Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install 64bit OS on pc that came with 32bit?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:44 PM

Can I Install 64bit OS on pc that came with 32bit?  Just got a new handmedown, and it came with 32bit Windows 7 Pro, and that is what is on the Product Key Sticker on the Laptop.  But I obviously want 64bit on there if possible.  I don't even know the implications of running 32bit on Windows 7 at this point, need to google it!  I know that Chrome and IE will not even open up.  Tried to Update Chrome but it failed.  Updates have not been done since 2014 so IE won't run either.  So before I waste time with all those updates etc. I would like to know if it is legal or possible to install 64bit with this License?  I have a Retail 64bit Pro Disk to use.

Thanks, pcpunk

Edited by hamluis, 17 November 2017 - 09:50 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:26 PM

Okay, I got it guys!

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/is-a-windows-7-license-key-valid-for-both-32-bit/70d546cd-b6e3-44d8-a6c8-fd7feb7d1915

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:01 AM

https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/226504-promotional-win-7-ultimate-not-resale.html

Louis

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

I don't see what that thread has to do with anything I asked about Louis?  I have a legit Key, just want to change the bit type.  I see now that many have done this and it works fine.  Lot's of naysayers saying it won't work, clearly they have not tried it I guess.  Anything is possible, but I don't see why it would not work.  If I can find more RAM for this thing I will move forward and post back.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:01 AM

Yes its possible, depending on the processor that is.

Though yeah i am unsure if the licence will be valid between the two, Microsocoft is very screwy that way.

Edited by MadmanRB, 12 November 2017 - 11:02 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

If the processor is 32-bit, you can only run a 32-bit OS on it.

As for the license key, as long as the key is legit you can use it to install either 32-bit or 64-bit.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:57 PM

My preference is if you do not have over 3GB of RAM or do not intend to increase the amount past 3GB then stick with 32bit. If you plan on running any 16bit programs then don't upgrade to 64bit.

You can easily determine if you have a 64bit processor with GRCs program. I would have to think your processor is 64bit. 

https://www.grc.com/securable.htm

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:46 PM

Very Very Sorry guys, I left out a Key Piece of information, it is a 64bit Processor, first thing I checked of course...Doh!

What about Browsers, or any other reason to run 64bit?

As I've always read, 64bit is better for Security, I assume it is to take advantage of the Software, Apps etc that are written in 64bit.  And now the trend is browsers going to 64bit.  Hmm, will have to look around and at the specs of this pc to see if I have any RAM laying around that will work.  Now it only has 3GB as one would imagine on an untampered 32bit Windows 7 Pro.

What about Speed, isn't 64bit a little faster also?

This laptop may be good for my Backpack, as of now...have my good 17" in there.  It is heavy, and it may get damaged being in there, so I hope this one will be better, lighter, and it looks like the battery is working.  

Thanks so much for the help

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:36 AM

pcpunk, you have two options, depending on how much RAM you have installed, any on hand available to upgrade or willing to purchase, and it's max allowed :)

Since you've provided no Speccy snapshot, we don't know what hardware you have other than a being a 'hand me down' (I also just got two extra) & a COA with W7 Pro. If you could provide that, we could further advise. Note that if Intel, even the 1st gen 'i' series can take up to 8GB RAM in two 4GB modules, AMD computers am not quite as familiar with, yet can lookup. Had you posted the model and/or a Speccy snapshot in your OP, that would had helped tremendously. 

Getting to your point, yes you can install Windows 7 Pro 64 bit using retail media. Just need to modify the ISO to create an AIO install media by the deletion of the ei.cfg file that'll unlock all versions (Starter through Ultimate), although you must select the proper one during install & input your COA when prompted. That's what I use for all clean Windows 7 SP1 installs, using Rufus once the ei.cfg file is removed. The main thing is having an AIO ISO for Windows 7 SP1 installs, you're good to go, as long as the proper COA is affixed to the computer.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/windows_7/custom_w7_installation_dvd.htm

You may also want to double check the OEM COA by using this free utility and make note of it, registration shows, although not required for download. :)

http://neosmart.net/OemKey/

I've performed many clean installs from 32 to 64 bit Windows 7/Vista, for myself, as well as for others. The last one of mine performed was the Dell Optiplex 780 DT edition purchased in 2015, the one with the Intel Core2Quad 9650, came with a Refurshiher's COA, once I noticed it was 32 bit, clean installed with the 64 bit media, activation no problem, didn't even need to call. In fact, it's been that way for most all of the computers I upgraded to 64 bit. back in the days of 2009 when many were asking 'should I go with 32 or 64?' bit or vise versa. Note that 4GB RAM was the 'sweet spot' then, today that's doubled to 8GB bare minimum and no longer a relevant question, except for the many still running these and may wish to consider 64 bit. Even if 4GB RAM is the max, having a 32 bit OS installed is leaving .75GB on the table unused, after any that the hardware needs for GPU, audio, etc, that often leaves only 2.75 to 3GB for OS usage. With the 64 bit OS, you'll have all available other than what the hardware requires, plus a bump in performance & especially security. :)

However, note that it's important to have SP1 in the media, and once installed, have the pseudo SP2 plus the small required update required beforehand & then install both. That'll save a ton of updates needed, and will help the rest to install. Here's the two you need to install, in this order. 

Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64

https://www.microsoft.com/en-my/download/details.aspx?id=46817&751be11f-ede8-5a0c-058c-2ee190a24fa6=True

windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64_2dafb1d203c8964239af3048b5dd4b1264cd93b9 (3rd download option in link below). 

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=kb3125574

Once applied, that should get the updates rolling. There are no differences between the 32 & 64 bit COA's, other than Starter (normally 32 bit), and Home Basic is available only in developing nations (although oddly, the US should be considered as one :P). Microsoft had a prime chance to get XP users whose hardware wasn't Aero capable onto a secure OS for $29-39, which would had been reasonable, since Home Premium was a $49 upgrade & Pro $99, both of the latter were pre-sales three months before launch. 

Finally, yes the 64 bit OS is more secure than 32 bit, why I find it odd that OEM would install the latter. Only a 64 bit OS can take advantage of any security enhancements of these CPU's, and yes you can install & run 64 bit browsers also. It's all I run (Google Chrome, Firefox ESR & Vivaldi), other than on one last 14 year old 32 bit notebook that rarely sees action any longer, may donate to the local Hospice store, unless someone in need comes along. :)

If by chance, you do need to call the activation center, the key word to say to first question is 'one', you can activate w/out speaking to anyone, provided your COA is legit. I've had to reactivate this way because have triggered the limit (usually 5) and/or have had several hardware changes over a short span (GPU, RAM, HDD to SSD), too many changes will trigger phone activation, I'll then take a snapshot of the activation window (the numbers I entered) for if needed again. 

Good Luck with the 64 bit install & in your next post, please provide specs so that we may better serve you. You should know this by now! :P

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:44 AM

It has this processor: Intel Core i3-2310M

HP Probook 4530s

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:29 AM

pcpunk, that's a Sandy Bridge CPU in there, among the most coveted today, there's still many whom won't give up their soldered IHS on die for (roughly) 10% more raw power. Plus no need to be concerned about a future delid, which most all Ivy Bridge & future gen models will need at some point, it's not a matter of if, rather when the procedure will become needed. Due to more heat, likely sooner on notebooks as a whole. That's why I clean & dust often, no less than once yearly on notebooks, to include a fresh application of thermal paste. Because you have a better manufactured CPU than those of today on the Intel side, you can clean w/out reapplying thermal paste every time. maybe every two years. :)

Plus can be upgraded to an i5 or i7, that is, if you can afford inflated pricing on eBay. If there's any computer you have with a SSD installed & want it in the best model, this is it! :thumbsup:

Max out the RAM at 8GB & be done with it (& hopefully the CPU later), you're on the way to some high powered 64 bit computing. :)

https://ark.intel.com/products/52220/Intel-Core-i3-2310M-Processor-3M-Cache-2_10-GHz

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-2310M-Notebook-Processor.45318.0.html

Check out the volatile pricing for your CPU in this year alone, has broken the $175 mark three times this year (likely eBay/Amazon pricing), probably more than when new! :)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-2310M+%40+2.10GHz

Chances were, the 32 bit OS was installed for a specific reason (custom order), maybe the original owner(s) needed it when moving forward from XP Pro, and there were no 64 bit equivalent software choices to meet the need (why Windows XP Mode was offered to Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Enterprise users). You really have two OS's in one if needed & this still remains available today, however I'd not want XP Mode nearing the close of 2017, although until SP1 was released in 2011, did use for important things, like filing tax returns. That was when the old rule of waiting until the first SP shipped before considering the OS as 'ready for serious use'. To some extent, this remains the case today, on Day One of the W10 Fall Creator's Update, many had issues with the Start Menu not working right, I had two to do so, one was AMD, the other Intel, so the only one to point the finger at was Microsoft, it was their upgrade. Oddly, on the AMD PC, had been running the Previews for months with only one small issue, this has left a very bad taste in my mouth towards W10. I'd not advise you to give the a shot, even if you can, unless after first imaging of the drive for a fast rollback, take the leap & sign into your Microsoft Account (Outlook or Hotmail), and then image again. 

