Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winme Install. Won't Accept Product Keys

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jus' Mom

Jus' Mom

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:39 AM

I have finally gotten my daughters HP Compaq Presario running. Now, my problem is re-installing Windows ME. I have tried the restore cd's that came with the comp. but that only takes me to a blank screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner. Downloaded a WinME cd from Limewire, it does really good til it gets to the product key. My daughters product key isn't accepted and given another one from HP it didn't work either. What can I do? Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:00 AM

Other than the additional product key from HP what else did they tell you?
It should have worked.

I would suggest contacting them again.

Anything you downloaded from Limewire is pirated and possibly could be corrupted.

#3 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:39 AM

Yeah I wouldn't suggest using an OS you downloadedfrom Limewire. As Enthusiast siad, its pirated and could be corrupted. Not only that, it could be infected some sort of malware.

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:28 PM

Compaq should give you another restore cd, what was the original problem with the computer that made it not function?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:28 PM

Did you set the cd to boot first in the bios?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:40 PM

Why do you want to install Windows ME anyway?
ME = Mistake Edition.
Very few people run it.
Technicians cringe when they hear it!

I would run either 98 or XP.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:36 AM

Compaq should give you another restore cd, what was the original problem with the computer that made it not function?

I may be mistaken but since 9X is no longer in production I do not believe you can get replacement OEM copies of 9x or ME.
If this computer was originally designed with 9x in mind I would consider windows 2000 Pro. It is far more stable than 9x or ME and chews up less resource than XP. I had sevral older machines setup with XP, going from ME. I installed W2k when the OS had to be reinstall. XP bogged down with the P-II and slower P-III (less then 500mhz) computers. I find it as stable as XP.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:30 AM

I may be mistaken but since 9X is no longer in production I do not believe you can get replacement OEM copies of 9x or ME.
If this computer was originally designed with 9x in mind I would consider windows 2000 Pro. It is far more stable than 9x or ME and chews up less resource than XP. I had sevral older machines setup with XP, going from ME. I installed W2k when the OS had to be reinstall. XP bogged down with the P-II and slower P-III (less then 500mhz) computers. I find it as stable as XP.

Posted Image

W2k is still supported by M$, but is old enough that I was able to talk the local computer shop into giving me a copy with a viable product code, and had no problems getting the sp4 and updates.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:59 AM

Windows 2000 Pro is excellent and is fact is what XP is based on.
In fact, it imo is superior to XP Home.

It is an extremely stable op system, far more so than any previous system and will have secondary support for five more years.

If you get that put on your computer you will be very happy (if your computer will support it).

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:40 PM

I am just curious, how much RAM and what processor do you have in your computer?

Edited by acklan, 24 September 2006 - 12:40 PM.

#11 Jus' Mom

Jus' Mom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:12 PM

Thankyou for all the help. Sorry, I forgot I posted here. Was going to ask a question now and realized I seemed awfully rude by not responding.

how much RAM and what processor :

Windows 2000 Pro: I have that on another computer that I got from a friend. I will be working on it next.

replacement OEM copies of 9x or ME: Compaq didn't offer anything.

Compaq should give you another restore cd, what was the original problem with the computer that made it not function?: My daughters kids got to the comp....don't know exactly what they did but she brought it to me with the power on switch wires broken. That was only one of the many things it had wrong.

Why do you want to install Windows ME anyway?

Did you set the cd to boot first in the bios?: yes

Why do you want to install Windows ME anyway?: that is what her comp. came with. she has all the disks,etc. she doesn't have the money to upgrade and I can't be buying upgrades for everyone that wants me to try to find what's wrong with their comp's.

Yeah I wouldn't suggest using an OS you downloadedfrom Limewire. As Enthusiast siad, its pirated and could be corrupted. Not only that, it could be infected some sort of malware.: Didn't realize it is considered pirated. It says shareware and says its legal. I didn't use that though. Finally got her cd's to work.

Thank you everyone. It is now running!

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:03 AM

Why do you want to install Windows ME anyway?: that is what her comp. came with. she has all the disks,etc. she doesn't have the money to upgrade and I can't be buying upgrades for everyone that wants me to try to find what's wrong with their comp's.

Thank you everyone. It is now running!

Free is good. If you already have the OS and you cannot afford the upgrade that is very good. Not everyone has problems with ME. I would recommend putting those CD in a very safe place. If damged the computer will be useless. I'm very happy to see you have the computer up and running.
I look forward to your next post.

Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users