Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Narrowed it down a bit and would be grateful for some help moving forward.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EPerd

EPerd

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:12 PM

To preface this, I'll say I decided on the following specs:

1tb+ hdd
256gb+ ssd
16gb+ ram
1+ USB 3 port
1+ USB type c port(thunderbolt preferred, but not entirely necessary)
I7-7700, i7-6700, or i7 8th gen, so long as it has the same or more cores as the former 2.

So, I found these 2 beauts.

Asus m580vd

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072C7TNBZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1510332296&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=M580vd&dpPl=1&dpID=512sYinkCrL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Lenovo Legion Y720

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/lenovo-legion-y-series-laptops/Legion-Y720-15IKB/p/88GMY700794

What is throwing me off is the fact the Legion y720 is so much more expensive (by about $350) and I don't really know why. I should have also prefaced this by saying my knowledge of computers is pretty limited lol.

I'm assuming the gpu/graphics card and/or screen is superior, but I will NOT be doing any gaming or 3d modeling. However, I am also told Lenovo' s keyboards are far superior to Asus'. As a student and writer, that is important to me.
My price point is between $500-$1100,and while the y720 is about $1350 atm, I am hoping it will drop a few hundred for cyber Monday.

So with all of that said...

1.Are there any models I should be looking at instead of these 2 that are not made by HP?

2.which of these 2 models is better for the price? ($999 Asus VS. $1350 Lenovo)

3.If the Lenovo goes down to $1000-$1150 would it then be worth getting over the Asus?

Thank you for your time and insights.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:05 PM

For starters the video card is much better and has three times the RAM, 2GB vs 6GB.

The Lenovo is an i7 and the Asus is an i5.

The Asus machine has 8GB of RAM where the Lenovo starts at 16GB.

The Lenovo is also about two pounds heavier.

This Lenovo is more comparable to the Asus

#3 EPerd

EPerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

My apologies. I shared the wrong link
This is the correct Asus model.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071ZL3996/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510346172&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=M580vd&dpPl=1&dpID=512sYinkCrL&ref=plSrch

Also, I didn't realize there were 2 types of ram on computers! What does the 2gb/6gb version represent in contrast to the 16gb?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,338 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:18 PM

EPerd,

There is system RAM, which is what you're always seeing in the spec sheets under "Memory" and in the various ads/listings where they talk generically about RAM.

Then there is dedicated RAM that's part of graphics processing units and is an integral part of them. A graphics card/graphics processing unit that has 6GB of on board RAM to play with will generally have a lot more speed than one with 2GB does simply because access to RAM is very fast and it allows throughput to be more rapid.  This generally only matters in graphics intensive applications like games and 3D rendering software, but can on rare occasion show itself in video streaming, too.  I haven't seen any computer in recent years, including most modern netbooks, that can't handle video streaming with ease.  Most burps that occur during streaming these days are a result of the network being "constipated" and the computer getting to the end of the buffered stream and having to stop and wait for the flow to resume.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:31 PM

So now you're talking a $100 difference the Lenovo still has the better video card, but now the video RAM difference is 2GB.  That's probably the main difference in the price.

A dedicated video card has RAM, here's an article to explain.  You'll only see RAM on higher end cards.  Built in video will use system RAM.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:46 PM

Any preference for screen size etc.?

I thought this looked quite a nice spec, but it's a pretty big laptop - https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideapad-17-3-inch-i7-6700HQ-Keyboard/dp/B075G1YVPX/

#7 EPerd

EPerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

Thank you so much for the info and suggestions, gents.

Kilroy - which 2 laptops have the $100 difference you're referring to? The 2 Asus models?

Britech guy-thanks for the info again. It seems I don't need to worry about that secondary ram too much after all

Jonuk-i was initially set on the y700, but the processor is older and it lacks the connectivity of the other 2.notably the USB c iirc

#8 EPerd

EPerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:40 PM

Oh. Screen size preference is 15-16 but will go a little higher or lower

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users