Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template : PC for my 11 year old son

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 RockyMtHigh

RockyMtHigh

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:26 PM

Laptop or Desktop? Undecided, originally thought laptop, but not opposed to desktop if it makes sense. Being portable isnt a huge deal.

My budget for the new computer is: under $1000, though if I could get something that meets our needs for less, Thatd be cool.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? games, YouTube, web browsing, homework.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Just some basic games. Hes mostly into roblox, Minecraft and undertale. Though I do anticipate as time goes on, the game demands will be more heavy

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Mostly Roblox, Minecraft, undertale. Rarely simcity, the sims, Starcraft

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? Close programs

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? No

Will you be overclocking? No

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? Sorry but I dont understand the question

How many monitors are you planning to use? 1

Do you need peripherals? OS? mouse, keyboard, monitor

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? Current laptop is 6 years old and just runs really slow. Want to get him a decent computer for Christmas.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:11 AM

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? Sorry but I dont understand the question

In other words, where are you planning to buy this computer.

Next question: can you build computer yourself?

Edited by Drillingmachine, 10 November 2017 - 10:11 AM.

#3 RockyMtHigh

RockyMtHigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:02 AM

Thanks, Gotcha. Was thinking online, but maybe a big box store. I live in Denver Colorado. No clue how to build my own.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:28 AM

Since you cannot build your own, you can either order online from shop that builds it for you, can buy from local shop that builds it for you or buy OEM machine that is already built. Last option very probably gets you worse parts than first two.

#5 RockyMtHigh

RockyMtHigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

Okay cool. I am okay with that. any suggestions on what type of specs it should have? I want my son to have a good experience with it, but dont want it to be overkill.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:01 PM

If you're not opposed to refurbished (by HP, not third party), it's worth a look at this 15-inch screen series:

https://idocstore.com/hp-15-ba000-15-ba011cy-15-6-lcd-notebook.html

https://www.colamco.com/hp-inc-15-ba000-15-ba007cy-notebook-x7t85uar-aba-1442731

https://www.colamco.com/hp-inc-15-ba000-15-ba010cy-notebook-x7t88uar-aba-1442692

(notice that the different case colors, and I think there are 7 or 8 of them, is determined by the 15-ba0XXcy number)

there is also the 17" screen size equivalent (and these are much harder to find):

https://www.amazon.com/HP-17-y026cy-Laptop-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B0747ZSMTB/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510332721&sr=1-1&keywords=hp+17-y026cy&dpID=510w5atYODL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch 

http://chethington.com/hp-17-y000-17-y010cy-17-3-lcd-notebook/

and, even though they're all out of stock here:  https://www.colamco.com/search.aspx?t=hp+17-y000&st=hp+17-y000&ot=hp+17-y000#p=1&rpp=10&s=relevance&v=list&i=f&ob=f&pl=&ph=

it does give you the full set as far as color choices go, and the actual model numbers that go with each.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:00 PM

I am not a fan of laptops, especially for children.  I only recommend laptops when portability is a must have.  The two main reasons are you can get more computer for the money and a desktop isn't a fragile.  You spill a drink on a desktop keyboard it is a $20 new keyboard fix, on a laptop it is normally buy another laptop.

Here is a decent Acer machine, it doesn't have the latest and greatest, but should be a good performer.  You'll just need to add a monitor, another $100 to $200.

#8 RockyMtHigh

RockyMtHigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:51 PM

Thank you,

I am not a fan of laptops, especially for children.  I only recommend laptops when portability is a must have.  The two main reasons are you can get more computer for the money and a desktop isn't a fragile.  You spill a drink on a desktop keyboard it is a $20 new keyboard fix, on a laptop it is normally buy another laptop.

Here is a decent Acer machine, it doesn't have the latest and greatest, but should be a good performer.  You'll just need to add a monitor, another $100 to $200.

Thank you.  I do think I like the idea of getting him a desktop.  Do you have any suggestions on the monitor.  I would like to get him something somewhat nice.  He does do a lot of gaming, and my guess is over the next few years he will get into games that require more power.  

That said, will the Acer you recommend be able to handle somewhat more intense games, if that day comes?

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

And I'll be "the other side of the coin" and say that I am a bigger fan of laptops for children that you know to be even reasonably responsible.