This would preserve future rights to later apply the backup image & upgrade to the latest version, if desired. :)

To a much lesser extent, the need for 32 bit OS's are still the case today, W2K still powers a lot a diesel rebuilding operations (machinery), why would a profitable business dispose of tens of millions of dollars of equipment over a $200 OS? While the main office are likely powered by modern computers, there's still lots of equipment in factories powered & monitored (offline) with 32 bit OS's, a few of which may require 16 bit software, which is impossible on a 64 bit OS.

Back to your OS, no need to worry, Windows 7 still have a solid lead over Windows 10 at this time, oddly around this same time in the life of Windows 7 (SP1), usage had long surpassed that of XP & Microsoft then started with the warnings of staying on XP as being 'dangerous'. This shows that many stood behind their 'No' when Microsoft tried every possible way to sneak it (W10) in & may continue to well beyond EOL in 2020. It could be that unofficial EOL for both W7 & 8.1 will happen at the same time in early 2023, because like XP, it's going to be hard for 3rd party offerings to turn away even as little as 25% user share away. 

Furthermore, I don't see any issue with clean installing the 64 bit OS with your media, provided the ei.cfg file is removed & you select Windows 7 Pro & use the proper COA at time of install. Not only does it unlock all versions from the Retail media (Starter to Ultimate), also OEM, System Refurbisher, Upgrade. Many field technicians has carried this around for years, there was also a pre-SP1 version of the media, as well as a combined 32 & 64 bit ISO (requires more work for the Home user to create). This saves time, to have all possible versions (other than Enterprise) on one DVD and USB Flash drive, where time equals cash, for every 10 minutes saved on a job, that'll allow to get another in before the end of day. 

At any rate, you now have a contender notebook, provided it's in good shape. Before you get rid of the current OS, please be sure to image the current install first, or remove & save the current drive (use another) until you're sure that the 64 bit install is installed, activated, updated & imaged. Some apps may also require validation of OS, although haven't seen this in quite some time. Also, if you wish to use a SSD, better a clean install than a clone later, which normally should setup the drive & registry keys as should be. If cloning, these settings needs to be manually performed, or performance, as well as active TRIM & Active Garbage Collection won't do it's job as intended. Why most who prefers SSD's goes with a clean install and then images as soon as updated. Although before any 3rd party software installed, such a CCleaner, Speccy, etc, (this provides for a 'fresh install' when needed) & in the case of this notebook, looks to be the best posted that you currently own. :thumbsup:

Take care of it & should meet your needs for years to come, even more so when the Sandy Bridge mobile i5/i7's drops in price. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:37 AM

You recent post has got me excited about this new build cat, really, I'm tickled to death with all that info you provided.  Most of what I do at work doesn't involve upgrades, so I will learn more from you every year about this.  Don't have lot's of time now but soon will reply further.  I already found 8GB RAM Set that will be perfect, and actually an upgrade, though don't know if the computer will use all of it's Speed, will report later.

I also have an i5 from another old broken W7 laptop that may fit right in as they seem to be of the same era, I'll need to look it up.

Won't bother with W10 on this one cat, already have that on two others.

If there's any computer you have with a SSD installed & want it in the best model, this is it!  :thumbsup:

Now this is a little surprising to me.  This will be faster than any of the AMD Machine I have.  Won't buy another SSD right now because have other pressing financial stuff going on.  I did notice that the HDD is only SATA-II, so we'll need to deal with that at some point lol.

I'll say again, this is going to be perfect for my Backpack.  I've had my nice 17" in there, so it's heavier, and don't want to damage it.  This one not as worried about.  And, checked the Battery last night, it was good for at least Three hours of non battery savings mode, maybe more.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 ChirunoIceFairy

ChirunoIceFairy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:39 AM

If it came with 32bit then it's more than likely it came with under 4 GB of RAM, and 64 bit is only really necessary for 4 GB RAM and over.

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:00 AM

If it came with 32bit then it's more than likely it came with under 4 GB of RAM, and 64 bit is only really necessary for 4 GB RAM and over.

