Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Cd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 imortal

imortal

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:53 AM

hello im new and was wondering if i can install windows xp on a new harddrive without a recovery cd cuase i only have a windows xp disc that was bought froma store

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:19 AM

If what you have is a full install Windows XP CD you should be able to boot from the CD and install Windows XP.

This CD and 25 digit key must never have been used on any other computer because if it was, it will not activate with Microsoft.

If it was never used to install XP on any other computer but the computer on which you are trying to install it, it will be able to format your hard drive and install Windows XP (again - it must be a full installation Microsoft Windows XP CD with a unique 25 digit key number, NOT AN UPGRADE CD, and never before used on any other computer but the one on which you are trying to install it)

#3 imortal

imortal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:24 AM

wow thanx for the quick reply and yes the windows xp is full i have my activation number its just the im buying a brand new hardrive that has no os installed.
thank you again for your reply

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:46 AM

Some new hard drives come with software that will migrate everything on your old hard drive (if it is working) to a new hard drive, so if you have a working install of XP on your old hard drive that doesn't have any problems you might want to consider this instead of a new install with a new license.
If your hard drive didn't come with this tool it may be able to be downloaded from support at the manufacturer of the new hard drive.

And, the following may be interesting too:

How Do I partition And Format My Hard Disk Using XP Setup
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_...d_format_my.htm

How to replace a hard drive
And migrate your old drive to the new one
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...cleID=181502411

http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle...cleID=180207718

#5 imortal

imortal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:54 AM

well my hardrive sint working when i turn the pc on it says remove disk or any other media even though i dont have any disk inserted. also the harddrive doesnt work cause its not making any sounds when i boot it also has no os installed

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:18 AM

OK - Well, you said you have a new full install Windows XP CD with the license so you should not have problems installing it.

Do a full format, not a quick format when prompted and format in NTFS which is far better than Fat 32 for XP.

Good luck.

By the way, if you are going to use a Sata hard drive make sure your motherboard supports sata and has the proper connection for it or you have an expansion card for it and have the sata driver ready to install when you are prompted by the Windows installer. It should be on a cd that came with the motherboard or the sata controller expansion card - whichever applies.
Ignore the above if you are using a regular hard drive that connects to the IDE ribbon cable the old hard drive connected to as a replacement for your old hard drive.

Make sure your new hard drive's jumpers are set for "master" (or primary) which they should be by default out of the box.
Be careful to ground yourself to the computer's metal frame to discarge any static electricity before you start touching anything inside the computer.

Edited by Enthusiast, 23 September 2006 - 08:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users