Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Cartridge Retainer Recycle

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:23 PM

Wasn't sure where to put this but since it has to do with printers I'll post it here.

I've always wondered if those little ink cartridge retainers, on New Cartridges can be recycled.  They are most likely made in China so don't have the little Recycle Label on them, and I would think that means it's a no go.  Did not see anything on the Brother Site about this either, along with a google search.  I live in the USA, and as far as I know they require there be a Recycle Mark on the plastic.  I should contact my local recycle station, but they usually don't know much and probably less about this type of stuff.  You think they would know at Office Depot LOL, they look at me like I'm out of my mind when asking this question lol. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,490 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:27 PM

Best Buy recycles inkjet cartridges for free. Other items are free or have a fee.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/recycling/pcmcat149900050025.c?id=pcmcat149900050025

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,295 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

I have no answer on the small, orange covers that go over the ink sponge opening on most single color or black ink tanks.

They have never been recycle marked that I can see, either.  What I'd do is put them on the old tank that you're disposing of, and based on your question I'd presume that is with some local store that will accept them for recycling (Staples does, too, at no charge) and let them deal with it.  The recycler will recycle that plastic if it is recyclable or dispose of it otherwise.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

Google 'printer cartridge recycling' and the name of your city and state. That will get you started if you're not close to Best Buy as JohnC_21 mentioned as a location.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

some private schools here collect the cell phones and ink cartridges they have a place that pays them in bulk when they cash them in.  might see if you have schools in your area that do this.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,888 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

I have no answer on the small, orange covers that go over the ink sponge opening on most single color or black ink tanks.

They have never been recycle marked that I can see, either.  What I'd do is put them on the old tank that you're disposing of, and based on your question I'd presume that is with some local store that will accept them for recycling (Staples does, too, at no charge) and let them deal with it.  The recycler will recycle that plastic if it is recyclable or dispose of it otherwise.

Thanks guys, I think I will try Brian's suggestion, although, the little Retainers don't seem to stay on after they've been taken off due to the way they are attached during manufacturing.  Seems like such a waste, I'll need to do more research.

Yes, I do know I can recycle the Cartridges guys, and do so every month, but there has been no talk on how the Retainers are dealt with.  I'm hoping to contact someone that will give a good answer.  I would think the Manufacturer would recycle them also as they are set-up to do so.

Thanks pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,295 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:12 PM

PCPunk,

Are you using a printer that uses individual ink tanks for each color, or do you have a tricolor cartridge?

If you do have separate colors have you ever considered either refillable tanks with auto-reset chips (ARCs) or a continuous ink supply system (CISS)?  Both of these options are much cheaper in the long run, and a CISS is a great thing if you are doing lots of printing and if you can deal with the visuals that go with them (they're not the prettiest things in the world.

I've used refillable tanks with ARCs for over 10 years now and they pay for themselves, and the bulk ink you purchase for refilling them, sometimes on the first refills for at least three tanks.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,888 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

This is mostly for Printer Installs I do Brian, always end up with those Inserts and retainers from the new Printer.  I've thought of throwing them in my recycle bin, but will need to call the local collection agency to see if they will recycle them, It sure isn't posted on there website of course.  I suspect, whom ever answers the phone will need to ask their superior and call me back.  I've called them before, they don't know any more than I do most of the time lol.  I would think, because they recycle computer plastic (which has no Recycle Emblem on it) that they could do the same with the Retainers?

I don't print enough Brian to use refillable tanks with ARCs, but I was aware of that, thanks for the suggestion.  Hope I never have to print that much lol.

I just left a message at local recycle office after being Transferred because the person I talked to did not know.  I will dig a little further asap, couldn't find any definite answers on their site, but it maybe that they do recycle them, just not listed specifically.  May be able to throw in with computer parts.  Seems simple enough, but most don't care about such things.  The Brother Printers, as you all know, come with these quite elaborate Retainers, almost as big as the darn Cartridge.  Almost seems a shame to melt them down to make new ones as they are just pulled off and discarded, one time use.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users