Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't boot.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nickyseee

Nickyseee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

Hi I'm new here so I hope I've posted this in the right place. I was hoping for some info/advice regarding my PC. I stared it up a few days ago and it was acting very slow and sluggish.
Today I have tried to boot it and it got as far as 'Booting from CD/DVD.' Then went to a black screen. How it just boots to a black screen then keeps restarting and repeats this process.
Thank you in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

Why is CD/DVD in the boot order before the HDD/SSD?   That's very unusual unless you're trying to boot from CD/DVD.

If there's anything in the drive it could be hanging on that.

The first thing I'd do is whatever is necessary to get into UEFI/BIOS on your machine and change the default boot order such that the HDD/SSD is first.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#3 Nickyseee

Nickyseee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:14 PM

Hey, The CD drive isn't before the HD in boot order, it's booted up now but I suspect a virus/malware. Something called 'PowerShell' is in my recently added programs. A Google search shows that it's a nasty Trojan. Now I need to know how to get shot of it!! :(

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:30 PM

PowerShell is a component of Windows 10.   Microsoft is deprecating Command Prompt and replacing it with PowerShell.

If you go to Settings, Personalization, Taskbar you will see:

Attached File  Personalization_Taskbar.jpg   90.29KB   0 downloads

If you wish to use Command Prompt by default then flip the toggle.

If you actually believe that you have an infection for other reasons then you should start a new thread in the "Am I infected?  What do I do?" forum after having read the pinned post:   Before You Post About A Problem for that forum.

If your machine is trying to boot from the optical drive even though boot order has the HDD/SSD first, that strongly suggests something is wrong, but it could be with the HDD/SSD itself.  It might be worth mentioning that if you post to the "Am I infected?" forum as part of your problem description.

Edited by britechguy, 09 November 2017 - 03:34 PM.
Added note about boot order at end

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users