Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

it says i need admin permissions to delete a file

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ketanco

ketanco

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

I uploaded a program installation folder to my computer, from where our instuctor for the class gave us

and then by mistake before installing runtime environment, i installed the program itself and of course it didnt run

now i am trying to completely remove the progam. i tried uninstall but during installation it asked me if to keep some files and i said no because it said other programs may be also using them. and it said it  will not do any harm to keep them

so i said no to them and it finished installation and said it could not remove everything and i must remove some manually

but now i can not do it. i go to program files and that folder and can not even delete that folder. it says i need admin permission, well this is my own personal computer how can i give myself permission, i am already logged in as primary user to my own computer .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:00 AM

Hi,

Follow this if you have Windows 10 https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-add-take-ownership-context-menu-windows-10-a.html

or this https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html for Windows 7.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 ketanco

ketanco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:29 AM

this talks about modifying menu for all files and folders. i do not want to make any permanent or big changes to my computer. is there another way?

and lets say if i do this, will i be able to remove this button later? my computer works just fine since long time. i dont want to create bigger problems just becasue of one program.

i use windows 10 by the way

Edited by ketanco, 09 November 2017 - 09:31 AM.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,679 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:31 AM

The modification doesn't have side effects it adds an extra option for some commands that you can type manually on the Command Prompt.

The page also includes instructions to remove the added option.

After the change you have to right click the folder you want to remove and use the Take Ownership option.

The manual alternative...

https://www.faqforge.com/windows/take-ownership-of-a-file-or-folder-by-command-in-windows/

Edited by SleepyDude, 09 November 2017 - 10:35 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 ketanco

ketanco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

The first method you described did not work. I installed the button, it did appear on the menu when right clicked but then when i said take ownership and then i tried to delete and it didnt do it

then i removed it again

then i am trying the command promt now

takeown /f folder_name /r /d y
icacls folder_name /grant username_or_usergroup:F /t /q

in here i type the complete folder path to folder_name right? and it will delete all files and folders under that folder i mean the entire folder right?

and how do i check my username? i went to settings > acounts > your info and then i saw my good looking picture, under it my name and last name, under it my email, under it administrator. so what is the username now? my email address written there? or my name and last name? or when i sign in it says AT-PC, AT is my initials, is that the user name?

so i type this command, insert the folder location and my username and then hit enter and then what? i am the owner and i can go there and delete it?

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,679 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

When you use the take ownership did you notice any errors?

The two commands are basically the same executed by the take ownership "shortcut" they only change the permissions to allow deleting the folder.

the icacls command can be executed like this:

icacls folder_name /grant "%username%":F /t /q

you must execute the commands on a Command Prompt running as Administrator.

___
Rui

#7 ketanco

ketanco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:35 PM

no i didnt notice any errors. i did it now again to make sure and no. no errors. it is successfully making the take ownership option visible in the menu. it also makes a run as administrator option visible.

i take ownership but then when i try to delete, it doesnt let me.

and in your last post i am not clear what i must write, it shows

takeown /f folder_name /r /d y
icacls folder_name /grant username_or_usergroup:F /t /q

but you write

icacls folder_name /grant "%username%":F /t /q

so i write only the line starting with icacls as you just write and not the line starting with takeown?

and how about the username? i went to settings > accounts > your info and then i saw my good looking picture, under it my name and last name, under it my email, under it administrator. so what is the username now? my email address written there? or my name and last name? or when i sign in it says AT-PC, AT is my initials, is that the user name?

#8 Knat

Knat

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:45 AM

and how about the username? i went to settings > accounts > your info and then i saw my good looking picture, under it my name and last name, under it my email, under it administrator. so what is the username now? my email address written there? or my name and last name? or when i sign in it says AT-PC, AT is my initials, is that the user name?

Hi, when you sign in, whatever it calls you on the login screen before you put in your password, that's your username. Sounds like maybe AT-PC, in your case. 

If you want to check, you can do something like this: 

If you can open your documents file, right click any document, and look at the properties, it will say something like:

C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents

Alternatively you can click start, type cmd, and press enter. A command prompt will open and it will say:
C:\Users\YourUserName>

You may now close the command prompt window. 

Edited by Knat, 10 November 2017 - 07:49 AM.

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,679 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

Hi,

Can you post the result of the command:

icacls full_folder_name

The "%username%" is replaced with the correct user name

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users