Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing "red Hat" V.8 With Xp Home Already Installeed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kevlamh

kevlamh

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:31 AM

:thumbsup: Hi all,

Long time since my last access to the forums, but here it is.

I have been given "Red Hat Linux" ver. 8 and would like to install it on my box.

I have XP Home SP2 fully patched on a 250Gb SATA drive and a Maxtor 40Gb ATA in the system.

A young freind of my is attending a very intensive comp. course, and he provided the software and documentation.

I manage to get the load to start, but have a problem understanding what is going on when it comes to partitioning of the HDD,

Needless to say, I don't want to format and install Linux and then XP as stated in the docs.

Any suggestions anybody???

Thanks,

Kev'
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:47 AM

Linux installs really well...and loads easier after any windows product isd installed. Actually, instaling windows after linux is the hard part...

First though, I have to ask, Why RH8? Why not go ahead and download FC 5? I know 6 has been released recently, but in my opinion, I like to give them about 3-4 months before I try it to work some of the bugs out. You'll find with FC5 or FC6 you'll have much more up to date support. But, anyway, in case you just plane want to use RH8, Then that's fine as well.

If I understand your question properly, then you are asking how to divide up your hard drive?

Well then first in Win you need to do a disk cleanup and disk defrag. Then using your system disk, or partition magic if you have it, to resize your windows partition to allow space for RH8. If available choose ext3, if not ext2 is ok.

You need a 512 Mb Swap partition, and at least 1, preferably 2, ext3 partitions. The size is up to you on those, however there should be no need to go too big (1GB would be more than enough for root) except on the OS partion. 1 will be for the operating system and 1 for root.

Example, my FC5 box is set up like this

100 GB - Operating system (will be shown during the install process as / )
1 Gb - Root ( I like to save applications I use as root)
512 Mb - Swap.

That should get you going.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 kevlamh

kevlamh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:13 AM

Joedude,

Thanks for the info, I will have to see if I can get a partition manager from our IT Geeks at work, and have a go

BTW I only have RH8 available to me - I would prefer to use another distro, but to DL another would take too long as I am using dial-up at the moment.

Regards,

Kev' :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#4 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:49 AM

wow...I feel appreciated!
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /