Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Desktop for Linux Mint

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:24 AM

Hello everyone!

Been awhile since I've been hanging out here. Had to make a big move from the Great Commonwealth to Rocky Bennett's area.

The goal in 2018 was to try to build my first desktop but like all big plans, things got pushed aside to get ready for the move.

We've also seriously downsized, so my workbench / play area is no more.

So, now it's on to simply purchasing a new desktop to replace my aging HP.

I've been running Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon (64 bit) for almost 2 years now and I'm loving it. Still lots to learn but it has been wonderful.

Currently running a 5 year old HP Desktop with a AMD A6-3650 w/ Radeon HD Graphis and 8 gigs of RAM & it's starting to show it's age.

I don't game and have reached a part in my life where I don't think it's anything I'm going to pick up.

I do some sound editing and occasional some video editing but only with footage from my phone, not professional stuff.

I'd like to find a desktop that I could do a fresh install of Mint on and take full advantage of the Internet speeds I'm paying for. My wife's laptop is ridiculously fast and I'm crabby about it. :lol:

I've got back ups and yes, I've got back ups of my back ups. Redundancy is your friend.

I'm in a good spot money-wise and feel comfortable dropping $600 - $800 if I need to.

So, ideas? My biggest concern when I starting trolling through Amazon and NewEgg was, "is this hardware Linux compatible?"

Links, ideas and/or cautionary tales are all appreciated.

Side note - even though I don't hate Windows,  :whistle:   I have considered either running Windows 10 on this machine in a VM or as a dual-boot, mostly due to the fact that I still need to have some working knowledge of the dreaded Windows environment. Anyone running Win 10 and Mint?

As always, thank you.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:59 PM

Welcome to The Land Of Enchantment. If you want some tips about this beautiful State, I might be able to send you some pointers in a PM, but as far as your main question I know somebody here with more experience will be able to give you some guidance.

Again, I certainly hope that you enjoy your move to this beautiful State. I have found it a wonderful place to live. (And don't forget the Green And Red.)

Rocky

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 ChirunoIceFairy

ChirunoIceFairy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:56 PM

Might help if you give the exact model of the computer, then I'll try to take a look for you ;)

That said, AMD usually has decent support but you might have to do a few tweaks or something, idk. I've only really had experience with intel so can't help directly from first hand experience :(

Edited by ChirunoIceFairy, 11 November 2017 - 03:57 PM.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

Intel for me!

I would like to hear what the Aliens(Big Dog Linux Users lol) think about 7th Gen Intel Processors.  I don't know how good support is for Linux on 7th Gen Intel Processors.  Not knowing I would go with Skylake, which is 6th Gen.  You can also install Windows 7 on these if that is something you are interested in, but as far as I know you cannot install Windows 7 on 7th Gen, Kabylake processors.

Here is a link to some i3 and i5, 6th Gen, Dell and HP Towers.  It's not the best selection because I'm not the best at online shopping.

I like this one pretty well, but would need to check up on the Intel 7th Gen issue? 

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/206483/Dell-Inspiron-3668-Desktop-PC-Intel/

Or the i3 with less RAM.  This may be my next tower if I save my pennies.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/742226/Dell-Inspiron-3668-Desktop-PC-Intel/

Edited by pcpunk, 11 November 2017 - 04:53 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,795 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

If building on your own pretty much anything works with linux, my custom build Ryzen 7 desktop plays nice with linux.

I even have a GTX 1060 that also works fine.

My specs are in my sig with my CPU-z tag.

If you wanted to make your own build linux is not a impossibility.

Linux is actually very good with hardware compatibility these days, only a small amount of hardware is linux unfriendly.

Edited by MadmanRB, 11 November 2017 - 06:01 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:23 AM

Welcome to The Land Of Enchantment. If you want some tips about this beautiful State, I might be able to send you some pointers in a PM, but as far as your main question I know somebody here with more experience will be able to give you some guidance.

Again, I certainly hope that you enjoy your move to this beautiful State. I have found it a wonderful place to live. (And don't forget the Green And Red.)

Rocky

Thanks!  We've actually been here before but it was long, long ago, so yeah, send along any pointers, tips or ideas you've got. We'd love to see them. Did my first ever Balloon Fiesta last month. Early morning, cold but oh-so cool. Hundreds of photos that our families are probably sick of seeing.   :lol:   Probably the only reason I've still got my Instagram account. And yes, Green & Red. We both forgot how Autumn can smell when they're roasting in the parking lots.

