Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Process Manager?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:48 AM

Hi everyone

I'm looking for a program that will automatically shut down and restart selected processes whenever I start programs that require a lot of resources. At the moment I am running a program called FS AutoStart whenever I use my flight simulator. It tells me which processes are safe to have automatically shut down whenever I start the flight simulator. It also gives you a choice of which of the processes to turn back on when I've finished using the FS. However, this autostart program appears to be limited to FS only. I need one that will do the same sort of job no matter what programs I intend using.

Does anyone have suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:21 PM

Sounds to me like more of a bsod, go to My Computer>Control Panel>System Go to the advanced tab and click on the recovery option, make sure that auto restart is not clicked. If it is not clicked in the first place, I would check to make sure your card is not close to overheating, make sure you have enough cooling options going.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:34 PM

Ahem. The original poster is not discussing a problem with running his computer, but rather wants to know if there is an application that will allow her/him to shut off unnecessary processes when loading up a resource hungry program and that will allow him/her to turn those processes back on when closing that program.

I haven't heard of such an application, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. It would certainly be an intriguing option for those, like me, who have lesser amounts of RAM.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:24 PM

I don;t know of any such progrma either, but if one exisats there's a good chance you'll find it at CNET Download.com.

#5 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:24 PM

I don;t know of any such progrma either, but if one exisats there's a good chance you'll find it at CNET Download.com.

Thanks a lot. I will have a look at that link and let you know what I find. Sounds as though others could benefit from such a program too. If there's one for Flight Simulators, I'm sure there has to be others, even if they are not freeware like FS AutoStart.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:17 PM

The same ones at cnet are at download.com too - just a few.

Do a search for process manager.

Be careful what you disable though - you can hose your system if you disable the wrong ones.

#7 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:21 PM

hi, all,

FSAutoStart, a popular utility for users of Microsoft Flight Simulator to maximize system performance, has now been released in a new version. It is a utility not just for Flight Simulator users, but for users of any application that needs as much resources your computer can offer.

seems like this version is what you're looking for:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-...AutoStart.shtml

#8 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:38 PM

The same ones at cnet are at download.com too - just a few.

Do a search for process manager.

Be careful what you disable though - you can hose your system if you disable the wrong ones.

CNET only has one download site. :thumbsup:

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:07 AM

At cnet:
Process Manager 1
Check your system's performance and manage the running processes. Windows 2000/XP/2003 Server

Download now
Advance Process Manager 1.0
Manage various processes run by your computer. Windows Me/NT/2000/XP/2003 Server

Download now
Complete Process Manager 1.1
Detect invisible applications which are running in the background or start automatically. Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003 Server

Download now

At download.com
Process Manager 1
Check your system's performance and manage the running processes. Read editor's review...

CNET review:
3 star rating
09/19/2005 3,931

Download icon Download Now
Manage various processes run by your computer. Read editor's review...

CNET review:
3 star rating
03/31/2005 1,974

arrow Buy now
Detect invisible applications which are running in the background or start automatically.

Both searches were for process manager.
You may not have looked far down enough at cnet - it was towards the bottom of the page.

#10 sidhil

sidhil

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:16 AM

It sounds to me like you want a miracle.

why not just use the computer to play Freecell.
That way, the shutdown startup stuff, isn't so much of a problem.

Sidhil
l

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:30 AM

Great find rubiconeye! Here's a link to the author's page: http://www.kensalter.com/fsautostart/

EDIT: I thought it looked familiar to me! After a quick read, it appears to be a hardware profile manager. I do this with my laptop to boot to different configurations for wireless, wired, and no network connection.

To do this on your system, set the system up for the profile that you want (stopping the services, etc) and then save it as a hardware profile with a special name (Hardware tab in the System applet of Control Panel).

Then, on boot, you'll be able to select the profile that you want.

Edited by usasma, 24 September 2006 - 09:34 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:08 PM

Thanks everyone. Just what I wanted. Didn't realise they had upgraded my old version of FS AutoStart to handle other programs. Even my old link to the download came up as unfound. Will download it right now and give it a try, thanks again.

#13 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:40 PM

It sounds to me like you want a miracle.

why not just use the computer to play Freecell.
That way, the shutdown startup stuff, isn't so much of a problem.

Sidhil
l

Yes, I guess your right about wanting a miracle. I want my computer to run perfectly all the time without all the hassle of manually defragging and all the other things you need to do. So I go for programs that do it all for me automatically. Only trouble is, that means having lots of little programs running in the background. So when using programs that need a lot of resources, what could be better than having a program that turns all the other little programs on and off automatically. I don't mind the odd game of Freecell, but the grandchildren think it's boring and want all the latest fast moving games. Some so demanding that they will not even run without shutting everything down that can be shut down. You should try AutoStart sometime, in a way it is a miracle.

#14 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:23 PM

At cnet:
Process Manager 1
Check your system's performance and manage the running processes. Windows 2000/XP/2003 Server

Download now
Manage various processes run by your computer. Windows Me/NT/2000/XP/2003 Server

Download now
Detect invisible applications which are running in the background or start automatically. Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003 Server

Download now

At download.com
Process Manager 1
Check your system's performance and manage the running processes. Read editor's review...

CNET review:
3 star rating
09/19/2005 3,931

Manage various processes run by your computer. Read editor's review...

CNET review:
3 star rating
03/31/2005 1,974

arrow Buy now
Detect invisible applications which are running in the background or start automatically.

Both searches were for process manager.
You may not have looked far down enough at cnet - it was towards the bottom of the page.

Did you happen to notice how your search results were the same at both sites? That's because they are the same.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:00 AM

FWIW - try the old link again. I think that the site was down for a while - because I couldn't get to it either. I tried again yesterday and it worked then.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users