, i believe the original driver for the intel chipset is gone, now perhaps running on Windows 7 Professional genetic driver??

Would anyone give me the link for the driver, please?

Or should download & install the 32 bits driver from Sony's website and then try the "Intel Driver & Support Assist"  again?? Will this brings me a blue screen of death ?? I mean mixing 32 bits driver with 64 bits platform???

Furthermore, I also ran into a similar situation with Nvidia driver, I found from their website the 64 bits version of Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT driver, but I cannot install the driver, is it because i did not install the 32 bits driver from Sony and now using Windows 7 Pro 's genetic driver--so it cannot detect a Nvidia driver??

In addition, do I need to update the BIOS after the OS's changed? 

p.s. Earlier I asked for assistance at this section for help, and John C 21 was so nice to help me. He is a great guy !

Thank you in advance,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 adi1104

adi1104

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:10 AM

I think your system doesn't support 64 bit OS since it has a 32 bit processor. I think that's why you can't install the 64 bit driver for your graphics card, try installing the 32 bit driver for Nvidia. If that works, then you must install the 32 bit version of Windows 7.

Mostly you'll require Display, Audio, Network, Touchpad and Bluetooth drivers, and you can get these from your manufacturer's support page.

Go through the below link to find out what happens if you install 64 bit Windows in a 32 bit system-

https://superuser.com/questions/518631/what-happens-if-i-install-64-bit-windows-8-in-32-bit-system-is-it-possible

I hope this helps.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

Information.

Your system has a 64-bit CPU, See Info.

Louis

#4 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

Gentlemen, 

First of all, thank you for yr response. 

Yes, before I installed the Windows 7 Pro, I ran the microsoft's test to see if I could, and was also confirmed by Sony's spec, my laptop is 64 bits capable. That's why I went ahead for installation. 

Originally I thought the easiest way was to go back to Sony's website for driver, but situation turns out not exactly ...

-Sony spunned off VAIO their computer units 2-3 years ago, as a result, they no longer update their drivers/ softwares, the one still has, for my laptop model, still dedicated for Vista Ultimate 32 bits. 

-The DVD disks set from VAIO and OEM OS, was also for 32 bits, which does not help much in my situation. 

-The installation of Windows 7 Pro OS, was done with ISO version of Windows, which I got from another cheaper laptop that I have. 

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance,

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

Well...first...if you installed Win 7 from an OEM version of Win 7 which is the property/culmination of an OEM other than Sony...I think you don't understand what limitations are inherent in OEM systems and licensing agreements for such which are issued by Microsoft.  Basically...you cannot legally install software from OEM System 1...on OEM System 35.  And, even if you manage to do such...the likelihood of system problems from such effort...are likely to be frustrating, since the drivers, settings, etc. from System1...are not likely to be the same as those for System 35.

OEM Windows installs/licenses are specific to the system installed on by the system manufacturer.  They cannot legally be moved to another system.

All else is immaterial, IMO.

If you want to install Win 7, you need a valid license to install it.  It appears to me that you don't have such.

I may be missing the boat here...but that's how I interpret what you have posted.  I could be wrong...licenses and such are the province of Microsoft and they have their own way of protecting their property rights.

Louis

#6 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:31 PM

Hello Louis, 

Both of my laptops were purchased from Sony VAIO, and I have both products key(s). Sorry, I did not make it clear. And I understand your concerns. 

Reason for the switch was that this was a more expensive laptop than the 2nd one, the 2nd one I decided to try Linux or Chrome OS later. 

I originally wanted to try Windows 10 but after seeing so many postings on this forum, I decided not to, besides, WIndows 7 have been proven a very reliable OS. 

I already installed the Windows 7 Pro  ONLY onto 1st one, to the best of my understanding, but i am not sure using the drivers for the 2nd one will work, after all, the hardware(s) inside are different, although they all sony drivers. At the same time, i am also not sure, what if I go back and install the original 32 bits driver for this one, after all, to me it is a concern Vista 32 bits based driver, on 64 bits OS now??

Any suggestions

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:42 PM

-The installation of Windows 7 Pro OS, was done with ISO version of Windows, which I got from another cheaper laptop that I have. 

Your Terminology is not correct here?  Are you saying you used the Recovery Disks from another laptop that Came with Windows 7 Pro?  That would be called an OEM Version, not an "ISO Version"  There is no ISO Version, an ISO is a type of file.  If it was in iso format, and you created the Disk with it, then maybe it was a Retail Version?  ISO FILE TYPE  This would have been something that someone Downloaded, and again, Burned to a Disk.

