Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does it matter which node the posi & neg wires connect to on power jack?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

Power jack hole on this Asus laptop has two nodes to solder the posi and neg wire to, so does it matter which node the neg wire goes to and which node the posi wire goes to? 

I don't think so, but I thought more about it, and I better check just in case.

Edited by F-1DeskLamp, 11 November 2017 - 03:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:26 PM

There.  Shorter post.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:33 PM

Yes it does. It depends on what the polarity is on the power brick. If the polarity on the power brick has + on the tip you don't want to connect the negative wire of the motherboard power jack to the tip, you want positive.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/33968/how-to-tell-polarity-expected-of-a-dc-barrel-jack

#4 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

Thanks.  Well, none of that was on there.  

I wound up connecting it and trying it, and it works.  So I assume that the polarity does not matter on there, thus no markings, or I hit it right on the first try.  

I definitely will take more precaution next round.  I'm not sure that this required any "precaution" in the first place though.  

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

If you mean there was no markings on the power brick then you could find the polarity of the connector with a multimeter. 

#6 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:51 PM

Sorry, how do I do that?  

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:22 PM

https://www.atbatt.com/laptop-chargers/how-to-test-laptop-adapter

If the probes are reversed in the last image on the connector you would read a negative voltage. This would tell you if the center or outside barrel was positive or negative.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:50 PM

This sounds like it is an AC output, which has no polarity.  Check the adapter itself for the voltage rating, it should indicate whether it is AC or DC with the two flat lines for DC and  a line and a sine wave for AC.

#9 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:10 PM

The power brick says it is an A/C adapter.  It has a wavy line for the input, and it has a straight line and a broken like underneath of the straight line for the output.  Output being what is flowing to the laptop after the power conversion.

That broken line under the straight line is like - - -

#10 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:16 AM

"Wavy line for the input" - that indicates AC input

"straight line and a broken line underneath the straight line for the output" - tells you that you have a DC output

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:58 AM

I wound up connecting it and trying it, and it works... I hit it right on the first try.

Correct. You had a 50/50 chance between success and failure probably damaging something. You had good luck.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,012 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

Most power supplies also have a polarity marking on them in close proximity to the input and output ratings information.  The one on mine is so small that scanning it made no sense, but here's my quick hand drawing of the thing:

Attached File  Power_Supply_Polarity_Marking.jpg   38.19KB   0 downloads

This indicates that for this power supply the center contact is the positive contact and the outside contact is the negative contact.

I have yet to see a laptop (or similar) power supply that isn't AC input and DC output, so the correct polarity is critical.

Edited by britechguy, 12 November 2017 - 10:34 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users