Most of us, including adults, become rather attached to our computers and the ability to use them.  This is all the more true if one uses it for entertainment of any sort, as the desire to take that entertainment "on the road" is virtually certain to arise.

Laptops have (on the whole, there are exceptions) become a lot sturdier over the years in terms of being able to take jostling and mild shock.  Some are exceptionally good at this, even at the low end.  My partner's Toshiba c55t (I think that's the model number, he left on a trip this morning and away it went) has fallen from the hard cover on the top of his pickup truck bed twice, on to pavement, and while the case has a few chips as a result the thing still runs perfectly well.

It's really nice to be able to take a computer along on trips, to school, to relatives houses if you want to share photos you store on it, etc.   Although I still have one desktop computer it is the last one I will ever own.  I've become a complete convert to laptops outside "the office," and recommend them for certain offices where people want to or need to be able to take their work home (or wherever) with them.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#10 RockyMtHigh

RockyMtHigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:37 PM

Yeah he is pretty responsible with it, hasnt really had any issues with our current laptop. Though when it comes to taking it on the road, there isnt much reason in that I have a iPad Pro 12.9 and he has his iPhone full of games/ YouTube to stay busy. Most important for me is getting him a good computer for moderate game usage, without getting too high end or too slow.

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:46 PM

This is the monitor I ordered for my father.

Here's a New Egg list for 24" 1920x1080 monitors that support HDMI inputs.

Here's a New Egg list for 27" 1920x1080 monitors that support HDMI inputs.

Check out the ratings for a monitor in desired size and price range.

You can go smaller if you want, but I don't think I'd go below 20".  The nice thing about having a monitor with HDMI inputs is that is can be connected to many different entertainment devices, like bluray players and game machines.

You can avoid purchasing extra speakers if the monitor has speakers.

#12 RockyMtHigh

RockyMtHigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:34 PM

Here is a decent Acer machine, it doesn't have the latest and greatest, but should be a good performer.  You'll just need to add a monitor, another $100 to $200.[/quote]

Could you tell me a little more about this computer? How would it handle something a little more demanding, like Starcraft or sim city? He doesnt play them often, but Im just kind of curious. Im kinda dumb when it comes to what a computer can handle.

#13 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:07 PM

CPU is OK. Video card is OK although driver updates may be limited. It also has 256GB SSD of unknown quality. 8GB memory is OK amount. Case and PSU are crap like always on OEM machines. That should run Starcraft and Sim City, not very good but still.

Around that price (perhaps little more) you probably could get PC built from parts.

#14 RockyMtHigh

RockyMtHigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

CPU is OK. Video card is OK although driver updates may be limited. It also has 256GB SSD of unknown quality. 8GB memory is OK amount. Case and PSU are crap like always on OEM machines. That should run Starcraft and Sim City, not very good but still.

Around that price (perhaps little more) you probably could get PC built from parts.

If I want better than just ok, do you have any suggestions? With a budget of 1000, I figured I could get him something decent.

I saw this on amazon- looks cool, but is it any good/ worth the price??

CYBERPOWERPC GXIVR8020A4 PC (i5-7400, AMD RX 580 4GB, 8GB DDR4, 1TB HDD, WiFi, Win 10 Home) & Acer 24" Full HD 144hz TN Gaming Monitor Bundle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076HXMN13/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RiZbAbHSMTWCG

Edited by RockyMtHigh, 11 November 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#15 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:25 PM

If I want better than just ok, do you have any suggestions? With a budget of 1000, I figured I could get him something decent.

I saw this on amazon- looks cool, but is it any good/ worth the price??

CYBERPOWERPC GXIVR8020A4 PC (i5-7400, AMD RX 580 4GB, 8GB DDR4, 1TB HDD, WiFi, Win 10 Home) & Acer 24" Full HD 144hz TN Gaming Monitor Bundle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076HXMN13/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RiZbAbHSMTWCG

Alternative: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1K4E41

That build has better CPU, better motherboard, bigger hard drive, SSD drive and it's 50 bucks cheaper. However it has slower video card and worse monitor and it's missing WIFI.

That Amazon offer feels like bit overkill for someone not planning to play right now as video card prices are very high. My build is OK for future games if upgrading GPU and perhaps CPU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users