Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 HDD as an external drive by usb - Unallocated Space

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 viciousemu

viciousemu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:51 AM

This is one I have come across a few times and never did find a solution. When the hard drive that contains the operating system is removed from a Windows 10 machine and placed in a caddy or similar to be attached to a different computer (running Window 7), The drive will not show up in my computer. When accessing Storage in Computer Management the Windows 10 drive (now an external drive connected by USB) shows as unallocated space and no drive letter can be assigned. The only option is to Initialise the disk but then the data would be lost (without some serious time spent on recovery). My guess is that this is to do with the 'GPT' rather than MBR partitions that was originally the case with Windows Drives... This doesnt however explain why it wont mount in Linux either or Mac OS (even when using Fuse software etc). I did try changing the settings for the drive so that Fast Boot/Fast shutdown wasnt enabled beforte I removed it, hoping this would enable it to mount but no joy. Whilst I have tried all the major platforms this question is really about getting it to mount on a Windows 7 machione

Does anyone have an explanation for this or perhaps a solution?

Thanks so much in advance,

Lee

Edited by hamluis, 10 November 2017 - 11:13 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,523 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

Another possibility is Windows 10 will encrypt the disk when using a Microsoft Account to login.

https://www.howtogeek.com/234826/how-to-enable-full-disk-encryption-on-windows-10/

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:05 AM

Another possibility is Windows 10 will encrypt the disk when using a Microsoft Account to login.

https://www.howtogeek.com/234826/how-to-enable-full-disk-encryption-on-windows-10/

And the more I've read after this article the harder it is to determine when or whether encryption would be on "by default" or not.

Personally, I despise full drive encryption with a burning passion, except in circumstances where there is data sensitive enough to justify it.  One can encrypt files or folders using third party solutions if there are some things, but very few, that a user feels must be encrypted.

When encryption itself "gets hosed" in some way things get really, really ugly.   If you don't need it, I suggest making sure it's OFF.  I have Win10 Home 64-bit and nothing in Settings turns up when searching for either "encrypt" or "bitlocker," so I think that Win10 Home does not encrypt by default.  If anyone knows otherwise, please chime in.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users