Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi connected but no internet only in one room

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nugget7189

Nugget7189

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:50 PM

I'm having a very similar issue to: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/527109/my-internet-wont-connect-in-only-one-room/

We have been in a hotel for several days with no issues. This evening none of our devices (iOS, Android, Windows) would connect to the internet. They are all connected to the WiFi and the signal is great (pinged to confirm) but no internet access.

But when we go 100 feet to a communal room (or to any other part of the hotel it seems) the devices have internet access. It is only once we get to our room that the issue pops up.

The staff have reset all of the access points (smaller but 7 story hotel) and gave us a range extender. But similar to the other topic, signal to the router doesn't seem to be the issue.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nugget7189

Nugget7189
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:47 PM

Update: I downloaded WiFi Analyzer for my phone and it is indeed access point specific. Once I move to any other part of the hotel another (and functioning) router will get picked up.

They're probably just going to move us tomorrow, but what could be causing this? Bad cabling? They have been doing construction on a part fairly close to us.

Edited by Nugget7189, 12 November 2017 - 02:48 PM.

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:49 PM

Given that you can connect when you relocated, and because you have no real control over the WiFi access points and settings, there really isn't much you can to to correct this.

Is there an Ethernet port in the room? Do you have an Ethernet cable?

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

Given that you can connect when you relocated, and because you have no real control over the WiFi access points and settings, there really isn't much you can to to correct this.

Is there an Ethernet port in the room? Do you have an Ethernet cable?

#5 Nugget7189

Nugget7189
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:59 PM

No to Ethernet port unfortunately

#6 moxom

moxom

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:14 AM

There are a lot of problems that could cause this.. faulty cable, faulty AP, incorrectly configured switch port for this AP.. Hope you get moved around :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users