Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crackly/distorted audio issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Squishy555

Squishy555

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:05 AM

Hi everyone,

This issue has been driving me absolutely insane so I'll try to explain it as clearly as possible. Occasionally, I'll hear a distorted ''popping'' sound coming from my speakers or headset (similar to the sound when you unplug an active speaker) and while it happens randomly (in games, Skype calls, youtube videos, etc) it is possible to reproduce and I found it only happens at certain frequencies. For example, when I pause/unpause this video () I hear an ear deafening pop, but when I play it continuously without pausing it is fine, except for the start and end of the video. This seems to be a recurring theme: I'll often hear a pop before and/or after a sound. When sound stops or starts abruptly, for example when pausing a video, I hear a popping sound. This causes multiple issues, for example when I pause a video game I experience the same issue.

I use 2 devices:

1) A simple bluetooth speaker connected to the front panel, 3.5mm using Realtek HD audio

2) HyperX Cloud II Headset connected to the back panel, 3.0 usb

Both devices have the SAME issue. Also, the HyperX cloud II comes with its own soundcard, so I believe it cannot be a faulty driver issue.

My specs:

Windows 8.1 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
MSI Z97 GAMING 5 (MS-7917) (SOCKET 0)
XB270HU (2560x1440@144Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (MSI)
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD)
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20PURX-64P6ZY0 (SATA)
No optical drives

Things I've tried to fix it:

1) Updates BIOS and GPU drivers
2) Removed Realtek HD audio and reverted to native driver
3) Updated Realtek drivers
4) Disabled CPU throttling
5) played around with device settings (sample rate, exclusive mode, disabled enhancements)
6) changed power plan to high performance
7) played around with both devices plugging them into different ports, only one audio stream at a time, etc

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

I think a good place to start is to eliminate the hyper soundcard and see if that cures the noise.  There maybe an interaction between the card and the onboard audio that is creating the noise.  If this is a home built unit, has it ever been right, that is without the noise??

#3 Squishy555

Squishy555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:22 PM

I think a good place to start is to eliminate the hyper soundcard and see if that cures the noise.  There maybe an interaction between the card and the onboard audio that is creating the noise.  If this is a home built unit, has it ever been right, that is without the noise??

Hi, thank you for the quick reply. I have tried only using one audio stream, so only the headset or the speaker, and both experience the same issue. As both devices use different sound cards I do not think either of them is the issue. it is indeed a home built PC, the noise has always been there. I ignored it for some time as it's not that prevalent, because as I explained, it only occurs when the ''sound switches'' (sorry for my horrible explanation). So for example when I go into the pause menu of a game: pop. I go out of the pause menu: pop. Still I would like to locate the issue so I can solve it.

Edited by Squishy555, 10 November 2017 - 12:23 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:01 PM

Interesting. Every time i paused your test track I got a 'pop' and a less noticeable one when I restarted it, but if I do the same with a WAV file playing with VLC there is a momentary 'smearing' of the sound as it pauses and a similar 'smearing' when I re-start it.

For all the world it sounds like a switching crash, that noise you can get when listening over a sound system and a switch on the same circuit is thrown. Depending on the current passing through the switch it can be quite noticeable. But this shouldn't happen in the audio processing in a computer. I would be inclined to blame an electrolytic smoothing capacitor, but which one ?  If it really is bothering you might be worth checking the mobo for any capacitors that are slighly bulged at the top, a good indication that they are failing.

Somewhere I have an audio test CD and, if I can find it, I will try ripping a fixed frequency track from it and see if I get the same symptoms you do. It's not in my computer disc collection so it is probably in with my music CDs, somewhere.

Chris Cosgrove

The woman in my life is dragging me away for the weekend coming. PMs may not be answered as quickly as usual.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:12 PM

Something that just struck me, what are the systems sound settings??  It is possible that a sound is set to indicate when different things happen, like a zoom when you expand to full screen as an example.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:17 PM

Just out of curiosity I took a minute and generated two tones using Audacity, 30 seconds of each. One at 150 Hz and one at the default setting of 440 Hz. Playing them, in Audacity, I got a faint 'pop' when I paused them and a very faint one when I started play again. I then saved it to my hard drive as a WAV file and played it through my normal sound system. An even fainter 'pop' when I paused it and nothing, or nothing my ears could detect, on hitting play again.

Could it be that this noise is just normal on your system ?

Chris Cosgrove

The woman in my life is dragging me away for the weekend coming. PMs may not be answered as quickly as usual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users