That's (likely) no issue with the OP, he works on computers (as I do) & am sure that there'll be more than 4GB installed in the near future. My MSI FX603 shipped with an odd mixture of 6GB, one 2GB & one 4GB module, yet were a matched set by the same OEM. I simply upgraded to the max of 8GB just because on Black Friday 2011, Newegg had an 8GB GSkill set for $29.99 shipped & could feel the difference, especially when I had XP Mode running. :)

Plus, with 4GB RAM & a 32 bit OS, there's .75GB left on the table totally unused, can only access 3.25GB total, and any needed for hardware (video & audio) must come out of that, so could leave as little as 2.75GB for the OS. With a 64 bit Windows 7, even after what's needed for the hardware, there would be around 3.5GB for the OS. Leaving three-fourths of a GB of RAM not put to use in a computer (doesn't apply to Linux) is not a good idea, especially at 4GB. 

Back in 2009, I purchased a 64 bit Windows 7 HP MS214 AIO PC, which shipped with only 2GB DDR2 RAM, although I'd later max that out at 4GB & could fell a real world difference. Upgraded to Windows 8 Pro w/Media Center for $15 on the night of the launch, while the normal price was $40 (of which I'd purchase another), I had recently purchased a notebook for my granddaughter, which allowed me to have the promo price. While that PC is dead today, the 500GB WD RE4 HDD still lives on to this day! :thumbsup:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LLMfcy7akDpnaEfOj6l8NJr

Also losing out on the security features of a 64 bit CPU, which can only be accessed with a 64 bit OS, and in this day & age of the Malware landscape, cannot be overlooked. Finally, as time passes, many 32 bit apps will be dropped, as it'll no longer be profitable to keep these up for a fraction of the total computer owners out there & will be forced to upgrade. So now's a good time, rather to wait and see these dropped first, plus having more of a chance of infection. While the CPU doesn't obviously block every possible infection, does catches some, otherwise the OEM's, plus Microsoft wouldn't be saying that the 64 bit CPU, combined with OS, is more secure.

I already found 8GB RAM Set that will be perfect, and actually an upgrade, though don't know if the computer will use all of it's Speed, will report later.

pcpunk, you're probably right, the 8GB RAM may not use the full speed (as in MHz) of the set, yet still 8GB RAM is better than 4GB, which will also likely be running at the same speed. It's a chipset limitation of the MB that you cannot change, one of my 1st gen notebooks has a 8GB DDR3-1600MHz (800MHz per module) set installed, but only runs at around 533Mhz, all because of the chipset (same with both of my Core2Quad PC's). The general rule of thumb being, more RAM is better than faster, when there's no choice like with a self build PC consisting of modern components. In the case of the latter, the same spec 8GB desktop set can be overclocked to run faster than stock (usually the next level up) via Intel XMP or whatever app that's offered in the UEFI, as long as there's heatsinks installed to handle the extra heat generated. 

You'll do fine with 8GB RAM installed on your current hardware and a 64 bit OS, a lot more so over 4GB or less. :thumbsup:

Cat

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

This is the 1GB Chip that is in it now:

3.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Type DDR3
Size 1024 MBytes
Manufacturer Nanya Technology
Max Bandwidth PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
Part Number NT1GC64BH4B0PS-CG
Serial Number 2374507556
Week/year 16 / 11
==============
Then the 2GB Chip, same exact but different Manufacturer.
Type DDR3
Size 2048 MBytes
Manufacturer Kingston
Max Bandwidth PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
Part Number HP594908-HR1-ELFE
Serial Number 2133104842
Week/year 16 / 11
NOTE: It looks like these are CL9 and the ones below are CL11
==============
This is what I have in the  8GB Set
2RX8GB PC3-12800S-11-11-F3 :RELATED TO QUESTION BELOW.
HMT351S6CFR8C PB NO AA
file:///I:/HP%20Probook%204530s/RAM%20Research/HMT351S6CFR8C%20hynix%20ddr3/ds_2Gb_DDR3(C-ver)based_SODIMMs(Rev.1.0).pdf

So if I understand correctly, this laptop will not take full advantage of the RAM because it is CL11? not that it matters because this is what I have and will be a super improvement.  

I also have a 4GB Set of this Samsung Brand that I could use if more appropriate:
m471b5773chs-ch9
H9: DDR3-1333 (667MHz @ CL=9, tRCD=9, tRP=9)

I have to say, there are many different types of RAM! and they don't seem to all provide the same standard of Specs.  For instance, how would I know the MHz of the 2RX8GB PC3-12800S-11-11-F3 :RELATED TO SPECS ABOVE?

Thanks to all!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users