Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

c0000218 Blue Screen Error (2000 Pro): Finishing The Job Microsoft Could Not

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dreidrag790

dreidrag790

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:12 PM

Hello, Bleeping Computer! First-time poster here :-)

I've been working in the past year (and then some) to fix a c0000218 error that struck my desktop years ago; I went straight to the source, Microsoft Answers, for help, and got further than I ever did before, but for whatever reason, the users on Microsoft Answers stopped responding to my assorted posts on that and other matters. I'm stuck on one phase of the repair process, but without any help from the Microsoft Community over the last several months, I'm just gonna give someone else a chance.

That means you guys.

Rather than go through the tedious explanation of my progress up to where I got stuck on this new forum, I'm just going to share the Microsoft Answers topic here, and from there, you can see all relevant updates and screengrabs on the progress I've made. Since no one on that forum seems to want to help me out anymore, maybe someone here can give me the guidance I need. Just click on the link below, and it will tell you everything you'll need to know.

Microsoft Answers: c0000218 Blue Screen Error (2000 Pro)

Microsoft Answers (truthfully, more me than them) did most of the heavy lifting for you, so feel free to finish the job that Microsoft Answers could not.

Thanks in advance for any of your replies!

:-)

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 18 November 2017 - 04:39 PM.
Moved to Windows crashes, BSODs, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dreidrag790

dreidrag790
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted Yesterday, 04:08 PM

Well...maybe some explanation is necessary. I'll copy-and-paste one of my last major updates on the Microsoft Answers topic onto this forum to give you guys a better grip on the issue. To see the whole topic, and all the messages that preceded and followed it, click the link provided in the original message.

OK...here's where I stand so far:

After getting ahold of the CD-ROM for Windows 2000 Professional over the summer, I successfully carried out a parallel installation of the software onto the affected computer. The image below shows the program folder for the original installation, "WINNT," which became damaged years ago and will not successfully boot on startup:

{SCREENGRAB}

Meanwhile, the following image shows the program folder for the new version of the software, which is named "BKUP," or backup.

{SCREENGRAB}

Now, according to the blue-screen error message posted in the original message, the cause of the error is apparently the SOFTWARE file in the config folder, and as suggested by the link given to me by SpiritX MS MVP, I would have to overwrite the damaged version of this registry file with a duplicate of the new, functional version. But as I stated a couple of months ago, I hit a bit of a snag in trying to do so, as the following screenshot illustrates:

{SCREENGRAB}

So far, I haven't been able to successfully duplicate and replace the file that is causing the blue-screen error without triggering this sharing-violation message. And I'm not quite sure what I would need to do to bypass it. I've some ideas, but am not sure about any of them, since the few I have tried didn't work.

For your consideration, SpiritX's link that got me this far can be found by clicking here. I've include several other links and screengrabs that have helped chart my progress so far, so feel free to look back on earlier messages. The computer had been unusable for the past seven years plus, so a little more waiting couldn't hurt, but I wouldn't mind a little bit more assistance in finishing this bedeviling job and get it over with that much quicker. I'm pretty close, but I need a bit more help.

Don't be scared -- reply soon.

Obviously, I never got a reply over there, which brought me here. My last message on the topic thus far was on November 4th, about three weeks ago now. Again, the link in the original message will take you to the full topic. Assorted screengrabs, which can't be posted here directly from the topic and were marked with "{SCREENGRAB}" in their place above, are also found there to illustrate the issue.

Hope I'll hear from one of you guys pretty soon.

- dreidrag790

:alien:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users