Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

30 amp circus breaker safe for computers?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Look_out

Look_out

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:45 PM

I just had a quick question. I moved into a new place and noticed we have a 30 amp circuit breaker is that safe to power a computer and monitor on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:27 PM

By itself it is more than adequate to run a computer and monitor on but it also depends on what else is on that circuit.

I live in the UK where the supply voltage is nominally 240V AC, if you live in the Americas then your supply voltage is, I believe, 110V AC. Since Watts (power) = Amps x Volts you will see that the amperage rating by itself is not sufficient information. But to give you some further idea my household control board has one main circuit breaker on the supply line rated at 80A 240V. Then there is a high power internal breaker rated at 40A 240V for the cooker socket; one power ring at 32A 240V which I believe has the shower on it; then the various lighting and wall socket circuits are all controlled by 16A 240V breakers.

It is also influenced by the size of your accomodation. We live in a fairly small house and the above supply is more than adequate for our needs. If you live in a large house, say six rooms or  more, then I would not think 30A - especially if at 110V - would be enough. If you are living in a bed-sit or a small flat (apartment) then it probably is adequate.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Look_out

Look_out
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:27 AM

The computer and monitor pretty much have it all to themselves. Thanks for the response.

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,049 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:54 AM

Your computer and anything else will only draw the necessary amount of power needed to power them and no more from where they are connected.

The 30 amp circuit breaker is there to protect against a maximum over current fault so you are good to go with more than enough power at hand.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

As The-Toolman said the circuit breaker is there for protection.  With 30 amps you could have a more powerful computer connected.

The only concern would be if the wiring is rated for 30 amps of current.  According to the link the wire should be #10.  With a higher amp circuit breaker you would be "allowed" to draw more power then the wiring could handle, and that could lead to a series of unfortunate events.

Edited by Kilroy, 13 November 2017 - 02:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users