Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KB4023057? Login and boot delay?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ajg617

ajg617

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

I know MS says this is legit, but I received notification for windows security update on my Toshiba P55t-A118 touch screen which originally came with Win 8.1 and is currently running build 1607 of Win 10 pro.  Boot up/login performance has been terrible since this update with 100% disk usage and no response so that I tried to bring up task manager and received "Preparing Security Options" prior to task manager appearing and being in a state of not-reponding. That now occurs every time I start or re-start the machine. 100% usage drops after about 20 seconds but still spikes under normal browsing.

I decided to uninstall that update but when I looked in the update history, it was not there.  Instead I find it under installed programs which I thought was unusual.  Anyone else had performance degraded after this update?

Am now doing a system restore prior to that update.

Thanks,

AJG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 25techsupport

25techsupport

• Banned Spammer
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:29 PM

Just do a system restore and you are good to go

#3 ajg617

ajg617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

Just do a system restore and you are good to go

Done.  Marginally better.  Wondering if 3 yr old HDD is starting to pack it in.  I ran chkdsk and it took hours - then restored and of course the event entries are gone.

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

Hi, had some discussions about this KB appears only certain machines received it, from MS insiders it may be to do with a third party AV (do you have, or ever had, a AV other then defender on your computer)? Please let us know what it was.This is a link explaining more about it.. sorry we are still trying to get more info regarding this KB. I suspect you will get this back in another update.

https://borncity.com/win/2017/11/05/windows-what-is-remsh-exe-for/

#5 ajg617

ajg617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

Toshiba bloatware included Norton which I never installed.  Have only run Webroot and Malwarebytes (downloaded free but somehow received the premium trial which I did not want).   Interesting remsh.exe was in Program Files\rempl folder which was coincidentally created on 11/8/2017 and the date I upated KB4023057 - probably very close to the time though I can't confirm since I restored to a time prior.  I caught remsh in Task Manager with high CPU and 100% HDD and had never seen it before. 

Note - remsh.exe did exist in the Program Files\rempl folder prior to rollback.  Now the only files in that sub-folder are a dozen or so remediation***.etl log files the latest one created prior to rollback.  They are all either 128KB or 192KB and only from Nov 10th and 11th.

Full disclosure, I did have malware or junkware on the machine at two points (see links below) and ran a number of utilities.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/598429/bogus-firefox-security-warning-scanning-computer/?hl=+ajg617

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/606638/windows-file-name-warning-pop-up-after-hotel-wifi-access/?hl=%2Bajg617#entry3947984

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:11 PM

Hi, well I advise all home users to only use defender and some other malware util (such as superantispyware, I believe Malwarebytes have become too aggressively commercial). You will get as good as, if not better protection and will have the benefit of an enjoyable, far less hassled computing experience, it is the smart choice.

I would google for the developers uninstall util for all previous security utils you may have had, and run them. It's your computer so the decision is ultimately up to you.

#7 ajg617

ajg617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:23 PM

I did not like Malwarebytes pushing the trial version on me - it did not do so on my Win 7 desktop.  Have run all developer uninstalls for utils run prior and manually scrubbed from registry.  Looking at the timestamps, all the ETL files were DCOM 10016 errors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users