Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drag and Drop not working (escape fix doesn't help)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Murrrmaiyd

Murrrmaiyd

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:50 PM

Ok, out of the blue my computer won't drag and drop anymore.  I have searched for a solution in multiple places, but all I can find is the "press and hold the left mouse button and hit escape" or right mouse button or in one case hit escape and control and then release and this doesn't work for me.  I've tried it repeatedly both right clicking and left clicking and no luck. 

I can drag a window around my screen with no problems.  I can press and drag to select a block of text for copy/paste with no problems. I can NOT drag a file or folder or even a desktop icon, either within a window or from one window to another. It will select, but not drag.  Also, those headings at the top of a window that denote columns of info (name, date modified, type, etc) where you can put the pointer on the line that separates them to drag the right side over to make a section bigger - it won't drag those over anymore either now.

I have run sfc /scannow and it found no problems.  I have run various antivirus and anti malware programs and also found nothing. The computer has been rebooted many times since this problem started, so that didn't help either.  :)  I have checked in the registry and the Drag height and width are still set to the default 4.  I'm out of ideas!  Does anybody have any idea how to fix this problem?  I use drag and drop extensively, so this is being a major pain in the behind!  :)

Mur

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:26 AM

Have you tried hitting the Esc key twice quickly to restore drag and drop function?

#3 Murrrmaiyd

Murrrmaiyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

Once, twice, and multiple times, no luck...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

If you create a new user account can you drag and drop? 

#5 Murrrmaiyd

Murrrmaiyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:13 PM

Oh!  I hope this means progress...lol... it DOES, in fact, drag files and folders on my backup/guest user account!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,668 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:09 PM

It looks like you will need to create a new user account and transfer your data files to the new account. Be sure to backup your browser bookmarks and any email if you use an email client and not webmail. Once you are sure all your files have been transferred to the new account and you see no problems then you can delete the corrupted user account.

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,187 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:44 AM

What is the make and model of the afflicted computer?

Would you be interested in seeing if the problem is an afflicted Explorer Shell Extension?

If you want to pursue moving your stuff to a new user account it might help to know HOW to do that.

This should get you started:

If your user profile is corrupted and fails repeatedly to login, you cannot fix or salvage it - you must create a new Windows user account and copy most (not all) of the files from your corrupted profile to the new user account and then use that new account from now on.

Microsoft has an article that tells you how to do that:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile

The problem is likely that one of these files in the afflicted user profile is corrupted so don't copy these to the new user account:

• Ntuser.dat
  • Ntuser.dat.log
  • Ntuser.ini

One of those files has the corruption in it so you don't want to bring those corrupted files (or any that look like it) into the new user account you have created.

For example you would NOT want to copy files that looks like these from the corrupted profile into the new profile:

[attachment=199728:Untitled.jpg]

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users