What you will need is a Retail Version of Windows 7 and an unused License Key (Product Key) to Activate it, unless that is already what you have.

If the install has completed I would not worry about the BIOS Update just yet, IMO.

You will need to search for drivers Specific to Windows 7 64bit for all your Devices.

Furthermore, I also ran into a similar situation with Nvidia driver, I found from their website the 64 bits version of Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT driver, but I cannot install the driver, is it because i did not install the 32 bits driver from Sony and now using Windows 7 Pro 's genetic driver--so it cannot detect a Nvidia driver??

This is an issue that I'm not familiar with, and it  looks as though you cannot do this as the driver only comes as 32bit.  There may be workarounds but I wouldn't bother if it were me.

Yes, John_C is very helpful and knowledgable!

I find many Vista computers don't or won't run Windows 7 well, or at all.  I would go for a Linux Desktop in this case if it were me.  Although, it looks like Linux don't have the 64bit either.  Though you can still install linux as 32bit as well as Windows 7, but Linux will most likely run better and faster.  If you are interested or can't find an answer here just ask about Linux and we'll explain.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:51 PM

Gentlemen, 

Enclosed please find a photo I just upload, it clearly shows my Sony VAIO VGN-AR770 now installed with 7, please...instead of spending yr precious time on my Windows OS installation, any suggestions on driver(s) will be truly appreciated.

I believe, if i am not wrong, I need to install:

1. 64 bits of Intel driver for my processor listed on 1st page of my posting,

2. 64 bits version of Nvidia driver -GeForce 8600M GT 

3. BIOS update -

My questions are:

-In what sequence should I do this? 

-Should I go back to Sony first install the 32 bits driver for my laptop then go to Intel and Nvidia for update drivers, it seems to me now drivers are genetic from Windows 7? Or I should NOT do it this way??

-Should I go to Intel and Nvidia directly ? But seems to me they can't detect my original driver. 

-How will be the correct way doing it, 

thx

Attached Files

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:06 PM

Whether your install is legal/valid...may not be important to you...but there is a forum rule which addresses illegal software installs and which makes your stated situation worthy of inquiry and explanation.

Excerpt:  "No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

Louis

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,084 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:45 PM

It's a moot point because there are NO 64bit drivers for that Nvidia Card.  You will need to wait and see if anyone else has info on fixing this issue, and then you need to make sure you have a legal license for Windows 7 or it won't work anyhow, and you did not address this question I asked before about what type of Install Media you used.  And the issue hamluis just explained to you.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:53 PM

Gentlemen, 

I respect all of yr opinion and decision not to help. 

Either way, thank you all for yr time. 

@pcpunk: FYI, i did find from Nvidia's website, there is that 64 bits driver for my Nvidia, i suggest you to check Nvidia's website. 

It's just that I would like to find out how it will be the correct way as i don't want to run into blue screen of death or more severe damages. 

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,084 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:06 PM

Yes, I see the drivers now! but I will bow out to this subject if it is not in line with the rules here.

Edited by pcpunk, 13 November 2017 - 11:12 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:29 AM

Is this the same Sony Computer as in the below thread I linked to, the one you needed Windows 7 for? In that thread you stated the computer has a valid COA sticker with the Windows 7 key.  The reason I ask because in this thread you stated you moved from Vista to Windows 7. How was this accomplished because a Vista Computer would have a COA sticker with a key for Vista, not Windows 7. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/661890/windows-first-stuck-at-booting-crcdisksys;-nowi-just-bought-2-samsung-ssd-to/#entry4372185

#14 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:34 PM

I apologize to make everybody confused, I have 2 computers both sony vaio, 1 running vista and the other one running windows 7 pro. Both are running into trouble(s). Both has its own key stickers on the bottom of each computer. 

Once again, I am apologize for any misunderstanding. 

In the course of fixing, i ran into the mistakes if mixing up many things. 

Edited by browniebrownie141, 15 November 2017 - 05:36 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:00 PM

Go to Device Manager. On every device with a yellow exclamation point right click and select Properties. Under the details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and Paste the first line for each device with the yellow exclamation point. If the computer is running normally I don't believe you need a BIOS update. But, if you do a BIOS update this should be the first thing to do. You need to make sure the laptop is fully charged and plugged in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users