Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What am I missing? Is this the only laptop that meets my requirements?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 EPerd

EPerd

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:10 AM

Long story short, I've been searching for a laptop with
I7 7700 or higher
16gb ram
256+gb ssd
1+tb hdd(preferably 7200rpm,but 5400 isn't a deal breaker)

My price point is/was $500-$1000 usd(willing to go a little higher)

The only laptop I've found that meets all of these requirements is the Asus vivobook pro m580vd

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071ZL3996/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510462938&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=M580vd&dpPl=1&dpID=512sYinkCrL&ref=plSrch

Is there some horrible catch I'm missing here? Are there any other laptops in even the $800-$1100 price range that are similar or better?

I'm really surprised that I can only find one laptop that fits the bill,and with cyber Monday fast approaching I'd really appreciate some tips, insights, and/or feedback.

Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:08 AM

I don't know if there's a site that you can search for laptops deals with very specific specs from different sellers... Perhaps would be a good idea if not?

Anyway scanning Amazon here's a few that are near to the spec you are after, but not quite

Acer Predator Helios 300 (No HDD included, but higher spec GPU) - https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-7700HQ-1060-6GB-G3-571-77QK/dp/B06Y4GZS9C/

Dell Inspiron i5577 (No HDD, 512 Gb SSD) - https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i5577-7342BLK-PUS-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B06XFC44CL/

Acer Aspire VX 15 (No HDD, can be added) - https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-Gaming-GeForce-VX5-591G-75RM/dp/B01N12YZ7B/

Samsung Gaming NP800G5M-X01US (128 Gb SSD & 1 Tb) - https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-NP800G5M-X01US-Notebook-Odyssey-Knights/dp/B01N5SK83S

MSI GL62M 7RDX-1096 (seems to meet most requirements) - https://www.amazon.com/MSI-7RDX-1096-Performance-i7-7700HQ-SteelSeries/dp/B071HKJQQ6

I haven't read reviews on any of them, just picked them out by searching on the processor type. That would be something to do before making your final decision.

Is there any room for flexibility on the storage requirements?  For example, a 512 Gb SSD should hold most of what you'd want to keep on a laptop on a day to day basis, perhaps with a fast USB 3 external HDD for keeping bulky projects, video's, samples etc?  Some may have room to add an HDD.  They aren't expensive and usually not too hard to fit (e.g. a 2.5" 1 Tb 7200 rpm drive can be found for around $55)

#3 EPerd

EPerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for the info! For me the hdd is more important than the gpu, as I don't intend to do anything TOO graphic intensive(certainly not gaming). I'm not 100% opposed to adding parts, but a good warranty/customer service is very important to me, and it seems changing out parts or adding parts voids most of the former.
External components aren't out of the question either, but I'd much prefer to have most everything inside (barring maybe a Bluetooth or mouse dingle). I looked into the first 3,and I'll check out the 5th but I'd like to steer clear of Samsung if possible.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,287 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

Based on your follow-up comments on this thread, and information offered earlier, you are being far too restrictive in your search.

There are lots and lots of machines that fall into "the zone" you're looking for and, like in the game of horseshoes, close really does count unless you have some extremely specific need for each and every thing that's on your wish list, and by your own admission you don't.

Cut your specs some slack, and not even a whole bunch of it, and you'll have more options than you care to consider.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#5 EPerd

EPerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:40 AM

I hear you, and appreciate the suggestion, but I will need a computer that can handle marketing oriented work, schoolwork, 2 music creation programs(sibelius and FL studio), live streaming, light video and photo editing, a VPN, iTunes, and a LOT of long term storage in realms of videos, pics, music, and text documents. A lot of these will need to be run simultaneously on top of my web browser(which usually has 4-8 tabs open at once).

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,287 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:14 PM

EPerd,

As I said in another thread related to this, what you propose to do does not require much *simultaneous* processing power as you cannot be doing all of those things at once even if all programs to do them were open at once.

Right now I have two Chrome windows open, one with 54 tabs and the other with 4.  A Firefox window open with 37 tabs open, an Edge window with 6 tabs open, an Everything Search Window and a File Explorer window open as well.  There are multiple processes running in the background, and this is what my Task Manager looks like:

taskmgrexample.jpg 

This is on a machine with 8GB of memory and an AMD A8-6410 APU.  I can (and did, last night) stream video without a burp with all of this running, plus a bit more.