#7 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:50 AM

Might help if you give the exact model of the computer, then I'll try to take a look for you ;)

That said, AMD usually has decent support but you might have to do a few tweaks or something, idk. I've only really had experience with intel so can't help directly from first hand experience :(

Intel for me!

I would like to hear what the Aliens(Big Dog Linux Users lol) think about 7th Gen Intel Processors.  I don't know how good support is for Linux on 7th Gen Intel Processors.  Not knowing I would go with Skylake, which is 6th Gen.  You can also install Windows 7 on these if that is something you are interested in, but as far as I know you cannot install Windows 7 on 7th Gen, Kabylake processors.

Here is a link to some i3 and i5, 6th Gen, Dell and HP Towers.  It's not the best selection because I'm not the best at online shopping.

I like this one pretty well, but would need to check up on the Intel 7th Gen issue? 

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/206483/Dell-Inspiron-3668-Desktop-PC-Intel/

Or the i3 with less RAM.  This may be my next tower if I save my pennies.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/742226/Dell-Inspiron-3668-Desktop-PC-Intel/

Hello. Thanks for the tips & link  - I'm probably headed to an Intel chip. I know AMD has been making some good movies, esp. in the past year but I'd like to try something new.

As for the actually specs (Make/Model) of this old desktop, I couldn't figure out how to figure that out. I knew how to do it in a Windows environment  but couldn't find an easy way in Mint. Anyone have a program that would help me do that? I've been looking at I-Nex but was a little hesitant to do an intall until I posted here.

Winterland

#8 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

Linux is actually very good with hardware compatibility these days, only a small amount of hardware is linux unfriendly.

That's what I was thinking but thought I'd run it by the Forum just to make sure.

Was running through my Dream List, looking at the ridiculously over-priced (but good looking) XPS 8910 Special Edition Desktop and thinking, "Oh, how fast would Mint be on a beast like this one....?" 

I'll update when I find something that I think is a good balance of speed & money.

Thanks to everyone who checked in. I love this place.

Winterland

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,795 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

Try not to post three times in a row, its a message board not a chatroom.

There is a edit button so you know :D

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:02 PM

Try not to post three times in a row, its a message board not a chatroom.

There is a edit button so you know :D

Duly noted.  :thumbup2: 

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:32 PM

Sorry, forgot you said you wanted to Build your own? but it looks like you may just buy an OEM Build also.

I can't find any great info on the Kaby Lake thing I spoke about, but it looks like the thing is Ubuntu Certified.  Just don't know how well that support is as of now.  One link I read said that it was not up to snuff until this new Kernel came out, HERE is one decent link.

Here are a few threads here that may help you in your decision

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/650212/intel-skylakekaby-lake-processors-broken-hyper-threading-linux/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/649954/nvidia-setup/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/648503/4k-monitor-how-do-i-make-things-larger-on-linux-mint-181/

Edited by pcpunk, 12 November 2017 - 06:52 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

Was running through my Dream List, looking at the ridiculously over-priced (but good looking) XPS 8910 Special Edition Desktop and thinking, "Oh, how fast would Mint be on a beast like this one....?" 

I would say, more than you'll ever need LOL.

If it were me, I would make sure you don't get this one

I don't care for the "All In One" style Heatsink, and can't imagine why they would make it this way.  I pride myself as a backyard engineer, and I would never pay for, nor want a computer with this design.  It appears that the newer model has a more traditional design.  Unfortunately I've never worked on one of these as far as pulling it apart so can't say for sure.  A few or our customers have them, but they have not failed yet as they are quite new.

As you can see on the Dell site, it seems they have changed this recently.  I would buy one of the newer Gens like this, but I've seen the older ones on some of the common distributing sites lately.

GUID-3F99746A-5C43-412D-8459-4BE66CBD3B5

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:31 AM

As for the actually specs (Make/Model) of this old desktop, I couldn't figure out how to figure that out. I knew how to do it in a Windows environment  but couldn't find an easy way in Mint. Anyone have a program that would help me do that? I've been looking at I-Nex but was a little hesitant to do an intall until I posted here.

A popular one is inxi which comes pre-installed with Linux Mint. I-Nex is also good.

#14 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:00 PM

Winterland

Open the terminal and copy and paste the terminal command.

sudo lshw -sanitize > lshw.txt

Then enter your password and wait a few seconds you'll know when.

Close terminal and open your Home folder and you should find a new folder marked lshw txt open it and below is what you will find.

Spoiler

Edited by The-Toolman, 13 November 2017 - 04:12 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:17 PM

I wonder if this would be better.  Sorry, not in Linux ATM so can't test it.

sudo lshw -short -sanitize > lshw.txt

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users