Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7...any problem with having files on the desktop?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Inset irises

Inset irises

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:00 AM

In the event of any hardware issues, is there any problem with having large data/photo

files on the desktop?

IE, is any location on the C drive "less safe" for storing data?

Another thing...when I sync my iPhone 6, it appears to be uploading all the photos from

my Pictures library, which I don't want it to do.  I want to have all of my photos in one

master folder (I used XP for years and still think in XP) as I have a ton of duplicates I am

trying to condense.  Should I just keep the photos in a folder with a different title?

Also, is there a picture / overview illustrating how Windows 7 organizes things (is it a tree?)

Thanks

ii

Edited by Inset irises, 12 November 2017 - 12:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:34 AM

You don't really have files on the desktop, only shortcuts to the files. Personally, I don't keep data files on my system drive - I keep them on a separate partition or drive. But regardless of where you store them, you must have a backup strategy in place. I use Acronis True Image and create images of all of my drives twice a month I store them on separate hard drives (both internal and external). As long as you do something like this you never have to worry about losing important files.

Edited by Allan, 12 November 2017 - 06:34 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:49 AM

I save some downloads (apps, photos, webpages) to my desktop routinely for the sake of convenience.

There is no real downside to such if one has sufficient free space on the Windows partition.  When free space on that partition becomes an issue...I just move or delete little-used or unused items to a different partition....bearing in mind that Windows needs a certain amount of free space on the Windows partition in order to function properly.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users