Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Properly Wipe USB with MiniTool Partition Editor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:09 PM

I had a USB with a Recovery Drive for a dead pc.  I wanted to Wipe the USB and thought I would do it with MTPEditor because it is a bootable drive and thought it may be difficult in Windows Disk Management.  Now it is asking me "Create As" Primary is the first choice, the problem is, I forgot how these things are set as.  I guess I could stop it and put another usb in computer to look.

What should it be set as Primary or Logical?

Thanks, pc

Edited by hamluis, 03 December 2017 - 03:17 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:45 PM

Partition it as Primary. You can either format it as FAT32 or NTFS. I never had an issue with NTFS on flash drives and if you intend to copy files more than 4GB in size you need NTFS. NTFS causes more writes to the flash drive which does decrease it's life to a certain extent.

https://www.howtogeek.com/177529/htg-explains-why-are-removable-drives-still-using-fat32-instead-of-ntfs/

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 November 2017 - 07:47 PM.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:48 PM

Thanks John, Primary it is!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's