Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad hard drive? Bad motherboard? Maybe just malware?!?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 xfreakazoidx

xfreakazoidx

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:17 PM

I'll keep it short. I have Win 7. Built a new rig last December. All parts were new, except a secondary HD thats for storage (though its only 3 years old). 

So I had this weird issue a few weeks ago where when I would start a program like photoshop, a game...etc the screen would scramble sometimes. Or the screen would freeze up (though I could see my cursor move around with no problem). I replaced my video card assuming that was it. Then I replaced my monitor, which seemed to have fixed it. 

Now I am having a even more weird issue and thinking its a Win 7/hardware issue. I can't explain this easily but pretend you took a screenshot of your screen right now (with whatever browers/programs you have open. Obviously this screenshot would take a picture of that moment in time of your screen. 

So now imagine every few hours as your doing whatever on your pc, that screenshot popped up for about 4 seconds. You can't click anything you see, but you can move your cursor just fine. Then after the 4 seconds it goes back to your current screen. Thats what is happening essentially. It keeps showing me basically my desktop as it was hours ago, like a frozen moment in time. Then it goes away. I mean this isn't freezing up anything, nothing really happens. When I watch youtube and what not, the audio still can be heard. 

Its really odd and I have never seen anything like this. I did update Windows, video drivers, monitor drivers...etc. I've scandisked and defragged my drives. I can't for the life of me figure out what else to do since I am not sure what it could be at this point. Maybe a screwed up thing in Windows/HD? Maybe the memory? A virus?

Like I said its not the end of the world but its still annoying when it happens just because you have to stop what your doing for a few seconds. As for what I did around the time all this stuff happened was nothing really. Haven't added anything new. Haven't removed anything. Though its when I did get a new screen and tried using two monitors (just for fun, don't use two now). Only thing I do sometimes is go here and delete everything (well that it lets me delete of course):

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp

Could that be it? I do not want to reformat. I consider that a very last resort option. Also this happens at random. Like maybe 2-3 a day give or take.

Here are my specs (if that helps):
-Phantom 410 (Red case)
-Intel i5 Core 6600k Unlocked (Hyper 212 EVO cooler)

-Z170X motherboard
-GeForce GTX 1060
-16gb DDR4 memory 

-CD/DVD-DL/Bluray Lightsribe writer
-650 Watt Antec Power Supply.
-x3 1TB HDs (WD's)
-Win 7 
-WoW mouse 
-Fatality Sound Card (Sound Blaster)
-Hyper X Headphones
-Dell Gaming S2716DG Monitor
-Tons of fan and ports

-----EDIT------
I just went to the APP center for my Gigabyte motherboard and whenever I select one of its apps, this screen things kicks in. Could it be the APP center is screwed up?

Edited by hamluis, 10 November 2017 - 08:32 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 25techsupport

25techsupport

• Banned Spammer
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:53 PM

Never heard about this problem but maybe you can try to create a new user account as a administrator and then try to login and see what happens and tell me them

#3 xfreakazoidx

xfreakazoidx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:39 PM

Hi. I tried a new username and the issues doesn't happen with that account. Very interesting. So is my normal account screwed up? I did do some other testing and noticed it also glitches when I resize windows (by dragging them to various sizes). 

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:28 PM

I've happened upon a few cases similar to yours and it's eventual failure of the DMA controller portion for  RAM memory (sometimes in the CPU chip, sometimes on the MOBO) gets intermittent.  The failure will do unintended things to the files written to the hard drive.  You didn't mention the CPU speed and I ask this as it was a clue to an overclocked board and pushing things just a bit too far. 

#5 xfreakazoidx

xfreakazoidx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:50 PM

I see. Hmm. Well the CPU is a Intel i5 Core 6600k Unlocked. I haven't touched any settings for it though, never was into overclocking. Unless that processor I bought it already overclocked (I don't really know much about them). 

If its the RAM on the CPU then that just means I'd replace the CPU? And if its the one on the MOBO, I just replace the MOBO itself or the actual ram plugged into it? 

---edit---
Read online the normal CPU speed for it is 3.5. But when buying it, its set to 3.9. If I turn it down will that stop the issue? Assuming I can figure out how to turn it down. 

---edit again---
I found a Intel CPU test and ran it. Everything passed, though at the GFX test that glitch appeared. However it didn't seem to affect the test. 

Edited by xfreakazoidx, 13 November 2017 - 12:31 AM.

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 955 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:59 AM

Do this:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.

For video device and driver information, expand the Components, click Display, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information back here. 

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,475 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:43 AM

Yes, that's the first thing I'd do is back the CPU of to its specs and see what happens.  Damage may have already been done.  I do suspect that the DMA chip is part of the MOBO and is usually a surface mounted device, not easily replaced unless you have access to some serious tech tools.

#8 xfreakazoidx

xfreakazoidx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:54 PM

Well through pure luck I ran across someone who said that these video cards had/dave an issue where they do this. Oh here are the two articles:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/gtx-1070-memory-issues-firmware-fix-evga-palit-gainward/
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/manufacturers-roll-out-firmware-updates-for-geforce-gtx-1070-due-to-memory-issue.html

Anyone understand how I fix it though? I Seen one person mention a BIOS update for the video card. Not sure how to do it. I do know my video card has the latest drivers. Though not sure those have anything to do with BIOS. 

As for that info from the other post:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model Z170X-Gaming 3
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F6, 3/1/2016
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 9.53 GB
Total Virtual Memory 31.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 24.9 GB
Page File Space 16.0 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C02&SUBSYS_37211458&REV_A1\4&2DB3ECDA&0&0008
Adapter Type GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Adapter RAM (1,073,741,824) bytes
Installed Drivers nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver Version 23.21.13.8813
INF File oem9.inf (Section169 section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 2560 x 1440 x 143 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xDD000000-0xDDFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xCFFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xD1FFFFFF
I/O Port 0x0000E000-0x0000E07F
IRQ Channel IRQ 16
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (23.21.13.8813, 15.99 MB (16,763,000 bytes), 11/8/2017 4:33 PM)

#9 xfreakazoidx

xfreakazoidx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:31 AM

Oddly enough I fixed it. I moved my video card to another PCI-E slot and now I no longer have the glitch. Can PCI-E slots screw up over time? Only had this motherboard under a year. 

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,475 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:58 PM

Still sounds like a bad chip on the MOBO.  The changing of the casrd slot forces the chip into a different address range unaffected by the fault.  Beware the intermittent may return.

#11 xfreakazoidx

xfreakazoidx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 12:28 AM

Well the issue came back on the other PCI-E slot. So I guess your right and I have to get a new motherboard. So frustrating. 

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted Today, 12:25 PM

...or simply add a USB controller card.

USB is not an important function that merits a new board, IMO.

And...before I ever write a motherboard off, I would do a clean install (after verifiying that the hard drive itself is not a problem-contributor).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users