Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update KB2976978

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Moe_P

Moe_P

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:01 AM

I received this optional update and I am not sure if I need to install it , running windows 8.1 64 bit.

Attached File  KB2976978.jpg   13KB   0 downloads

Moe_P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 11,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:08 AM

Do you participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program? If not you don't need the update:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2976978/compatibility-update-for-keeping-windows-up-to-date-in-windows-8-1-and

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,788 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:28 PM

This is one of the ones I was constantly advising against back when I was able to run the windows update monitoring thread. This update was originally one which performed some tests to work out if a computer was windows 10 capable, this update also did quite a bit of telemetry reporting back to MS (unwelcome for most users). Nowadays it no longer does the windows 10 checking but still does telemetry. This update has been released over and over again, probably because ms hoped to get it onto the PCs of those who hid it's incarnations, I too saw it again in the latest round of updates. Just hide it every time it is shown and make sure updates are set to ask you before downloading.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

Thanks Platypus & rp88, will hide it.

Moe_P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users