It is very difficult, these days, to find a mid-range (or higher) processor that is incapable of handling the kind of loads and programs you propose using with ease, and often several of them actively doing work at one time.

You are being far, far too restrictive based upon your intended usage.  But in the end that's your call to make.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

#7 EPerd

EPerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:44 PM

Interesting. The music software and video editing is what I'm most worried about. I'm not really willing to budge on storage, but I am willing to reconsider ram and processor. Thanks for your input. I'll broaden my search a bit.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,287 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:02 PM

Audacity runs "slicker n' snot on a doorknob" on my humble machine.  I don't do video editing of any significance.

You won't have to compromise on storage.  It's easy to find laptops with huge storage these days.  As it turns out I've purchased two of the model I recommended to you on your original thread and part of that choice was the fact that they have 12GB RAM and a 2TB hard drive coupled with a processor that's so far ahead of the one on my machine, which I have no real issue with as far as processing, that I couldn't resist.  I have a 500 GB drive that I'm getting close to filling up.

I cannot imagine, based on what you've stated your uses would be, that you'd ever come close to exploiting all 16GB of RAM, either, but it's nice to have breathing room.  Given the price of RAM these days, which has gone up, you might find that a 12GB box more than meets your needs and drops the price some.  You could also consider a SSHD (solid state hybrid drive) which combines a very small solid-state drive to give you a speed boost with what is generally a very large conventional HDD to max out your bang for the buck storage wise.  I've ordered a 1TB SSHD to replace the 500GB one on this machine.  That leaves me with a more viable "fallback machine" should I need one.

#9 EPerd

EPerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:51 AM

The 12gb of ram I can see, but the price of laptops with sshd drives that I've seen are very close in price to ssd+hdd combos(close enough where I feel I can justify going for the latter option).
I can't seem to find the laptop you recommended in my previous thread, and my original post doesn't have any comments from you that I can tell. Can you please restate the name of the device?

Also, I have been looking into processors a bit more and it seems I can go with an i7-6700hq or even an i7-8550u and possibly save some money while sacrificing close to nothing in performance. I'll continue searching for an i5 that feels right. Any suggestions in that department in terms of generation or lettering etc.?

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:07 AM

I was going to be suggesting the i5 range, really you wont lose out too much as i7 laptops are quite pricey.

Is this for schoolwork? or you want something portable?

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 November 2017 - 09:08 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,287 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

EPerd,

I had mentioned considering an AMD APU based machine on the other thread.  The link to the spec sheet for the computer I was thinking of is in this post from that thread and one of the two actual examples I purchased is here.  [The other, in a different case color, came from Amazon.]

There is also a thread that's running parallel to this one where I gave links to several vendors for the model above plus its 17" equivalent.  See here.

These have 2TB hard drives, but they are HDDs.  For me, absolutely blazing speed when it comes to disc access is not a make or break thing.

Edited by britechguy, 13 November 2017 - 10:18 AM.

#12 EPerd

EPerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

Ah, thanks. My apologies. I was looking at the wrong thread.

I think 1tb hdd would suffice for me, especially if I have an SSD for the programs and os. 2tb may be cheaper, but I'd really like to get on the ssd bandwagon lol.

And madman, do ya have any suggestions for an i5?

I'd be using the laptop for schoolwork, regular work (primarily just Microsoft office and some video streaming for the latter), mid range music production (FL studio and sibelius), and some light video and photo editing. As far as leisurely stuff goes, I'd be storing and building upon a vast music library via iTunes
Not to mention web browsing and video streaming but I don't think that there is a computer in existence today which CAN'T handle that lol

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:36 PM

Something in Dells inspiron line will do

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-inspiron-17-5000/spd/inspiron-17-5770-laptop?appliedRefinements=401

Got some good features in that line, and a i5 is still a great processor for your needs, sure the i7 is better suited but if you are a student hey comprises may need to happen.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#14 EPerd

EPerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:45 PM

Those look pretty awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I was not able to make out if the ram was upgradable. Do you happen to know?

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:35 PM

Yup ram is upgradable, dells tend to be user servicable these days, just screws

Proud Vivaldi user.