Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-formatted Dell Optiplex 990 running Windows 7 "no boot device found"

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:27 AM

I have re-formatted this system because of infections with the original 64b Windows 7. It seemed to install correctly and went through all the Windows updates successfully.  When I re-boot the system it goes through a long Intel boot agent run and then says "PXE-E53 No boot filename received"  Next line: "no boot device found" Press any key to reboot.

I can put my cd back in and it boots up just fine. I went to the Dell website and downloaded the latest bios and installed it with same results.

I then tried to run Western Digital hard drive utility and it would not start and I took a pic of the error report which I did not really understand.  I will attach it if someone would assist me with this issue...Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:36 AM

Sounds like a hard drive failure. Tapping F12 at boot should allow you to do a System Diagnostic. Post any error codes.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:36 AM

Hi,

Do you have the correct boot order set on the BIOS?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:11 PM

do you have the lan boot rom enabled?  and set to boot in front of other devices like HDD?

#5 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for the replies...

I did run the f12 diagnostics ant it showed no errors on memory or hard drive

I set the boot order as HDD first and optical drive second.  the default shown was diskette first and usb second I think

do you have the lan boot rom enabled?  and set to boot in front of other devices like HDD?

I don't know about that...please explain...

Edited by hamluis, 09 November 2017 - 06:07 PM.
Fixed typo - Hamluis.

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

a lot of computers have a socket you can insert a boot rom chip in for a network boot, your pxe-e53 error looked like maybe the option was enabled in the bios.  and that's why it's saying " no boot device found ".

#7 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:29 AM

a lot of computers have a socket you can insert a boot rom chip in for a network boot, your pxe-e53 error looked like maybe the option was enabled in the bios.  and that's why it's saying " no boot device found ".

Oh, I understand...No, I don't have that enabled...

Sounds like a hard drive failure. Tapping F12 at boot should allow you to do a System Diagnostic. Post any error codes.

I tried to run a hd test on the WD and this is the error I get:Attached File  prtscrn2.jpg   86.97KB   1 downloads

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

It looks like you are trying to run WD diagnostics from some kind of boot disk. I do not think it will boot if you BIOS setting is set to UEFI and not Legacy. Dell diagnostics confirmed the drive was good. I think somehow your Windows install became corrupted.

Can you check your BIOS/UEFI settings. Is it set to UEFI and not Legacy?

https://web.sas.upenn.edu/jasonrw/2016/04/07/uefi-and-a-dell-optiplex-990/

#9 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

It is definitely Legacy...I have formatted twice with same results....Could it be a boot sector issue? Why would it boot just fine with the windows cd in the drive?  I restart and when the screen says "press any key to boot from cd" I ignore it and it boots fine???

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

I am not sure about the CD booting when you ignore it. Probably because no OS on the hard drive is detected.

Can you change from Legacy to UEFI?  We would need to redo the install using some diskpart commands beforehand.

#11 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:15 AM

When to system is booted, I go to file explorer and the windows directory shows 15.2 gb size...this drive is 640 gb.  I can set the bios to uefi if necessary..you will need to advise me about the partitions.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:33 AM

This is going to be a complete reinstall. The drive will be wiped. You do not need any data currently on the computer, correct?

Change your BIOS to UEFI from Legacy.

Boot your Windows 7 install DVD.

When you get to the Window that asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart            Opens a diskpart command prompt

list disk

select disk X     Where X is the drive you will be installing windows to. X should be 0 on a single drive computer.

clean all            This will zero wipe the drive which should be done because you were previously infected. 

convert gpt       This is required to boot a disk when using UEFI

exit                    Exits out of diskpart

exit                    Exits out of command prompt

Continue with the install. Follow the below guide. When you get to the windows showing partitions you will have none. Click next and Windows will automatically partition and format the drive.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-7-2624917

Doing the clean all command to zero the drive will take some time. You know it will finish when you see the diskpart prompt again.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 November 2017 - 11:34 AM.

#13 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

I got to the step "select disk" and typed "0" and it showed the prompt diskpart. I then typed clean all and it showed "no disk selected"  I tried it again by typing "disk 0". same results.  It is not accepting the drive select command

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:21 PM

Can you provide a screenshot after the list disk command? A camera shot would work.

#15 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:28 PM

here it is:

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users