Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow 10 min. startup - expert needed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 insomniacno1

insomniacno1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:26 AM

Hi, I'm a long time tech(29 years of computersevice) looking to find someone here with Medion and windows 10 experience, that could help me find out why it takes 10 minutes to start up win10, and be ready to use.

After the 10 minutes the computer works fine, though there can be some lag when it has allot of progs open.

Machine info:

Medion akoya Ultrabook

i5 Cpu

8GB ram

Seagate 750GB HDD

32GB hidden SSD with recovery

Upgraded from windows 7 that worked just fine

Just after the upgrade to win10 in 2015, the machine booted to desktop and were ready to use within minutes.
I already ruled out the HDD(has 1 HDD with windows and 1SSD with recovery(32GB hidden)), as I have tested it with defrag prog, and Seagate's own test tools (Dos and win), and a Dos tool that checks and recovers bad blocks, and an S.M.A.R.T. reader.

I have ruled out the drivers, for graphic(usually they can cause slowdown if not installed correctly), sound, chipset, bluetooth, wi-fi. I used orig. Medion. drivers and the newest ones from nVidia, intel, and realtek.

I have worked long time supporting and building computers, and troubleshooting, but so far I can't for the life of me, figure out why it's so slow. I turned off all startup programs and services, scanned for malware and virus with some of the best progs on the market, didn't help a bit.

I searched up and down the net to try and find an explanation, and tried some guides on how to speed up the HDD access time, but it didn't help on the startup time.

From boot to windows startup = a few seconds

From windows startup until desktop and ready to use = 10+ minutes

Booting linux via USB = 1½ minute and ready to use

This behaviour is so unusual that I can't find similar on the net, when it's not driver related.

Personally I don't use Win10, I have Peach OSI on my own systems, but I have worked with and done support on MS products since Dos and GEM (before Windows), and normally the first thing that pops into mind with this kind of problem is drivers - but not this time.

Hope someone here has some ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

go into the task manager and look under the performace tab.   Is your CPU or HDD being slammed at 100%?  if so then you may have some adware/malware/mining software running in the background that's killing your performance times.

if this is the case then in the download area on this site are a few programs I would run to check this:

RKILL
ADWcleaner

malwarebytes

run them one at a time RKill can take a while to run sometimes, just let it go and do it's thing.  then run the others.

#3 insomniacno1

insomniacno1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

go into the task manager and look under the performace tab.   Is your CPU or HDD being slammed at 100%?  if so then you may have some adware/malware/mining software running in the background that's killing your performance times.

if this is the case then in the download area on this site are a few programs I would run to check this:

RKILL
ADWcleaner

malwarebytes

run them one at a time RKill can take a while to run sometimes, just let it go and do it's thing.  then run the others.

Thank you for your reply, but as I stated above, I have already checked for Malware and virus, Malwarebytes is one of my goto tools as I have a license for the full version. So is sophos, Trend Micro, Bullguard, Dr. web, Superantispyware, ccleaner and a few others.

As stated above, the system works fine after the 10 minutes startup, only with lag when too many progs are open the same time.

#4 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:08 PM

Honestly sounds like you might have a few corrupt files in your windows 10. I honestly think the only option you might have would be a fresh install. I was reading over another post made on answers.microsoft where someone had the same issue but took there system roughly 35 minutes to fully function without "lag" or issues. He stated a fresh install fixed it. 

A direct quote from the man himself on page 2.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power-winpc/windows-10-35-minute-boot-time-on-fast-pc/f662cadd-39c3-4aa6-846b-5cfb047ac62a

The problem apparently was Windows 10 did a partial or corrupt install and that was that. No going forward, no going back. I am out of pocket financially and have spent almost 2 weeks trying to fix it. I now need to spend a lot more time reconfiguring the machine and reinstalling all of my applications. I really hope Windows 10 is worth it. -BradWRO

Edited by TyronSmiteApril, 09 November 2017 - 07:09 PM.

#5 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

sfc /scannow

at elevated command prompt yet?

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:22 PM

How long Windows 10 takes to boot into Safe Mode?

Edited by FreeBooter, 10 November 2017 - 03:46 AM.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:08 PM

Hi, well I have never seen myself as a squirt under pressure, so please forgive me for responding. Windows is performing something, or some program is hanging (for eg :- if your drive was marked as dirty it could be locked in a check disk loop) you might get a better idea, by invoking verbose startup, then you should see where in the process it is hanging (worth a shot).

Open a cmd as admin and copy paste at the prompt:-

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v VerboseStatus /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Press enter, you should receive a success message, restart and follow the on screen processes, to turn off, run the cmd again change 1 to 0 for value data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users